mwhowell2001

Paint suggestions

Started painting a model for a game with blood red paint.  But the black base coat is visible and it's taking multiple coats to get a solid red color.  Suggestions on a similar color to try over the black base coat that might only need one layer?

• Like 1

Often you'll need to do another coat over black to get any coverage with red or yellow.  Suggested colors are orange or pink, depending on the final hue you're after.  Maybe even a deep brown if you're just going for a deep, dark muddy red--even then you may need to highlight orange/pink and then highlight with the red you want.

• Like 2

If you can get ahold of artists paints, Red Iron Oxide (also called Red Oxide, Red Ochre, Iron Oxide Red or Mars Red) is about as opaque as you can get, with good coverage.  It is a decent red, though not the most intense.  It can be brightened up afterwards with a layer of something redder and more transparent, as most hobby reds seem to be these days.

• Like 3

Alternatively, use Cadmium Red, which is quite a rich red and quite opaque. Depending on where you look, information might indicate that it's significantly toxic, though.

• Like 1

I really like Reaper's Cinnamon Red– good coverage, smooth application/blending & matte finish. I use it as a basecoat for rich fabrics and gems where I can enhance it with darker red shadows to get a nice "blood red" color. Hope that helps!

• Like 2