Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
The Operative 1

First timer's surprises

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Ganryu Kojiro said:

Lastly, OneBoot was wonderful (I was in her TMM class).

 

Oh yay!!! :bday: Please PM me with what you liked best, and at least one thing you think could be improved, either in the presented material itself, or my performance as an instructor. Since this was my very first time, I would LOVE feedback! :) 

 

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

@The Operative 1

 

I don't know if I met you, or threw down some dice with you, but Welcome to the forums! Look forward to seeing you around! Please post what you paint in the show off threads, or put up a WIP or two. (Or maybe even three)

Thanks! I'm looking forward to doing a WIP very soon. Sounds like a great way to improve until the next con. 

22 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

@The Operative 1

 

I don't know if I met you, or threw down some dice with you, but Welcome to the forums! Look forward to seeing you around! Please post what you paint in the show off threads, or put up a WIP or two. (Or maybe even three)

Thanks! I'm looking forward to doing a WIP very soon. Sounds like a great way to improve until the next con. 

22 hours ago, Aryanun said:

I wasn't personally at the con (was there in spirit). Welcome to the forums! We are quite willing and eager to set you off on your new hobby.

 

First: There is no such thing as "enough paint."

 

Second: The more unpainted minis you have, the longer you live. For every mini you paint, buy two.

 

Third: Paint. Read, learn, watch youtube, but until you actually sit down and slap on the paint, all that learning won't do any good. Go. Do. Paint.

#1 and #2 sound like pretty sound facts. 

 

Youtube videos! Huh. Hadn't even thought of that. Great idea. Any recommendations before I just go googling?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, OneBoot said:

 

Oh yay, I'm glad I was helpful! :bday: Were you in my class, or were you on the shuttle bus when I was nattering on, or did I bump into you at some other time? I met so many people this weekend I'm having a hard time remembering everyone! Your username does sound vaguely familiar, though. 

 

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

I was the one who sat across from you on the bus to the tour. "The Operative 1" was from the costume I wore Sunday from Firefly (in the avatar). You suggested a beginners class but I just didn't have time since a friend drive up from Louisiana to game with us. 

 

Next time!

11 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

I'm going to try my hand at this Fancy Painting thing too, so we can learn together!

Let's do it! I'm preparing for my first personal shaming in my WIP post. Just need a little catch up at work first. 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome! I loved the costume by the way; I have considered doing that one myself.  I was the guy in Dracula who shook his head no when you flashed that girls picture.

 

Nope, never seen her.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Operative 1 said:

I was the one who sat across from you on the bus to the tour. "The Operative 1" was from the costume I wore Sunday from Firefly (in the avatar). You suggested a beginners class but I just didn't have time since a friend drive up from Louisiana to game with us. 

 

Ah, I see! Now that I zoom in on you avatar, I remember you. ^_^

 

Since you didn't have time to take the class, I would HIGHLY recommend the Bones 'Learn to paint" kits. They're like mini ReaperCon classes! I' d suggest the Core skills one first: http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/learn to paint kit/latest/08906

 

Glad to see you here on the forums, and I look forward to seeing your work in the future. :) Try not to be too discouraged if your first minis aren't where you want them to be; everybody starts out as a Level 1 Painter at some point! ^_^

 

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Welcome! I loved the costume by the way; I have considered doing that one myself.  I was the guy in Dracula who shook his head no when you flashed that girls picture.

 

Nope, never seen her.

Hey thanks! I was a little nervous no one would get it and think I was a jerk for interrogating everyone. The ones who got it made it all worth it. 

54 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

 

Ah, I see! Now that I zoom in on you avatar, I remember you. ^_^

 

Since you didn't have time to take the class, I would HIGHLY recommend the Bones 'Learn to paint" kits. They're like mini ReaperCon classes! I' d suggest the Core skills one first: http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/learn to paint kit/latest/08906

 

Glad to see you here on the forums, and I look forward to seeing your work in the future. :) Try not to be too discouraged if your first minis aren't where you want them to be; everybody starts out as a Level 1 Painter at some point! ^_^

 

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Thanks! I ended up buying the 'level up kit' and the extra paints at the con. I'm excited to try it out.

