knarthex

What would YOU like to see taught next year

Whilst sitting in class with Bob and Julie, they asked us what we would like to see taught next year..

Then I was asked if I could post it on the forums...

So here you go....

Try to keep it real.....

• Like 10

4 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

Shading fabrics!

Other fun things; can't think what others might find useful.

To expand, how to paint for specific fabrics... velvet, satin, taffeta, sheer, sequined, suede...

• Like 11

23 minutes ago, Aryanun said:

To expand, how to paint for specific fabrics... velvet, satin, taffeta, sheer, sequined, suede...

That is usually taught in the textures class if I'm correct.

• Like 6

I told Julie that I thought a demonstration classes on various scale patterns would be interesting. 

Because I know people would love to have a Julie Guthrie how to sculpt dragons class, and that in and of itself is slightly impossible. Since it would take a week (or more), but it was an idea I had how to split up into manageable bites what would be entailed in sculpting a dragon. 

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Pegazus said:

How to paint animals and woodland critters.

A request from the wife, that is. 

I would be in for this one. 

• Like 7

How to paint for competition. Tip/tricks on how to get to that next level and what the judges generally look for. 

• Like 16

Maybe longer or combo classes? I took two NMM classes but didn't feel like I have complete knowledge of it. More in depth 3 class set would be great, especially for more tricky parts like boots and buckles. Also for bodies; combo skin with hair, and maybe clothing color.

Beginner techniques class that covers all different types of blending, glazing, washing; most teachers use different techniques, it would be good to know what they are exactly and try them out. 

Track classes that are grouped together maybe at a discount... Beginner, intermediate, advanced. With specific requirements (like you need to know what a color wheel is, or basic techniques for the intermediate track, and advanced track will be stuff like free hand, competition quality, etc.) It's nice you can take any class you want but beginner students take time away from more advanced ones. The teacher shouldn't have to take time in a 2 hour class to explain basics to one person.

• Like 9

How to compose a diorama. Mini placement. Elements needed. How to tell a story instead of just creating an oversized base.

• Like 18

This was only my 2nd reapercon and I took several classes and learned a whole lot!! so first off thank you to all the instructors and organizers for putting this together.

While i think its important to have high level classes so the veterans and intermediate/advanced painters get better and better, there should still be enough beginner and intermediate classes for us rookies, it did not seem like nearly enough this year....and i know that most of the instructors probably don't want to teach such basic skills.  Also I think experts taking these classes to get reaper bucks or points taking a seat away from beginners was contributing to this issue.

another point I wanted to make was the cost vs class time. again this is only my 2nd experience at this con but at first i was taken back by the additional cost to each class until i realized that they were 2 hour classes not 1 hour so i did not mind the extra cost. then i had 2 of my 4 classes cut short because the instructor did not have material to cover all 2 hours or they were wrapping up to get lunch because of the timing of the class. both unfortunate and I'm sure not the fault of the instructors but I cant help but feel a bit cheated at the money I spent to get live Instruction instead of used that money on a mini and watched a youtube video...

Either way I still had a very fun time and I enjoyed getting to meet lots of people and get some phenomenal help on my painting techniques I'm looking forward to the next one already!

Razalas

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, Razalas said:

While i think its important to have high level classes so the veterans and intermediate/advanced painters get better and better, there should still be enough beginner and intermediate classes for us rookies, it did not seem like nearly enough this year....and i know that most of the instructors probably don't want to teach such basic skills.

If I'm correct, this year had more beginner and intermediate classes than last year.  I mean the first day alone I see 9 beginning painting and sculpting classes alone. Each with different instructors.

Also I think experts taking these classes to get reaper bucks or points taking a seat away from beginners was contributing to this issue.

Ummm im pretty sure the "experts" you mentioned didn't waste $40 for 200 reaperbucks (when a VIP bag or con bag gives more)....I'm pretty sure they took the class to get something out of it....and from looking at the schedule, a good amount of those beginner classes had open seats so I'm not sure what you mean by them "taking seats away from beginners"

another point I wanted to make was the cost vs class time. again this is only my 2nd experience at this con but at first i was taken back by the additional cost to each class until i realized that they were 2 hour classes not 1 hour so i did not mind the extra cost. then i had 2 of my 4 classes cut short because the instructor did not have material to cover all 2 hours or they were wrapping up to get lunch because of the timing of the class. both unfortunate and I'm sure not the fault of the instructors but I cant help but feel a bit cheated at the money I spent to get live Instruction instead of used that money on a mini and watched a youtube video...

So....there are many painting conventions that give instructional courses. Many will probably not charge as much, but they are usually an instructor and 30 students in a demonstration class. Very few classes anywhere else outside of ReaperCon will give you as much time and personal attention as here. If you think your instructor left early to get food or didn't cover enough material, why didn't you tell them at the con?

• Like 10

• How to critique/judge tabletop to competition level figures. I got a lot from listening to others feedback while waiting for mine.
  • How to teach miniature painting. For those who would like to bring the skills to their FLGS or even future cons.
  • Scaly beasts
  • Eyes various types, sizes and styles
  • Wings various types, sizes and styles
  • Floors, furniture, rocks and other inanimate objects
Edited by Dragoneye
  • Like 12

3 minutes ago, Dragoneye said:
  • How to critique/judge tabletop to competition level figures. I got a lot from listening to others feedback while waiting for mine.
  • How to teach miniature painting. For those who would like to bring the skills to their FLGS or even future cons.
  • Scaly beasts
  • Eyes various types, sizes and styles
  • Floors, furniture, rocks and other inanimate objects

Instruction on Painting or sculpting furniture?

• Like 4