Dr.Bedlam

Embarrassing Crushes

181 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, pcktlnt said:

Cartoon crushes? Gadget from Rescue Rangers. XD

I almost made it through the thread without sharing one. But, yeah, Gadget. The nose, man, the nose.

And to toss in my not crush but always find attractive, Jasmine from Disney's Aladdin.

6 people like this

Yup, Gadget, and going back even further - Mrs. Brisby from The Secret of N.I.M.H.... It's definitely the nose, lol.

04fabd178931896.jpg

Also, Lady Amalthea from The Last Unicorn...

Edited by Mad Jack
8 people like this

My first TV crush was Connie Sellecca, from The Greatest American Hero.

Not much later it was Heather Thomas from The Fall Guy.   My friend Oscar gave me her “Love & Laughs” poster, probably because he wasn’t allowed to hang it up at home.

For cartoon crushes, my first was and will always be Trelaina of Telezart, from Star Blazers.  (Sorry, Nova!)  From the Wikipedia article, it seems likely I watched the original U.S. airing of that show on KTVU 2 via cable.

6 hours ago, knarthex said:

Erin Grey, Buck Rogers in the 25th century 

6 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Definitely.

3 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

Erin Grey...

My co-worker once said that every male of a certain age who he’s asked, knows immediately what the phrase “Off-think!” references.

3 people like this

I'm not sure I found it embarrassing, then or now, but Louise Jameson because of her character Leela on Doctor Who.  Leela was as likely to rescue the Doctor as the other way around and was more likely to attack the monster of the week rather than stand around screaming.  

6 people like this

Bert Reynolds. He was my first girlhood crush. Based on the Cannonball run series. I was like 10. I know, that doesn't even excuse it.

----

AND this is embarrassing crushes. You all are way too mainstream and white bread in what embarrasses you. Come on people! There's gotta be some more unusual choices out there. 

(Though of course Jack was able to step up to the plate. *gives Jack a high five!* Though I have a feeling Jack isn't actually embarrassed. (And this is not saying that I think he should be.)

Anways, some of you all gotta cough up the actual goods. Which ones were your embarrassing ones. 

Edited by Thes Hunter
6 people like this

55 minutes ago, Erifnogard said:

I'm not sure I found it embarrassing, then or now, but Louise Jameson because of her character Leela on Doctor Who.  Leela was as likely to rescue the Doctor as the other way around and was more likely to attack the monster of the week rather than stand around screaming.  

I'm sure it had nothing to do with the little teeny leather outfit she wore on the show. Although I agree, as a Warrior of the Sevateem, she was not generally a shrinking violet.

5 people like this

5 minutes ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

I'm sure it had nothing to do with the little teeny leather outfit she wore on the show.

Of course not!  Why my respect for her warrior prowess was too great for me to be swayed by such a frivolous detail!  Actually, given my age at the time I was probably more impressed with her knife and willingness to use it.

Though to be fair it wasn't that teeny.  Mostly its the lack of leggings that make it seem so.

4 people like this

1 hour ago, Thes Hunter said:

Anways, some of you all gotta cough up the actual goods. Which ones were your embarrassing ones. 

Actually... I don't think I'm embarrassed to have crushes on the ones I'm thinking about, other than Gadget, since she's a cartoon character. Hmm...maybe Shu Qi, she has some quirky side characters in films...but she also stars in softcore... O__o

5 people like this

8 hours ago, Sanael said:

And, bonus fictional character crush: Cleopatra, of course! What a nose!

242929_101008.jpg

7 people like this

1 hour ago, Thes Hunter said:

Anyways, some of you all gotta cough up the actual goods. Which ones were your embarrassing ones. 

Challenge accepted.  And I’m playing this competition to win.

Just to set the background, I am over 50 years of age, happily married with three kids, one of them in college.  I have never revealed the following information to anyone outside my immediate family.  Here, then, is my confessional:

Back in my college post-grad days, while dating my soon-to-be wife, I discovered Japanese manga, and latched onto one title in particular.  Completely hooked onto it.

So, in our family room’s curio case, I have a Belldandy shrine.

The shrine is a collection of about a half dozen figures, some vinyl prepaints, some garage kits I’ve assembled and painted myself.  I have about a dozen or more unassembled Belldandy resin kits that will be added one-by-one as I finish them.

Not just that.  I have the complete “Oh My Goddess!” English-language manga collection from Dark Horse, and most of the Japanese edition, too.  I have pretty much all of the translated video releases on laserdisc and DVD.  Name the merchandise, and I probably have it:  posters, calendars, Kousuke Fujishima art books, trading cards, screen savers, and more.

On occasion, when faced with an ethical dilemma, I have half-jokingly asked myself “WWBD?”  (Usual answer: Defuse the situation by serving tea.)  If I ever got drunk enough to agree to a tattoo (and that would be very, very drunk), I know in my heart what that tattoo would be.

My wife teases me sometimes about my goddess “girlfriend”, as she calls it.  My daughter calls me a weeaboo.  I don’t much care.  I’m never cleaning out the curio cabinet.

Embarrassing enough?  Good.  Now, let us never, ever speak of this again.

13 people like this

Harrison Ford. Except my sister declared him as her famous person crush before I did, so to keep the peace I kept it secret. :lol:

For IRL, there was Vernon, a very tall boy I was in band with during middle school, who was intelligent and kind, had very bad acne, and was a perfect gentleman in every way. I never once felt awkward around him in the usual middle-school manner, since he treated me like a friend, rather than a girl. I'm also fairly certain he never once had a clue I had a crush on him. ^_^

As far as embarrassing crushes...well, I guess I will confess that my deepest, strongest crushes were never real people, they were both video game characters: Cloud from FF7, and Squall Leonhart from FF8 (though that was based more on his looks, since I never actually played that one until quite recently). My little teenage heart melted into a twitterpated puddle every time Cloud was on-screen, and I would daydream about being in Tifa's place (the fact that I look a little bit like her helped). :wub: Even now, I tend to get a bit squeeful whenever I see a really good Cloud cosplay, since it's almost literally my fantasy crush come to life. :lol: 

I'm...not sure if MrBoot knows this or not. I do think it an amusing irony that he does actually look a fair bit like Squall. I keep trying to convince him into a Squall cosplay; one of these days I will succeed! :upside:

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

11 people like this

Mm yeah, Harrison Ford :wub:

Pierce Brosnan, because of Remmington Steel. My mom loved that show. I had no idea what was going on, I just loved the guy with the accent. 

And of course, David Bowie, the Goblin Prince :wub: :wub: 

Oh! And the dress from Labyrinth :lol: 

6 people like this

It's quite OK to have a Belldandy shrine.

I mean, she IS a Goddess after all. and smokin hot...  

Got the OVA and the TV Series, and just maybe a Manga or two.

And a movie... 

4 people like this

Diana Rigg (  The Avengers)

Kelly Garrett ( Charlies Angels)

Debby Harry ( Blondie)

Angie Dickinson ( Pepper)

Grace Lee Whitney ( Star Trek)

Edited by Glitterwolf
6 people like this

Cassandra Peterson (Elvira, Mistress of the Dark)

Linnea Quigley (Return of the Living Dead, Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-o-Rama)

4 people like this