Hold it more gently. Wash hands before painting, and avoid touching your face. You don't want oils getting all over the figure if you can avoid it. I think some folks use gloves. Hold in areas that are easy to touch-up. 

Touch it up when you're done but a few spots are worn off. I usually end up with one or two worn areas by the time I'm done a figure, even when it is on a holder. The rock base of my necromancer lady had a few areas on the edges that were worn a few times, since I had a thumb there occasionally. Right before sealing, I dabbed the color back in place (helped that the rock was splotchy on purpose, so the touch-up wasn't so noticeable). 

• Like 1

Since it’s Bones plastic, and a small mini, just put a sewing pin in a pin vise, pointed end out, then poke it into the mini on the underside in a spot that won’t show.  Instant miniature holder!  You won’t have to touch it until it’s sealed.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Grumpy Cave Bear said:

Since it’s Bones plastic, and a small mini, just put a sewing pin in a pin vise, pointed end out, then poke it into the mini on the underside in a spot that won’t show.  Instant miniature holder!  You won’t have to touch it until it’s sealed.

That, or pin it through the places you're going to attach to the base when it's done.

Or attach it to the base before painting, of course. I've started painting the bases first, then priming and attaching the figures, then painting the figures, and I think I like that workflow better than what I had been doing.

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice.  I'm sure some future minis will end up with better paint jobs because of it ::):

5 hours ago, NecroMancer said:

Reminds me of Futurama, nicely done!

All glory to the hypnotoad! :lol:

• Like 1

Intellect devourers were also one of my all time faves.  I always loved the painting on the front of the Waterdeep accessory, the crustacean-like beholder, a drow woman and some devourers lurking below.  I also have this mini, I was thinking much the same general paint scheme, I'll have to get working on it!  Will also have to remember to hold gently ::P:

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words ::):

On 10/17/2017 at 9:52 PM, stormbreach said:

Intellect devourers were also one of my all time faves.  I always loved the painting on the front of the Waterdeep accessory, the crustacean-like beholder, a drow woman and some devourers lurking below.  I also have this mini, I was thinking much the same general paint scheme, I'll have to get working on it!  Will also have to remember to hold gently ::P:

I know that cover art!  It's the one where the beholder looks really bored and the intellect devourers have cat bodies for some reason (maybe freaky crossbreeding with displacer beasts? :lol: )