Highlander

One Take on the Classes

The new Lewisville Convention Center seems like a nice space... of course I don't know anything about costs, etc etc.  If anything, I know Reaper will listen to feedback and take it into consideration.  I thought moving the gaming tables to where they were this year was a good move.

• Like 4

I had one class in that corner room with 3 vendors around it.  I was next to the teacher and had to almost lip read to follow her at times. The guy at the far end of the room said he could not hear her at all due to ambient noise. 

I wonder if it would help to have a large sign posted at each end of the  classroom corridor, facing the vendor side, that said "Quiet please classes in progress".   

No, probably not. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Inarah said:

I had one class in that corner room with 3 vendors around it.  I was next to the teacher and had to almost lip read to follow her at times. The guy at the far end of the room said he could not hear her at all due to ambient noise. 

That sucks.  Did the teacher or the students do anything about it?  Complain to staff?  Leave the class since they couldn't hear anyway?  If I was in a class and couldn't hear, and nothing was done to fix the problem, I'd expect a refund.

• Like 2

I guess I was lucky, as all but my Sunday morning class were in the far back corner, and I heard everyone...

And Sunday people were quiet...

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Serenity said:

That sucks.  Did the teacher or the students do anything about it?  Complain to staff?  Leave the class since they couldn't hear anyway?  If I was in a class and couldn't hear, and nothing was done to fix the problem, I'd expect a refund.

I offered to go out and ask people to shut it,  but the teacher said it would not help as there would be another group along in a few minutes who'd make the same amount of noise.  And you can't exactly ask a vendor not to talk to his customers. 

The teacher walked around the room and repeated herself as necessary, and there was a terrific handout. She encouraged questions, so everyone had a chance to get the info they wanted, but it did take more effort for both her and the students. 

• Like 8

On 10/27/2017 at 11:26 AM, Inarah said:

I was next to the teacher and had to almost lip read to follow her at times. The guy at the far end of the room said he could not hear her at all due to ambient noise.

In addition to all of the excellent noise-reducing solutions that are being discussed here, perhaps there is an opportunity for PA (speaker and microphone) systems to be set up in each teaching room. For those seated far from the instructor, even a single wired or Bluetooth speaker across the room might help immeasurably.

-Darren

• Like 1

It would be awesome for some classes if there was a camera setup so the miniature being painted by the instructor could be enlarged and easily seen by all. It would be easier to follow step by step techniques.

17 minutes ago, Mnemonic said:

It would be awesome for some classes if there was a camera setup so the miniature being painted by the instructor could be enlarged and easily seen by all. It would be easier to follow step by step techniques.

I believe they've tried this before and if memory serves, it was pretty hit or miss on the tech actually working.

On 10/25/2017 at 7:25 PM, Mr Melons said:

I didn't mind that she was there, but it was a bit off putting and did give me that "shut that kid up" urges. Then I realized that I was Gannon.

Sorry. That was mine....

We had a talk about it....

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Ludo said:

Sorry. That was mine....

Not your fault.  Kids are gonna be kids, I have two nephews and a niece so I know that kids can be noisy which was why I didn't say anything.  However, repetitive sounds are my pet peeve and pushed mah buttons slightly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ludo said:

Sorry. That was mine....

It took me a while to figure out where the sound was coming from, but it didn't particularly bother me.

• Like 1

I'm sure there was an element of "These are my people, and they will get me! And I wanna show off this cool thing I've been practicing." 

I personally think the key key is in the number of repeats and the venue.

Also, the Gen Con that a dealer was selling them, and people naturally sat down and started trying to learn to play them right by the mini speed painting table was faaaaarrrrr worse. 

• Like 7

On 10/27/2017 at 9:26 AM, Inarah said:

...I wonder if it would help to have a large sign posted at each end of the  classroom corridor, facing the vendor side, that said "Quiet please classes in progress".   

No, probably not. 

It wouldn't hurt.  It would have to be large, though, as folks don't read stuff that isn't in their faces.

As far as helping, I suspect the courteous might already tone it down.  If they know that there are classes around.  Others have no volume monitor when they get involved in something that interests them or with someone they want to engage with.

• Like 2