Thrym

14626 :: Herald of Blood :: Thrym WIP #4ad6c62d-9df5-435c-9275-7c6d578b4718

YAY!  Clearance items begotten from Game Kastle and I managed to find not one but TWO of the minis from my wishlist in their clearance!!  WOOOHOOO!

HERALD OF BLOOD

This golem or construct of the gnomes from deep within the world is brilliantly painted by Martin Jones in the Reaper Catalog:

14626_p_1_mj.jpg
Painted by Martin Jones

And while I didn't want his work to influence mine I will be doing at least two things the same:

A.

Glowing Runes and Eyes

B.

Not Stone Spikes

I assembled this gentleman first with the idea of "full menacing pose" so both arms are over his head.

And amusingly, without referencing the above image, I swapped his arms.

So to start off, here he is Primed, Basecoated in Vallejo Game Color Yellow Olive and the Runes are in Vallejo Panzer Aces Stencil.

59e4380365fb9_PrimedBasecoat.jpg.3ae718e9ca72a0bfa31a33a0a3586f56.jpg

GOAL!!!!

On the base, is a piece of slate and green stuff to simulate cavern floor.  Two fallen or unused mine supports are behind him.

What's next ... well, I think the final colors are going to be Purple / Black Granite with a Green under-color.

The Runes will be a glowing Reaper Rach Red .

The Spikes will be converted into Crystals.  Which might entail some blunting of the ends to get a more crystalline appearance. 

These crystals will ultimately be Red/Purple or Purple/Green to fit the theme so far.

ENJOY and Stay Tuned!

Edited by Thrym
  • Like 8

Very cool!  I wish my FLGS had a bargain bin with miniatures!  They have a 50% off bin for paints which is where I got all the Citadel paints I have (about 20 pots).

I'm looking forward to see how this comes out!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NecroMancer said:

Very cool!  I wish my FLGS had a bargain bin with miniatures!  They have a 50% off bin for paints which is where I got all the Citadel paints I have (about 20 pots).

I'm looking forward to see how this comes out!

Thank you.

Game Kastle is on the other side of the U.S. from me.  They have a ton of clearance on their website. 

I posted about it in the Department of Acquisitions!  I got the Herald of Blood and more ...

The closest FLGS's from me that carry actual miniatures are in Rochester, Syracuse or Ithaca ... all of which are about equidistant from me (40-60 minutes away).  So, I also shop online a lot.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Talae
      I picked up an airbrush kit on sale back in November. It came with two brushes, a compressor, and some other stuff.

Here is a picture:

The brush that I have been using mostly so far is the Badger Patriot 105. I say mostly because I have sprayed paint through it more than once, lol. I started with the bottom fed one (the 350) for one sitting of like 30 minutes, then tried another sitting with the 105 for like 30 minutes.

I have since used the 105 for something like three sittings of 30-60 minutes. My total airbrush experience is something like 2.5 hours plus another 1.5 hours of cleaning and practice assembly.

I have primarily just tried primers. The latest attempt has been applying Vallejo Surface Primer (black) to some of the graveyard set, namely the crypt and the fencing.

Here are those results (minus a rogue golem arm that missed being airbrushed until I cleaned up and was later brushed with the same color in order to prevent having to clean the airbrush for one piece):

I am thinking that I might try and use my Dwarven Forge paints to make this match the Dungeon terrain I have, but am not sure yet...and if I do go that route, would it be better to go with my typical dry rush route or should I be trying to apply colors on top of this with the airbrush? Or is there a different approach that I should be taking?
    • By Kev!
      Howdy,

Stoned...

Kev!
    • By Darcstaar
      I started painting these in 2007!  I had received two sets on clearance from a gaming website.
      I picked them up again briefly in 2011.
      I had just purchased a bunch of Vallejo Game Colors.
      I recently picked them up again to get them off the shelf of shame that they seemed to be permanent fixtures of.
      Sadly, the VGC Paints were not able to salvage.  One of them was more done than the others, so he looks a little different.
      The front right of the first picture.
      I finished them off quickly with Reaper paints.

This was the first time I primed minis white, then built up layers of very thinned basecoats.
      It made these guys much brighter.

Sorry some of the pics are out of focus.

I am thinking to do the next set more black/red or more of a realistic lizard scheme.
      Enjoy.

• By Darcstaar
      Just a quick paint job I did a few months back.
      I am still trying to learn True Metallic Metal technique.
      Based on the pictures, I still have learning left to do.
      There are some dilute black, blue, brown, and flesh colored washes in there.
      His close up of his face reminds me of Ultron.
      He is set to be a construct for our Reign of Winter Pathfinder campaign.

Enjoy.  C&C Welcome, as well as any advice or recipes for TMM would be appreciated.

• Who's Online   30 Members, 4 Anonymous, 55 Guests (See full list)