jsalyers

CavCon thoughts (xPost from Facebook)

Some thoughts on The CavCon tournament.

The Good:

The tournament was well organized. The terrain looked great. Jon and Tim were available to answer questions and explain the reasons behind various decisions at any time.

I've never had more one on one time to interact with a game developer ever. Jon went out of his way to walk me though several parts of the game that I didn't understand and he was open to feedback to improve the game for me (and hopefully others).

The veteran players Todd Farnholtz, Ross Hines, and Brandon Baker were friendly, open, and available to explain both the rules and their thoughts about the 'meta'.

Todd and Ross are also fabulous painters with lots of experience in the niche of painting giant robots to look like giant robots. They shared tips and feedback with me which I appreciate a lot,

The Bad:

The tournament terrain looked awesome but it's nature and layout limited the kinds of forces that were viable in the tournament.

The tallest piece of cover on the boards I saw was a level 3 hill. That is it in the background of the photo where my figures 
- in red and grey - are learning the meaning of the phrase 'shock check'. 1f642.png:)

The deployment zone of my opponent (Ross Hines) had an elevation 2 hill just outside of it. All Ross had to do was walk forward for one activation and then his CAVs - in blue and black - were at elevation 4 which lets him see over the highest elevation terrain on the board. On his first turn he could fire Guided Missiles 6" deployment + 7" Move + 64" Extreme range = 77". The playing area is only 72" long.

[Edited to correct the Silverback's movement from 5" to 7"]

I literally had no where to hide from his fire.

Additionally, being at elevation 4 allowed him to see over the intervening 'woods' which are only elevation 3. I could only gain the benefit of cover by hugging against it within one inch. The trees did serve to slow down my forward progress as I had to either go around them or spend extra movement to go through them.

I've only played about a dozen games of CAV so I may be missing an aspect of the terrain rules or some strategy that mitigates the lack of LOS blocking terrain.

The Excellent:

The people. The models. The game.

No better example of good people than Jeff my second round opponent. He is a veteran CAV player who helped me through the rules I was unfamiliar with and shared numerous stories about the history of the game.

The new Firedrake model is beautiful. I love it's angular lines and the compactness of it's rocket launchers - I bought 6 of them. 1f642.png:)

The game plays fast once you get several games under your belt. The rules flow logically and I found by the end of the tournament I rarely had to ask how something worked.

Perhaps the last and best compliment that I can give is that I'm already planning my next force. I have the paint scheme in mind and plan to experiment with heavily weathered CAVs.

I hope to meet and play CAV with all of you at the tournament next year.

22555175_10158128552618504_8063869018426008483_n.jpg

22549887_10158128552563504_2149886325055234692_n.jpg

Edited by jsalyers
  • Like 5

I did not play any CAV, but you have talked me in to considering it for next year.   Maybe even get Christie to play a round.   As I'm digging through my models from the first kickstarter, is there a viable army in here without adding more?   Also are you happy with your army?  If I just coppied you, is there anything you are finding underwhelming, or wish you had some of?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, emmagine said:

I did not play any CAV, but you have talked me in to considering it for next year.   Maybe even get Christie to play a round.   As I'm digging through my models from the first kickstarter, is there a viable army in here without adding more?   Also are you happy with your army?  If I just coppied you, is there anything you are finding underwhelming, or wish you had some of?

You can't copy my army very easily as it is made of all OOP metal minis from a faction that has only 1 figure in Bones material.

You could copy a lot of the army Ross Hines ran (the Blue and Black army in the image above). He's on the forums from time to time as @Savage Coyote., I think he has a couple of OOP models. You'd rather copy his anyway as it preformed MUCH better than mine.

I think there is a viable list in the KS1 collection. Look for models with Heavy Guided missiles, ECM, EST, and some long range hard hitting direct fire weapons.

The tournament this year was played with a 'somewhat vanilla' subset of the rules. Next year may allow some player selected upgrades but we don't know the details yet.

Don't let the phrase 'somewhat vanilla' bother you. It was by far the superior choice over allowing the full set of options/upgrades the full game allows. The full game has a rich set options to build dynamic forces out of but would have been too much in the first tournament - imo.

I am a newish player but am happy to help with list ideas if you like?

I encourage you to follow the CAV support group on Facebook. The community there is fairly active.

J--

Edited by jsalyers
  • Like 1

This was my first con, and one of the things I really wanted to do was play CAV.  Which I got to do. I wanted to take part in the tournament, but one of the other things I wanted to do was play a RPG, namely Starfinder, and the session I signed up for was during the CAV tournament.  

Next time I'll make sure I have free time for the CAV tournament.  

I'm sure this was listed somewhere, but what was the points for the tournament?  Would like to make sure I have a legal list ready for next time. :)

• Like 1

The tournament was 5000 points. Which I think will continue or possibly go up. We don't have any hard figures yet and not enough tournaments to predict from.

The list construction rules allowed for only running CAVs as printed. No player chosen upgrades, no infantry, flyers, or tanks. They kept it simple which was absolutely the right thing to do. That said there was talk of opening the force construction rules up a bit for next year... but again nothing certain yet.

I too was tempted by the Starfinder game but I passed my WILL check and played in the tourney. :)  I look forward to playing you next year at CavCon.

J--

• Like 2

On 10/27/2017 at 9:31 AM, jsalyers said:

The tournament was 5000 points. Which I think will continue or possibly go up. We don't have any hard figures yet and not enough tournaments to predict from.

Thanks :)  Trying to figure out what my budget is for CAV both in terms of points and $.  Wouldn't want to show up with only 2,000 points when the tourney is set to 5,000 or something.

I too was tempted by the Starfinder game but I passed my WILL check and played in the tourney. :)

It's a great RPG, and going to cost me a few bucks to get everything I want... thankfully the PDF's are only $10, so that helps.

I look forward to playing you next year at CavCon.

Looking forward to it. :)

On 10/26/2017 at 3:30 PM, emmagine said:

Oh yes, if you have even the basics of Kickstarter One you can field several different factions or mix everything up and go mercenary!  Terran and Rach dominated KS1 (US Marines in space! and Orcs/barbarians respectively) and both have distinctive styles of play and color choices.  The other factions are under represented in the first KS so it's a lot harder to field a force for them (Ritterlich, Adon, Templars, and Malvernis.)

Rach are blunt hammers as far as play style go.  average to slow speed with good armor levels for most units, they take a beating and dish it out all while being relatively cheap compared to other factions.   Todd's Rach force won out for this tournament with three Reapers, three Imperators, and two Kahns.

Terrans are masters of combined arms, aircraft, and artillery (at least in theory for all of these.)  their units tend to be balanced between speed, armor, and firepower.  They won't stand toe to toe repeatedly to Rach, but team work and maneuver should keep them in the fight (or lots of missiles because the Raijin CAV is scary!)  A terran list I'm toying with has four Naginatia tanks, one Ashiguru tank, two Raijins, two Raptors, and a Talon.  Might get slaughtered or it might bring the shade with all of the missiles.  Who knows!  Star hawk VI's are great though!

jsalyers force would be over powered in a city, but was underpowered in this tournament because of the terrain.  My force would have been neutered in a city, but excelled in this tournament.  I will never say there's an "ultimate" force as every force has it's pluses and minuses!

• Like 2