Sanael

Lunch Sessions III: Borka Kegslayer (PrivPress) and PLAID

Well, I'm not actually painting anything at work today...because I'm not going to work today. Suffice to say, we tried a new Chinese restaurant the other day, and it has not gone well.

BUT! I posted a teaser in my last Lunch Sessions thread, and now I can go ahead and start this one. Prep work is done, so when I do get back into the office I can actually start laying paint. Here's what's going on this time around:

Privateer Press has just started their Minicrate program, a subscription-based monthly "crate" of, well, miniatures. They are all special edition minis available only through the crate subscription. When I saw the first mini they planned to release, I almost got a subscription before realizing I probably wouldn't care overmuch about most of the minis involved past the first...we'll see if I regret that decision later, but the good news is: @chaosscorpion did subscribe, and was willing to work out a trade for the Swamp Siren in exchange for a warlock for his fledgling Trollbloods army.

(if you care to see the mini in question, @Ghool just posted a really lovely painted version)

Chaosscorpion was good enough to send the Swamp Siren over already, so I have her waiting for the day I paint her up...I have plans to do a resin-water base for her eventually.

IMAG0775.thumb.jpg.08129e15ba2a193d79aaf7e74b2b2e3e.jpg

And I have procured and prepped Borka Kegslayer:

IMAG0776.thumb.jpg.c15683dca3ac0d09b7ebd17f45d46ad6.jpgIMAG0777.thumb.jpg.28b9a6e454d3dc3de612c9d608af2d4b.jpg

I do have one specific instruction for this fella: Tartan! Chaosscorpion also provided a specific family tartan for me to replicate:

imagejpeg_0_3.thumb.jpg.298859bc7101d8fe20ebaf490ba60b9e.jpg

Now, I've done a good bit of freehand, and a fair number of stripes, but never any actual plaid. So I decided I'd get some practice in first, which is where this preview pic comes in:

IMAG0750.thumb.jpg.8ad4396adfe05a072d988d8fe24c169f.jpg

This is the backside of one of the new Wizkids Pathfinder unpainted line, from the "Merchants" set. By way of a quick review, these are cheap and nicely detailed. They are pre-prepped and pre-primed, and I was impressed with both the lack of mold lines (still a few, but nothing egregious. For NPCs or townsfolk I'm not too worried) and the complete coverage of the primer. I was surprised to find the primer was every bit as hydrophobic as bare Bonesium, but eventually I got a basecoat down.

I'm planning to paint her dress in plaid, using the Aitken tartan:

5ab1191167db861b4541a64a97d12a34--tartan-pattern-tartan-kilt.jpg.bff6ee6deab040f7349cf72e676b1595.jpg

I chose this tartan because it has roughly the same pattern as Chaosscorpion's, although in different colors. It's likely I'm overthinking the process, but I want to be as accurate as I can when I get to the plaid on Borka.

So that's where I am at this point. I likely won't do any further painting until Wednesday (there's an office Halloween thing tomorrow), but I've got a bit of a start!

• Like 14

I saw the tease and thought you had already taken a run at Plaid.  I as prep for this fig I am honored even further.  The Plaid on The WizKids Pathfinder is off to a fine start.

5 hours ago, Pochi said:

Looking good so far! Looks like a fun project. Not that it looks like you need it but I found a great tutorial for painting plaid if you are interested.

http://figurementors.com/a-step-by-step-for-painting-tartan-patterns

Looking forward to watching your work!

Thanks, Pochi! That is a great link. I have bookmarked it and will definitely put it to use. Given that it's David Powell, I'm not surprised that it's more thorough than a lot of the tutorials I've seen.

Chaosscorpion, I'm looking forward to making this plaid happen (not to mention the blue skin, that'll be fun)!

• Like 3

Snatches Raph. "Time for a "I <3 Mikey" sharpie tattoo, Raph". Scrawls out a ransom note. Raph gets it if there isn't an update by midnight. Muuwaahaahaa! No golden lasso to stop me this time.

