nytflyr

check your credit card statements

Don't know why, but I checked my pending transactions after getting back from the Con. Ive had 3 unauthorized charges today, 2 for Dominos Pizza (Bryan TX, and Cartersville, GA) and proflowers. Timing may be a coincidence, but looks like some merchant in the area of the hotel or convention might be compromised.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nytflyr said:

Don't know why, but I checked my pending transactions after getting back from the Con. Ive had 3 unauthorized charges today, 2 for Dominos Pizza (Bryan TX, and Cartersville, GA) and proflowers. Timing may be a coincidence, but looks like some merchant in the area of the hotel or convention might be compromised.

Anywhere specific at the con that the card was used??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MissMelons said:

Anywhere specific at the con that the card was used??

I don't think it was anything at the con itself

• Like 1

Looks like we may have been hit as well, for a camping supply purchase.  Used the cards at the con, Reaper HQ, and various restaurants and gas stations in the area. 

You should always tug on the card readers at gas stations and ATMs before inserting your card to make sure there isn't a skimmer attached. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

Looks like we may have been hit as well, for a camping supply purchase.  Used the cards at the con, Reaper HQ, and various restaurants and gas stations in the area. 

Doh! I only used 1 card which was for the hotel and con purchases and only cash when going out to eat. 

I know people don’t like to carry cash nowadays, but it does protect you against fraud when you’re traveling and you can control more where you use your cards and have them exposed to possible skimmers out and about. 

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, Aryanun said:

You should always tug on the card readers at gas stations and ATMs before inserting your card to make sure there isn't a skimmer attached. 

This is why I almost ALWAYS go inside to a gas station or use attended ATM's inside markets and stuff. Still, someone can still jack your account if they are unethical (happened to me a few times after pizza places)

• Like 3

Double checked, these are the places I used my card:

5 Guys
Happy Seppuki

Hanger 18

Bombshell

Reaper (both Con and Store)

7-11 (Pump and inside)

Taco Hut/convenience store

Who knows how they got it (or where) just trying to raise awareness. Inarah and I could probably narrow down the list a bit to see where we were compromised

• Like 5

No issues with Hanger 18, Bombshell, or Reaper at the con with my card and I used Midnight Heroes and Queen Penguin too.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, nakos said:

No issues with Hanger 18, Bombshell, or Reaper at the con with my card and I used Midnight Heroes and Queen Penguin too.

I'm about 99.9% sure it wasn't at the con itself...

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Aryanun said:

Actually, the current crop of skimmers are using software loaded into the machine.  There's no way to tell by looking at or tugging on the card reader.  You can get an app that will detect a signature wifi signal and alert you, but you have to remember to run it before sticking in your card.  Assuming it was a machine and not a human jotting down numbers. 

Vendors aside, we ate at Taco Hut, BWW, and Saltgrass, and got gas at a Conoco, I think. 

Edited by Inarah
  • Like 4

Nothing here. I bought from most of the shops at the convention (my credit card says Reaper, Dicey Ventures, Bobe's, Arcknight, Arena Rex, Hangar 18 were all on the card) plus the food trucks (sans the hot dog place) and I bought something from the service station that had the taco stand. (Although I did not actually get tacos there!)

I stopped at the Exxon to get gas (the one near Premier Events Center, but not the Conoco).

• Like 2

There has been cases where stores and restaurants have been broken into, and while they nicked stuff they also Swapped out the card reader with one of the same model, but with doctored innards.  

Scanning for WiFi is almost useless these days as it's so prevalent. 

ATMs and card readers mounted inside gas pumps are reasonably safe from internal tampering, as you generally need a key and a way to disable the security system in order to reach the reader. 

For that reason scammers still attach skimmers to those.  

At restaurants, bars or such, NEVER ever let go of the card even for a moment. Maybe the waiter drops it?

And when he bends down to pick it up, he swipes it through a reader velcroed to his ankle. 

It's done in moments. They practice the moves for hours or days to get it to look accidental. 

If the reader is placed awkwardly, so that it's easier for a cahier or waiter to do it for you, it's a sign that you should RUN. 

Or pay cash...

Feel free to remove the magnetic stripe on one card if you have two, and just use Chip & PIN. 

Also, just because someone tried to defraud right now doesn't mean the codes were nicked recently. 

The skimmers may have 'packaged' up the information and sold it on the Dark Net for someone else to use. 

(It's less payout, but also much less danger)

• Like 3