Sign in to follow this  
The Operative 1

First timer's surprises

I wasn't at the con, but I'm happy to welcome you to the boards, as well as to the artistry of the hobby! You will find lots of us who paint to many standards (I paint a lot for game play, but also love getting the "next level" paintjobs, too), so feel free to ask for help from anyone here. We're a friendly (if sometimes bizarre, pedantic or just talkative) group, and we all get a thrill out of seeing someone improve.

As for Ms. Tam, I've not seen her. I promise

('round here, purple = sarcasm...but really, I haven't seen her.)

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, The Operative 1 said:

Thanks Sanael! Sounds like my kind of people. I look forward to reading through tons of good info. Already started.

Good to meet you. 

Hi there!

I came for some painting tips and found some wonderful people to hang with in the digital realm.

If you need a healthy dose of "crazy" sneak a peek at the Randomness thread.

And everybody will want to see samples of your work to cheer you on.  ::):

GEM

• Like 9

@The Operative 1

I don't know if I met you, or threw down some dice with you, but Welcome to the forums! Look forward to seeing you around! Please post what you paint in the show off threads, or put up a WIP or two. (Or maybe even three)

• Like 8

I wasn't personally at the con (was there in spirit). Welcome to the forums! We are quite willing and eager to set you off on your new hobby.

First: There is no such thing as "enough paint."

Second: The more unpainted minis you have, the longer you live. For every mini you paint, buy two.

Third: Paint. Read, learn, watch youtube, but until you actually sit down and slap on the paint, all that learning won't do any good. Go. Do. Paint.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, The Operative 1 said:

To those of you at Reapercon,

Came to the con to RPG and hang out with friends, ended up so impressed with the level of artistry possible that I came home with loads of paints and an itch to learn to paint proper-like. I'm really impressed with what I saw in competition. Great work, all of you!

I've always looked at painting minis as a way to get them into an RPG setting, nothing more, so anything ive done is marginal at best. But to shoot for something truly beautiful and artistic? I never knew! That's the goal! Your works were inspiring. 

Also, I really enjoyed how friendly everyone was. I was preparing myself for an elitist attitude from the 'higher level' painters. I was so wrong! From @OneBoot and her encouraging painting tips, Ludo's insane speed paint (curse you hecklers!), a very approachable artist's row, all the Reaper staff, Kevin's board game library (Terraforming Mars FTW!), and @LordDave with hands down the best display of DM craft I've ever seen (I've thought about that game all weekend), I thoroughly enjoyed the con.

I look forward to painting and soaking up the knowledge on the forum and hope to tap into the collective brain for some tips as I begin on a painters journey. I know nothing.

Kenneth, if you're on the forum, let me know so we can keep in touch. 

Well met, all.

P.S. If any of you find River Tam, let me know?

Oh yay, I'm glad I was helpful! :bday: Were you in my class, or were you on the shuttle bus when I was nattering on, or did I bump into you at some other time? I met so many people this weekend I'm having a hard time remembering everyone! Your username does sound vaguely familiar, though. 

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 12

9 hours ago, The Operative 1 said:

To those of you at Reapercon,

Came to the con to RPG and hang out with friends, ended up so impressed with the level of artistry possible that I came home with loads of paints and an itch to learn to paint proper-like. I'm really impressed with what I saw in competition. Great work, all of you!

I've always looked at painting minis as a way to get them into an RPG setting, nothing more, so anything ive done is marginal at best. But to shoot for something truly beautiful and artistic? I never knew! That's the goal! Your works were inspiring. 

You poor, doomed soul.

I mean...

Welcome! There is nothing wrong here! You will not be sucked into an infinite rabbit hole of hobby madness.

• Like 11

I don't think we met, but I'm glad you enjoyed the 'con and have decided to come hang out with us here; welcome aboard!

• Like 4

It was my first con, too, and I have to say how much I loved the community. As someone who went without knowing anyone else there it was nice to be able to just pick a table and make friends in minutes. Not every fan-dom works that way so it's important to count this particular blessing. I don't think I heard one unsupportive comment in my time there. Lastly, OneBoot was wonderful (I was in her TMM class).

• Like 15