Tristram

Auction Action for "Low Rollers"

I usually have a good idea of the approximate amount of RBs there are on the floor. This year I was only on site for Sunday and that it made it difficult to get a good feel for how many there were. It didn't help that there were some calculation errors or that some GMs gave out more than they should have for games. Still, the prices overall were significantly lower than they have been in the past for items. We only got above the 10,000 mark once in the entire auction. But most of the paint sets went in the 7,000 range, although they dropped down into the 5,000 range closer to the end of the show.

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, Heisler said:

I usually have a good idea of the approximate amount of RBs there are on the floor. This year I was only on site for Sunday and that it made it difficult to get a good feel for how many there were. It didn't help that there were some calculation errors or that some GMs gave out more than they should have for games. Still, the prices overall were significantly lower than they have been in the past for items. We only got above the 10,000 mark once in the entire auction. But most of the paint sets went in the 7,000 range, although they dropped down into the 5,000 range closer to the end of the show.

Yeah, I paid much more attention this year to what things were going for, as well as keeping track of how many bucks the main bidders had (by seeing when they dropped out of the bidding when someone came out with a bid over what they had).  Even after getting a bunch of extra bucks dropped on me I knew I had a modest amount and would need to wait until the high roller shot their wads.

Last year was my first experience with the auction (I had class during the auction my first RCon and wasn't able to attend it; worked out because I ended up being the only student and had a 1 on 1 with Aaron Lovejoy and that year they split the class paint sets amongst those in the last class so I got the whole thing to myself!) and I had no idea what the relative rates for things were.  It seems that this year, people went big right away and spend all or most of their bucks at once instead of waiting to end and facing the possibility of not using them all.  At least that is what it seemed to me. 

Thanks again to my table mates that offered to throw down their extra bucks if needed to help me win my airbrush.  I was able to do it with what I had with 50 bucks to spare.

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Pegazus said:

We had some with 2016 written on them. They were either handed to us at registration or ponied up into the pot. Noticed that while I was paying up.

I'll admit that I wasn't really paying attention to anything other than denomination when it came time for me to settle up on my bid. I didn't bring any old Reaper Bucks with me to the auction, but I could have inherited them from somebody else.

• Like 2

Could there be a prize section available all throughout the con where you can buy some cheaper stuff with the Reaperbucks?

Single Bones (there are extras from classes too), melt table credit, the $1 mis-labeled paint bottles, pencils & pens, notebooks, Chinese finger traps, snacks & candy, etc?

That way people who don't have very many Reaperbucks can still get something, people who aren't going to be there on Sunday can still get something, and it's a way to spend leftover Reaperbucks from the auction. It would help deflate the auction too, since if person A could just buy some stuff from the prize area for themselves, they wouldn't be giving those Reaperbucks to person B on auction day because person A can't afford the auction anyways. People who REALLY want the auction items can still get them, but people who don't have enough funds can still get some cool stuff :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, noodlemancer said:

People who REALLY want the auction items can still get them, but people who don't have enough funds can still get some cool stuff :)

Didn't we get enough cool stuff from them? The only thing about the auction and not enough RBs to do much for me is the 40 min drive I take on the last day to hang out for 2 hours. Other than that I enjoy watching the bid wars on some of the items and feel like I got plenty of stuff from Reaper in my VIP and Swag bags....plus any goodies given out in classes.

Edit:  Oh and once my daughter is a bit older and if she still goes with me at that time I think it will be more enjoyable because hopefully she has learned at that point we don't always win stuff.  I should have brought my poker chips and tried to get some mini tournaments going for RBs. 6-8 players in for 500 and winner takes all.  Something to do if you like playing Texas Holdem and a chance to get 3000+ more RBs. Could not do this on a Sat since the daughter is with me...even though she enjoys playing too but Thurs and Fridays would work great.

Edited by hungerfan
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, hungerfan said:

Didn't we get enough cool stuff from them? The only thing about the auction and not enough RBs to do much for me is the 40 min drive I take on the last day to hang out for 2 hours. Other than that I enjoy watching the bid wars on some of the items and feel like I got plenty of stuff from Reaper in my VIP and Swag bags....plus any goodies given out in classes.

