She is beautiful so far. What you did with the chainmail sounds tedious, but pays off. You have me afraid of painting her eyes. Haha

Some crevices  of the purple cloth in the back could use another shade or two to darken the shadows.

• Like 2

Excellent work.  I know the feeling about remembering it's just paint, I can fix it later.  It does help me relax more when painting. 

C&C: From the photos it looks like you lose the middle in the deepest folds in the dress, more in the greens now that I look closer.  The blending looks good, just rather abrupt if that makes sense? 

• Like 2

She looks very good already.

I think you're a better painter than I am, so I'm not too sure what, if anything, I you could do better with.

I do plan on stealing a page from your book, and trying to get over the 'what if I elf it up' thing, though.

• Like 3

Thanks, guys, I appreciate it! ^_^

2 hours ago, pcktlnt said:

Some crevices  of the purple cloth in the back could use another shade or two to darken the shadows.

I agree, there’s a little bit of shine going on that’s making things look a little bit brighter than they are, but I totally agree that the shading isn’t as dark in there. I don’t think I used the red liner at all in between the folds of the dress, actually. 

23 minutes ago, Silvervane said:

C&C: From the photos it looks like you lose the middle in the deepest folds in the dress, more in the greens now that I look closer.  The blending looks good, just rather abrupt if that makes sense? 

Totally makes sense and I agree. I admit, I’m more than a little thrown off by the accordion style folds in the dress. I usually look straight down at a model to decide shadow placement, but that method doesn’t really work well for the dress on this sculpt. I’m wondering if I’m actually going too dark in the folds all around. 

Since there’s no painted example of this figure in the store, I’ve been trying to find a comparable example with similar accordion style folds, but I’ve been coming up empty in my searches. The closest I’ve found has tiers, which changes things entirely. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

I think you're a better painter than I am, so I'm not too sure what, if anything, I you could do better with.

So that’s kind of a fallacy that we tell ourselves - I can’t paint the same as you, so I’m not qualified to give criticism. Not true. You can see just as well as anyone else when there’s something not right. You might not know how to fix it and that’s fine - there’s nothing wrong with saying “Hey, that spot there looks off” or “Your blending isn’t as smooth in that area” without also offering your own personal tutorial on how to make it better. 

I’m not asking for your portfolio to decide whether or not you’re worthy of giving me criticism. People that act like the only people who are qualified to give them criticism are people who are better painters than them are jerks, end of story. 

Giving criticism to someone, especially a friend, can be very difficult because you worry about feelings getting involved. And that’s why it’s totally understandable that not everyone wants to give criticism and not everyone wants to accept it. But let me tell you, for me personally, I didn’t give birth to this thing, I just slapped some paint on it. You can’t hurt my feelings. That being said, if you’re not comfortable giving criticism, there’s nothing wrong with that. It’s not a requirement. But don’t you ever feel like you’re not worthy of giving criticism, that’s unacceptable and I will haunt you until you believe that you are. ::P:

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I have to admit, I totally thought the Chainmail was metallic.  So bonus points for that!  I do agree with the comment on the blending on the back of the green robes being a bit abrupt.  Not sure how to fix that based upon the depth of the folds.

I really like the way that she is turning out so far though.  Keep it up.

• Like 3

I 100% applaud and encourage less stress about painting.  Hobbies are supposed to be fun, and there's always a way to start over if things go sideways.  Normally I therefore promote a "less critical" attitude, but I know you're looking for criticism so I'm going to offer it.  ::D:

1)  Your color choices seem good.  I would not recommend adding another color of cloth at this point, I think it would feel too random.  

2)  The blends could use more smoothing, especially the rectangular green bit at the front.  

3)  Soon you will need to level up your photography to get useful feedback.  If your colors don't look right in pictures then it's going to be hard for people to give you advice related to how the colors interact.  This will of course depend on what areas you want feedback on, but I thought I should mention it.  

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I have to admit, I totally thought the Chainmail was metallic.  So bonus points for that!  I do agree with the comment on the blending on the back of the green robes being a bit abrupt.  Not sure how to fix that based upon the depth of the folds.

I really like the way that she is turning out so far though.  Keep it up.

