Sign in to follow this  
Evilhalfling

Evilhalfling builds, and plays kingdom of death

we fought one more lion and finally got its eye.  

The Sleeper collected the bones of the sacrificial Bailise, getting slightly stronger.  (missing the jackpot chance)

Moonchild (evasion savior)  did just fine most of a white lion armor was developed. 

then the settlement had alot of kids.  four new children decided to call themselves the shadowfist street gang.  Then a heatwave struck making it diffcult to carry heavy gear or most of the groups armor.  Then they got word that a kingsman was coming.  The Shadowfists said they could take him, while the adults snickered.  Lazy Dragon (a shadowfist) tried the Forbidden Dance, and actually learned KingStep!   which makes the kingsman beatable!   but before the adults could reconsider the kids grabbed up the gear they had been offered and ran out.   They came very close to beating the Kingsman, getting him down to 3 cards,   with 2 gang-bagers still alive.   But he ended up with a knocking them both over, again and again, and they ran out of encouragement. 

he stomped them both without letting them make another attack. 

Then it is year 10, the best year for hunting phoenix.  (this is just rumor) 

so I had to assemble the beast.  It took two days and It broke my  x-acto knife, not being able to find the blades I bought 8 years ago, there was shopping involved too.  

Now that there is an official build guide it wasn't too bad, even the 30 tiny hands.  Tweezers were required for placement, but I had them ready. 

I had grand plans of pinning it so that the wings and base were removable, for painting/transport.  

I could not get that to work.  The base pins would not hold it in place on the thin base provided, and the wings are really tight fits, I couldn't make the holes line up properly.  So yup, just glued everything down.  

villians.jpg.7bf5bcc86aba71cd80638eee32097d50.jpg

from the armor kits:

female in rawhide, unarmored F & M, male in rawhide and young survivor. 

The female isn't done, she has bone darts on her back hip, and once I paint her back she will carry a harp as well. 

a founders stone was modified to a throwing dart.  I have named the minature, "unarmored but not unprepared"   

I have a tendency to field support characters, who wear little if any armor. and handle things like instruments, cat-eye jewelry and may carry darts as only weapon. 

the others.2jpg.jpg

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 10

One easy battle, one hard but it feels like I am slowly gaining ground. 

Assembling the Hand was easier than any of he Villains, and was done in an evening.  I added just a touch of paint to him. but left him mostly colorless - after fighting him I really want to paint him in only  red/green/blue + some metallics 

Spoilers 

Phoenix 

First the phoenix  I did not go into that battle with enough insanity. 

He kept aging my heroes,  every one of them ended one age token away from dying of old age.  and those don't go away,  I have 3 guys on emergency hunts only and one will retire if I make him hunt again, literally "Im too old for this broccoli" 

and the bird kept frigging landing on top my heroes.   After finally beating him, I almost didn't get the right resources from him. His gear is very specific.   If I hadn't kept a feather from year 7, the only thing I would have gotten out of the hunt was old people and a single arrow.   With the bonus feather I did get a chest plate which is amazing, but messes up my other gear builds to use. 

I don't understand how this is supposed to be a repeatable hunt.  

The Hand 

Then the I resisted the hand destroying all me raw materials.  I dont get to look at HL or AI before a battle, but once I commiteed to the battle  I can read through the starting traits.  

um so if I win he kills one person and sets fire to everyone else?  instead of losing raw materials, I could loose carefully crafted gear? this might have been a mistake.  ill bring my last founders stone so I can time his defeat carefully. 

I wasn't sure what kind of strategy would work best regarding auras.  Each character could have an aura that was red, blue, green, a combination of 2 or colorless (all 3)  so I shuffled my gear to make sure I had options.  Each time the hand was wounded by someone,  The hand gained options based on colors.  I manipulated both his Hit locations and AI  deck, but after wounding him only three times,  I got to a point where I just didn't want to hit him on any of he top 3 locations.    the survivors  milled about and tried not to die rather than attacking.   The battle had a time-limit,  I just had to survive. 

The funniest moment was when the Hand pointed at a spot next to him, effectively  saying "come stand here so I can hit you"  I desperately ran a character over there so I could avoid the consequences of not giving him a target.  He knocked down my sacrifice and made him roll on 2 severe injuries, but the dice didn't kill him. 

