Highlander

One Take on the Classes

5 hours ago, SirLarpsAlot said:

...external noise is much less of a distraction than people in the class who aren't paying attention.

Good point.  OTOH, some people may not have been paying attention because of the noise level.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2017 at 4:40 PM, Mr Melons said:

I totally agree with this. I took classes in Dracula and the noise was ok. Other than a few compressor noises from Lovejoy next door, it really wasn't bad. Even in Chucky it wasn't that bad. The one class I took in Mummy was dreadful with a ton of noise and the sound of someone incessantly playing an ocarina the entire 2 hours......the same song over and over.

Who let Zelda into the con:rolleyes:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

Who let Zelda into the con:rolleyes:

I didn't mind that she was there, but it was a bit off putting and did give me that "shut that kid up" urges. Then I realized that I was Gannon.

Edited by Mr Melons
  • Like 7

13 hours ago, Highlander said:

Good point.  OTOH, some people may not have been paying attention because of the noise level.

Or they were busy trying to get the presale for Weird Al tickets in Dallas to work.  Just sayin...  I did better at paying attention on Friday once that issue was resolved and I was in a happier place. :)

2 minutes ago, hungerfan said:

Or they were busy trying to get the presale for Weird Al tickets in Dallas to work.  Just sayin...  I did better at paying attention on Friday once that issue was resolved and I was in a happier place. :)

Ah, ha!  Priorities, priorities.

• Like 1

Noise is something that we work very hard to keep down, and while I appreciate the "move the vendors away from classrooms" request, everything (assuming we re-use that same space next year) *must* be adjacent to something. Vendors are  (nominally) quieter than the RPG/Tabletop games and the main open seating area. Until we again have a space that allows separated rooms, noise-bleed is likely to always be an issue, and creating silence is hard.

As for the other, I will definitely be talking about a "playing musical instruments" policy in our after-action "battle report". This concern has come up in many conversations.

I noticed that vendors who had something along their back wall, like Frontline Games or Hobe's Hobby Shop, were very quiet booths compared to others even within the booth area.  If there is some sort of cheap and easily constructed way to place a baffle behind vendors it might help mitigate a good deal of noise. 

I have no idea what such a construction might materialize as, but it seems that it may be the most expedient and easy way to create noise blocks.  It should be easier to reflect some noise away from the classrooms than to modify the classrooms themselves.   

• Like 10

26 minutes ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

I noticed that vendors who had something along their back wall, like Frontline Games or Hobe's Hobby Shop, were very quiet booths compared to others even within the booth area.  If there is some sort of cheap and easily constructed way to place a baffle behind vendors it might help mitigate a good deal of noise. 

I have no idea what such a construction might materialize as, but it seems that it may be the most expedient and easy way to create noise blocks.  It should be easier to reflect some noise away from the classrooms than to modify the classrooms themselves.   

That was the idea behind my suggestion for the use of heavy cloth and/or empty* cardboard boxes (the latter probably available to Reaper without extra cost) to make a back wall. It won't stop the noise, but it would probably cut the edge significantly.

* Now that I think about it, filling the boxes with packing peanuts would probably work even better.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Doug Sundseth said:

That was the idea behind my suggestion for the use of heavy cloth and/or empty* cardboard boxes (the latter probably available to Reaper without extra cost) to make a back wall. It won't stop the noise, but it would probably cut the edge significantly.

* Now that I think about it, filling the boxes with packing peanuts would probably work even better.

Great idea, I just hope there isn't a fire code that prevents it.

• Like 3

I am seeing a lot of stories about how annoying the ocarina player was. Is it bad that I wouldn't be surprised to see a post about how the ocarina's player's proctologist visit went after playing the same song over and over for two hours? And if the ocarina was still in playable condition after the visit?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, GHarris said:

I am seeing a lot of stories about how annoying the ocarina player was. Is it bad that I wouldn't be surprised to see a post about how the ocarina's player's proctologist visit went after playing the same song over and over for two hours? And if the ocarina was still in playable condition after the visit?

It was a teenage girl....

Remembering that we have at least one tin-whistle player on the Forums, for a while, I thought that was him, noodling. Even after I realized it wasn't, I didn't mind it so much; she was good enough not to squeak the thing.

Learning a few extra songs might have done the player some good, though; hearing the same one over and over again is boring. ^^:

• Like 4

On 10/25/2017 at 0:22 PM, Tristram said:

To the noise question/issue, let me add that the main announcements from the stage (for the Reaper Tour, the Auction and so forth) were sometimes difficult to hear across the room, past the artists. I think a few speakers on that side of the room would be greatly beneficial.

-Darren

As one that was in the gaming area for most of the Con, I totally agree with this. I could get bits of announcements but other then that it was mostly mumble. One reason why I thought Michelle's dragon was given to me. (Well when everyone turned to look at me didn't help either ::): )

6 hours ago, Reaperbryan said:

As for the other, I will definitely be talking about a "playing musical instruments" policy in our after-action "battle report". This concern has come up in many conversations.

I will admit, on the flip-side of this, in one of my rpgs, the mouseling bard (Pezler btw) player actually had a small guitar on him. It was nice when he brought it out when we had a stoppage in play for dinner aka the party was at rest or when the party had the bard relay the story so far to the baron that gave them the mission in the first place. Granted he didn't play it the entire game vs the Ocarina player's constant playing.

• Like 3

I used to get woken up at 7am by a harp player practicing at Pennsic.. except the intervening tents blocked about 2/3 of the notes so all we heard was the same plinking over and over.. I barely noticed the Ocarina player most of the time except when she played in the corridor between the class rooms

• Like 3