Thank you! I actually forgot for a minute that I hadn’t used metallic paint for the chainmail....we’ll see how well the rest of the NMM goes though....

1 hour ago, LittleBluberry said:

I 100% applaud and encourage less stress about painting.  Hobbies are supposed to be fun, and there's always a way to start over if things go sideways.  Normally I therefore promote a "less critical" attitude, but I know you're looking for criticism so I'm going to offer it.  ::D:

1)  Your color choices seem good.  I would not recommend adding another color of cloth at this point, I think it would feel too random.  

2)  The blends could use more smoothing, especially the rectangular green bit at the front.  

3)  Soon you will need to level up your photography to get useful feedback.  If your colors don't look right in pictures then it's going to be hard for people to give you advice related to how the colors interact.  This will of course depend on what areas you want feedback on, but I thought I should mention it.  

I must be weird because criticism doesn’t stress me out, it invigorates me. 

1. I wasn’t planning on adding another cloth colour. If you’re talking about the blue, that’s just the base for the silver NMM. But between her hair, the leather parts that need to happen, the broom and the lantern, yeah, totally agree that there’s enough colours going on that it could become confused quickly. 

2. Yeah, that triangle was leaping out at me a ton, thank you. I’ve been completely reworking the green and got a great suggestion from someone who’s painted accordion folds like this, so I think it’s looking much better. I’ll put up some more pics when I get it to a more “finished” state...which unfortunately I don’t think will happen before I have to leave for a bit to take care of something. 

3. Oof. Thank you for that. I do tend to approach my pictures from a viewpoint of “I’m not a photographer, lol” but, you’re right, that doesn’t work from the standpoint of wanting criticism. I really can’t properly describe how abysmal my lighting situation is in my apartment, but the main problem is laziness because with a bit more effort, I am capable of taking better pictures. So I’ll definitely work on that, thank you. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Guindyloo said:

Thank you! I actually forgot for a minute that I hadn’t used metallic paint for the chainmail....we’ll see how well the rest of the NMM goes though....

I must be weird because criticism doesn’t stress me out, it invigorates me. 

1. I wasn’t planning on adding another cloth colour. If you’re talking about the blue, that’s just the base for the silver NMM. But between her hair, the leather parts that need to happen, the broom and the lantern, yeah, totally agree that there’s enough colours going on that it could become confused quickly. 

2. Yeah, that triangle was leaping out at me a ton, thank you. I’ve been completely reworking the green and got a great suggestion from someone who’s painted accordion folds like this, so I think it’s looking much better. I’ll put up some more pics when I get it to a more “finished” state...which unfortunately I don’t think will happen before I have to leave for a bit to take care of something. 

3. Oof. Thank you for that. I do tend to approach my pictures from a viewpoint of “I’m not a photographer, lol” but, you’re right, that doesn’t work from the standpoint of wanting criticism. I really can’t properly describe how abysmal my lighting situation is in my apartment, but the main problem is laziness because with a bit more effort, I am capable of taking better pictures. So I’ll definitely work on that, thank you. 

Good to know that the blue is the base for a metal area, I think that will work better.  And yeah, those regular folds bug me not just from a shading point of view but from a design point of view.  How do you get the cloth to behave like that???  

As for the pictures, I get that it's a pain to set up a decent photo area, especially for WIP pics.  I just wanted you to have it in the back of your mind for later, because I know you want good feedback and as you improve the photos become the limiting factor.  Your photos at least have good focus, so we can see the details and any rough blends or whatever.  

Like I said, I'm mostly just glad to hear you're excited about painting!  ^_^ 

• Like 2

I am regretting not picking this one up. Looking great so far!

• Like 1

Ok, reworked the green. I tried to take better pics, not sure how well that worked out though. It’s definitely something I need to work on more. 

What do y’all think? (About the pics and the green ^_^)

760DEDB6-B00F-4904-AA14-1F1D8B783141.thumb.jpeg.05106f0930ec754ba62c9e63755ba811.jpeg

09238095-FC32-4F6D-8979-6663D89F5367.thumb.jpeg.b373d3bb9dad37c49f43080df3867972.jpeg

• Like 16

Beautiful as always!  The pictures look fine to me!

I think I am too into your painting because I can never find anything that I think you need to improve. 

• Like 1