I knew that having survival points left at the end dropped the chance of dying in the aftermath from 30 % to 10%  so my Savior was running a round trying to harvest plants for survival before the fight ended.   Instead the aftermath gave a huge boost to 3/4 of the characters.  

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 3

Starting a game with my D&D group! 

We hit a place to pause at 9th level and will start a KD game after thanksgiving (nov 26th)  we will play until we hit the watcher or (more likely) 

get destroyed.  I'm not sure if we will be playing 5 player (each monster gets +2 health, before losing AI cards)

Im chucking the damage bonus listed for 5-6 players, it would just lead to players sitting out more of showdowns.  

if its too easy, we can always hunt bigger game. 

Another option is that I act as permanent monster controller.  And we do 4 people showdowns & settlement choices as normal. 

We play 12:30 to 5 about x3 times a month,. I figure at least 2 years per session,  2.5 if we are really rolling. 

I need to finish painting the Hand, Kingsman and Phoenix  before I bring them out to play, but I have plenty of time.

But I needed them all at once in my home game. 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 3

Photo of the fight with the hand (recreated) 

This photo strikes me as weird, because I never seem to have the right figures assembled and painted.  The two figures assembled wearing rawhide armor actually had on full screaming antelope, and a mishmash of phoenix, leather, and antelope.  the support people One archer, one with support items, were actually wearing rawhide.

I started to assemble a screaming fur armor set, after this fight it will be in memory of "The great and powerful Turtle"   his 5-6 points of armor and leather shield, were not quite durable enough. The Hand just kept hitting him until he broke. 

the Hand.jpg

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 7

killed another Phoenix, he brought 3 characters to the edge of retirement, despite my best efforts. 

One character reached max understanding before the fight and had a chance of becoming ageless .. but no the dice did not fall my way. 

so  had like 6 people on the esge of retirement  mostly from 2 pheonix hunts.  But when they returned from the hunt there was another plauge, which killed half the elders.   

problem solved KoD style - roll some 1s and 2s, everybody dies. 

Now im in the middle of a fight with l2 Butcher.

He makes a minum of 3 attacks around, every attack causes bleeing, and He killed the one guy who can stop bleeding. 

On the plus side he has a movement of 4 (cause wounded), My survivors move at 5-7  and we have a bow and some darts, range 6. 

If he cant reach people he tends to stand still and yell at them, eventually causing brain damage.

can I kite him before he wipes us out ? 

Ill just have to see. 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Taking my lion to paint club today, I need to put some spit and polish since I am starting new campaign 

we still lost 1 more to the butcher.  It turns out if he cant reach someone He runs towards them anyway, and with 3 actions....

I got his Cleaver this time and got a Death mask during the next hunt (probably and antelope) 2 irreplaceable gear cards 

Now Death Mask gives +4 luck, but -4 to severe injury rolls.  this means a 50%-60 chance of death if someone gets through your armor. 

So I gave it to my Archer, with all the phoenix armor I had scraped together worn haphazardly because you also cant have any gear affinities if you want the mask.  +4 luck with a str 11 (or 6)  special arrow means a good chance of picking my crits .. If the archer has some accuracy. 

erm a bunch of fights happened... attrition brought me below 10 population. 

I had to breed new survivors, and I had run out of room on my first list of names, so I started a second list. 

I would really like 3 endeavors to prepare a survivor for their first  hunt  +2 xp (for weapon choice) and synchronized strike. 

plus 1 more endeavor for the group to get some starting insanity.  Just having babies is now the easy part. 

EDIT:

the 2nd level Kingsman (shown below) is coming soon, and I keep trying to teach people his dance (10% chance, 40% they just get a permanent injury) If no one learns it by the time he comes im just going to send out 4 unimproved  kids and handwave the battle as lost. 

I went ahead and resorted all the stuff I had out for the settlement.  Im going on vacation from Sunday to Next Saturday, then starting a new group campaign, and it will be easier if all the gear s back where it is supposed to be rather than in a separate pile of "Stuff my settlement is using"   keeping track of settlements is going to get harder. 

I also have 2 new builds I want to assemble from armor kits - full leather armor &spear  and the Archer listed above in mismatched armor.  The high level and low level bow and spear don't look that different I guess I will equip the ones I am actualy using. 

unconnected Picture:
I tried out my phoenix color scheme on the feathers here.  The front still has only blackwash, but I will aim for TMM armor with gold ornamentation,

WIP king.jpg

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 5