Sign in to follow this  
kresso

Wet look ok bones

i am trying to get a wet look on my bones minis but I have heard you shouldn't put a sealer on them. I am wondering how I get an eye (a large one) or say a spider body to get that "wet" look. I read you can use gloss sealer but I have some bones I want try. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

You can use acrylic sealer on Bones.  For something like an eye or a puddle of water or anything small, get some gloss in a little bottle and apply with a brush. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, kresso said:

i am trying to get a wet look on my bones minis but I have heard you shouldn't put a sealer on them.

Aerosol sealers are generally not a good idea on Bones. Brush-on sealer (or acrylic gloss medium) works fine.

Which is mostly to agree with @Inarah, but I thought the clarification of the problem might be useful.

• Like 3

I use Reaper Brush on sealer without problems.

I have also used spray Anti Shine from Army Painter, on a painted Bones I have had no troubles.

• Like 1

It may be your BRAND of spray sealer, because I have been using Krylon Crystal Clear on painted Bones since they came out, with no issues.  We game with ours, so they get handled, too. 

• Like 1

That could be it. I have a friend that sprayed his and when we play with them they are still tacky even 2 years on, and I don't want to risk it.

For a great wet look on bones use gloss Mod Podge. It is a brush on and you can add paint or ink to change its color. It brushes on like white glue and dries clear. 

Bones figure I used it on. 

0E90EAF3-FD3B-4062-9268-342E95C55C8E.jpeg

I used food color to test coloring it. 

6A888BEE-FA26-4C0E-B7E4-CF89D8E3AA86.jpeg

After it dried. 

79BA5292-07B3-433A-BE47-BAFFD5277291.jpeg

Edited by Jeepnewbie
Adjusted pics
  • Like 2

Reaper also makes a Gloss brush-on sealer which is nice and shiny (and very durable; I've had it resist being scraped with an exacto knife!). It's my go-to for making eyes look more alive by adding that "slightly wet" shine to them. :) 

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 2

Future floor wax should work too I would think. Very thin and self levels when brushed on. Also very tintable. Aircraft guys usually dip their clear parts in it as it fills all the microscratches and makes them more clear and shiny.

On 11/7/2017 at 4:35 AM, Hyjynx said:

Future floor wax should work too I would think. Very thin and self levels when brushed on. Also very tintable. Aircraft guys usually dip their clear parts in it as it fills all the microscratches and makes them more clear and shiny.

I strongly discourage the use of household products which are not intended for hobby use in hobby uses. Specifically, while many people have positive experiences with floor polish, I encourage people to remember that floor polish is a floor polish, a  miniature gloss sealer is a miniature gloss sealer, and whether one *can* be used as the other, we should question if we should.

On 11/7/2017 at 2:35 AM, Hyjynx said:

No.  Don't do this on Bones.  Bones flex.  Future does not.  It's not a matter of *if* it will crack and flake off so much as *when*.  Been there, done that, nobody sprang for a lousy t-shirt.

I've used Delta's brush-on gloss acrylic sealer on Bones to good effect.  It's probably chemically similar to the Mod-Podge, and definitely flexible when dry.  Brushing on the gloss coat allows you to control where it goes - eyes, metallics, etc. - while leaving other stuff matte if you want to.  This is helpful if you're like me and don't have enough talent to paint highlights:

Spoiler

16614077205_b6b547b98b_b.jpg

• Like 1

Good point on the flexing of Bones not being compatible with Future, I can see where that might turn into a cracked up mess. I sincerely apologize if someone tried that before you pointed that out.

Edited by Hyjynx

On 11/8/2017 at 1:40 PM, kitchen_wolf said:

No.  Don't do this on Bones.  Bones flex.  Future does not.  It's not a matter of *if* it will crack and flake off so much as *when*.  Been there, done that, nobody sprang for a lousy t-shirt.

I've used Delta's brush-on gloss acrylic sealer on Bones to good effect.  It's probably chemically similar to the Mod-Podge, and definitely flexible when dry.  Brushing on the gloss coat allows you to control where it goes - eyes, metallics, etc. - while leaving other stuff matte if you want to.  This is helpful if you're like me and don't have enough talent to paint highlights:

Mod Podge is mostly PVA. Future is (or at least has been) mostly acrylic gloss medium. They're not especially similar (and the Future is almost certainly more similar to your paint than the Mod Podge.)