Given the choice of getting more paints and getting nothing, wouldn't you pick MORE PAINTS?

Yes, we get a lot of cool swag with our passes, especially if we get VIP passes, but there's still the fact that we have all this currency that goes unused. And some people are expressing unhappiness from not being able to spend them at all. Yes, Reaper & generous vendors can choose not to do the auction. They can also choose to not give us any swag. I'm not complaining about that. This is awesome. The auction is awesome. No other con does this. But it could be improved with just some simple consolation prizes. It's just a suggestion.

On 10/25/2017 at 6:57 PM, Bold said:

I acquired a lot of Reaperbucks by taking classes. LOTS of classes.

This year I ended up with more Reaperbucks than I had anticipated, however. I believe there was a math error in how the website calculated the Reaperbucks earned through signing up for events, so many people ended up with more Reaperbucks than initially suggested by the event description. I was able to pick up a paint set on my own, whereas last year I pooled my Reaperbucks together with another attendee and we split our win.

Yea, this was a problem.  Some folks got their full amount of reaper bucks (the over inflated number in error) and others did not.  I'm sure it caused more of the "high roller" status going on this time than normal.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bold said:

The person at the registration desk looked at my itinerary and gave me a giant wad of ReaperBucks cash. He even rounded up! I pointed out that it was an error and I had received too much, but was told there was a calculation mistake and they were giving out the printed amount anyway. Or at least, that's what the person processing my registration did.

I'm not complaining.  :B):

Early on, registration was honoring printed itineraries, and handing out 2-3 times (maybe more) of what people were actually owed. (at least, when asked)

Later, it sounded like they started enforcing the proper amount, which may have led to some of the reaper buck imbalances we saw.

(I had around 1300 reaper bucks of my own on Sunday, plus another 1500-ish donated by a kind benefactor who couldn't stay.)

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, hungerfan said:

I should have brought my poker chips and tried to get some mini tournaments going for RBs. 6-8 players in for 500 and winner takes all.  Something to do if you like playing Texas Holdem and a chance to get 3000+ more RBs. Could not do this on a Sat since the daughter is with me...even though she enjoys playing too but Thurs and Fridays would work great.

Just a note: there may be rules about gambling on the premises.

--OneBoot

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

Just a note: there may be rules about gambling on the premises.

--OneBoot

BUT it is not gambling if no money is involved.  :)  Doubt it would happen...just something I tossed out there a couple years ago when I realized I needed more RBs to do much at the auction.

• Like 1

Completely unofficial and entirely unaffiliated poker is a great idea! I just hope at the next con we can find some monopoly type money that we can play with for fun.

Edited by Mnemonic

8 hours ago, hungerfan said:

BUT it is not gambling if no money is involved.  :)  Doubt it would happen...just something I tossed out there a couple years ago when I realized I needed more RBs to do much at the auction.

you could play at the hotel....

whatever it might be next year....

• Like 2

On 10/26/2017 at 7:28 PM, Inarah said:

The two of us had 2 vip badges, 6 classes, 2 costumes and 2 t-shirts, and with a few hundred thrown in by a friend who left early we had 970 RB. 

The mis calculation on my itinerary said 4300, between my husband and I when we signed in at the registration desk we had about 1300. 

So 970 sounds very low. 

On 10/27/2017 at 11:44 PM, Mnemonic said:

Completely unofficial and entirely unaffiliated poker is a great idea! I just hope at the next con we can find some monopoly type money that we can play with for fun.

Note Hungerfan is a quasi professional poker player. :poke:

• Like 9

I knew we would leave before the auction to get to the airport.

We had VIP bag times 2 of reaperbux. I gave them to a friend so she could hopefully win something as she was there all Sunday.

I was really happy to see she won a paint set as she does painting commissions full time while in between jobs. 

I thinn there are a fair amount of attendees who know they are getting a flight out and give any buzz to friends to help them out. 

• Like 4