 

Which reminds me! I don't know who the excellent, helpful woman was who suggested paint combinations at the Reaper paint area, but that guidance in itself was worth buying the paint kit! Wish I could remember her name. I believe she had horns, glasses, and wore mostly black. I'd like to thank her. 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, The Operative 1 said:

Hey thanks! I was a little nervous no one would get it and think I was a jerk for interrogating everyone. The ones who got it made it all worth it. 

Thanks! I ended up buying the 'level up kit' and the extra paints at the con. I'm excited to try it out.

 

Which reminds me! I don't know who the excellent, helpful woman was who suggested paint combinations at the Reaper paint area, but that guidance in itself was worth buying the paint kit! Wish I could remember her name. I believe she had horns, glasses, and wore mostly black. I'd like to thank her. 

 

That's @Morihalda most likely! She was the only one who wore antlers at Reapercon. :)

 

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, OneBoot said:

 

That's @Morihalda most likely! She was the only one who wore antlers at Reapercon. :)

 

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Or the lady who ran the gaming area, she had green horns most of the con. (not sure of the name, Dawn?)

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Operative, it's great to see you again! I was hoping y'all would join the forums! 

 

On 10/23/2017 at 10:20 PM, The Operative 1 said:

P.S. If any of you find River Tam, let me know?

I loved that your whole group of friends dressed up for that. I completely gave myself away when I started laughing....

 

10 hours ago, The Operative 1 said:

Hey thanks! I was a little nervous no one would get it and think I was a jerk for interrogating everyone. The ones who got it made it all worth it. 

Thanks! I ended up buying the 'level up kit' and the extra paints at the con. I'm excited to try it out.

 

Which reminds me! I don't know who the excellent, helpful woman was who suggested paint combinations at the Reaper paint area, but that guidance in itself was worth buying the paint kit! Wish I could remember her name. I believe she had horns, glasses, and wore mostly black. I'd like to thank her. 

 

10 hours ago, OneBoot said:

That's @Morihalda most likely! She was the only one who wore antlers at Reapercon. :)

 

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

 

Yep, that was me! ^_^ 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, The Operative 1 said:

I was the one who sat across from you on the bus to the tour. "The Operative 1" was from the costume I wore Sunday from Firefly (in the avatar).

 

O ya, indigo gloves!

 

I use ‘em for painting, although I have recently switched to cheaper Costco ones which are not colored (in its natural state nitrile is a distressing sort of undead flesh color).

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Morihalda said:

Hey Operative, it's great to see you again! I was hoping y'all would join the forums! 

 

I loved that your whole group of friends dressed up for that. I completely gave myself away when I started laughing....

 

 

 

Yep, that was me! ^_^ 

Ah! I really appreciate your advice on the paints. I still haven't had time to sit down and paint, since I'm pretty swamped post-con, but I sure hope to try them out soon!

 

Great to meet you, and thanks a million for your help with the pain selection!

 

Cheers,

 

-Op 1

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Ganryu Kojiro said:

It was my first con, too, and I have to say how much I loved the community. As someone who went without knowing anyone else there it was nice to be able to just pick a table and make friends in minutes. Not every fan-dom works that way so it's important to count this particular blessing. I don't think I heard one unsupportive comment in my time there. Lastly, OneBoot was wonderful (I was in her TMM class).

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the 'con!

Also, welcome to the forum!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the forums. Saw your friend and yourself dressed up in the black suits walking around interrogating people.  That was an interesting sight. 

 

--- Edit--- 

As for YouTube videos,  Dr. Faust Painting Clinic has some great beginner ones.

 

@Ghool Also has great videos to help out.

 

Edited by pcktlnt
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×