Sign in to follow this  
Clearman

Taste the MSP Rainbow

Such awesomeness! 

I have been tempted to try this myself, but my current nail polish racks aren't really designed for this.

Out of curiosity, how far apart do paints in triads tend to be from others in the same triad? Next to each other? Multiple other colors?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Cyradis said:

Is the rack made of PVC pipes?

Pretty sure that he has a WIP or maybe a Show Off thread for it somewhere.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Talae said:

Such awesomeness! 

I have been tempted to try this myself, but my current nail polish racks aren't really designed for this.

Out of curiosity, how far apart do paints in triads tend to be from others in the same triad? Next to each other? Multiple other colors?

Distance between triad members varies because they're mixed in with MSP HD, Bones HD, Heavy Gear Blitz, and special edition paints.  This is actually the one downside to the arrangement - I really have no idea where any particular color is by name. May need to label them somehow. 

4 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

Is the rack made of PVC pipes?

The bottles themselves are setting inside PVC pipe that are mounted to XPS foam.  There is a WIP thread, but I'll need to track it down.  That thread also doesn't represent the pictured build as I needed to reconstruct after the original collapsed.  This version is quite a bit sturdier. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Clearman said:

Distance between triad members varies because they're mixed in with MSP HD, Bones HD, Heavy Gear Blitz, and special edition paints.  This is actually the one downside to the arrangement - I really have no idea where any particular color is by name. May need to label them somehow. 

The bottles themselves are setting inside PVC pipe that are mounted to XPS foam.  There is a WIP thread, but I'll need to track it down.  That thread also doesn't represent the pictured build as I needed to reconstruct after the original collapsed.  This version is quite a bit sturdier. 

Any chance you can comment on average distance, or maybe an example of one or two?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Talae said:

Any chance you can comment on average distance, or maybe an example of one or two?

I did a quick check on my way out the door this morning.  In some cases, like the flesh tones, they happened to get grouped pretty closed.  The Rosy skin triad turned out to be in an almost vertical line.  The Fair skin triad is all on very top row.

Distance for other triads varied based on the colors in the triad.  The first Red triad (9001-9003) are a bit more spread out because the Brick Red is visually darker than Blood Red (and there are a lot more reds overall).  The Teal triad (9076-9079) are closer because there are fewer similar colors, and the Off-White triad are all together as well. The NMM Copper triad is probably the biggest spread because the three colors are very different.

• Like 7

This is a nice demonstration of how browns and most bottled flesh tones are really oranges of varying saturation. I'd probably put that last row of violets over on the red end of the spectrum.

Also, the whites/greys would go better on top, since they are just high value, desaturated versions of other hues, not their own thing (except in the case of the neutral greys, pure white and black...and even those probably have some chromatic aberrations. 

• Like 10

8 minutes ago, CashWiley said:

This is a nice demonstration of how browns and most bottled flesh tones are really oranges of varying saturation. I'd probably put that last row of violets over on the red end of the spectrum.

Also, the whites/greys would go better on top, since they are just high value, desaturated versions of other hues, not their own thing (except in the case of the neutral greys, pure white and black...and even those probably have some chromatic aberrations. 

The pinker shades of those red-violets started out on the left.  I also started the purples at the far right so it had a wrap-around effect.

I like your thought on putting the whites/greys on the top row.  I may shuffle things around before I get back to painting.

• Like 8

About how much did it cost to build this thing? Seems like a fun project. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

About how much did it cost to build this thing? Seems like a fun project. 

$50, give or take.  The largest cost was the PVC, in at around $30.  The XPS pink foam runs about $13 a sheet, and glue (both Gorilla glue and standard hot glue) makes up the rest.

Edit:  This also assumes you have tools to cut the PVC, etc.

Edited by Clearman
  • Like 6

I need a rack I don't need to stand up in order to reach (no wall mounted), has a small footprint, and can hold 300-350 bottles.

• Like 4