Sorry folks, no painting yesterday due to a variety of things. Tuesday I also didn't go to work because I was still a bit under the weather (missed the office Halloween festivities, too...boo)...

TODAY, on the other hand, I was able to finish the red striping on the Wizkids barwench:

IMAG0782.thumb.jpg.f9513d6f93eca6d6490b96ece001300a.jpgIMAG0781.thumb.jpg.9a0ec601c970f53cbfd6c495e1b09c93.jpg

And put a basecoat down for the skin of the trolls:

IMAG0779.thumb.jpg.ff135f4b6a091966460d58eefb11a61c.jpg

The red lines on the lady's dress are real messy right now, but I think they're placed pretty well. Next step on her is to clean up the red lines with the base Corporeal Shadow; at the same time, I'll fill in some of the places where the CorShadow still didn't cover. I mentioned the Wizkids preprimer was pretty hydrophobic? I kept finding places where the basecoat just didn't cover at all, it's very annoying.

For Borka and his keg-carrier, I'll go in with some darklining to define some of his clothes, probably also black in his mouth and eyes at the same time. So that's tomorrow.

1 minute ago, chaosscorpion said:

Snatches Raph. "Time for a "I <3 Mikey" sharpie tattoo, Raph". Scrawls out a ransom note. Raph gets it if there isn't an update by midnight. Muuwaahaahaa! No golden lasso to stop me this time.

While I was typing a post, even? Goodness...that's cold, man.

At least make it an "I <3 Alopex" tat.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Raph is returned unharmed.  Although his pride is bruised!::):

Oh and good stuff by the way! Loving! I say Loving the plaid! Borka and his keg carrier are off to a nice start, too!

Here I am looking to be all apologetic about missing Friday's update and...

Oh Raph, Raphaellll? I know your hiding. You know that tatt, Sanael saved you from last time?... Well I guess it's time. Muwahaha. Where you hidin'  you teenage mutant?

So, only about 15 minutes painting on Friday...but I got some darklining done on Borka:

IMAG0783.thumb.jpg.1962a12a1c01ee29b2cba908248a5836.jpg

Not much of an update, I know.

I also have some questions for Chaosscorpion that I'll post in a few minutes...

• Like 6

Questions for Chaosscorpion:

OK, so Borka's big fur collar...some options.

1. Hunter of the cold white north (polar bear: black undercoat, yellow-white tips):

Image result for polar bear fur

2, Hunter of the cold not-so-white north (grizzly bear; dark brown-to-black undercoat, lighter brown tips):

Image result for grizzly bear fur

(this would be similar to bison, if you'd rather think of that than a bear. But really, given the option of wearing a bear or a ruminant, the bear is more badelf)

3, Hunter of exotic climes, and a snappy dresser (snow leopard):

Snow Leopard (Uncia uncia) fur detail, Kyrghyzstan, Asia

4. More trapper than hunter, but really just straight-up royalty (ermine):

Image result for ermine fur

All of these I'd likely go with a darker leather for the jack/vest under the collar, although the grizzly could also go well with a more buckskin-colored garment. There are also about a thousand different "wolf" options for the fur, ranging from grey to red to tan-and-black, and I'd adjust the color of the jack accordingly.

Also, my warlocks for my Legion of Everblight army all have the LoE faction symbol somewhere on them. Would you like something like this (using the Trollbloods logo, natch) on Borka? My suggestions for placement are either on the back of the jack (almost as though it were an M.C. "cut") or as a tattoo on his bicep. I can do either; I feel like the "cut" option would detract from the plaid on his back, but be more visible...and the tattoo option wouldn't reduce the effectiveness of any other part of the model, but would be a little less noticed.

Trollbloods Faction Logo Pin

• Like 3

Polar bear works for me sir.  Snow leopard is interesting and I think I saw a least one image of Borka with snow leopard.  Polar bear.  The faction logo is an interesting thought and I had not considered it for inclusion in the minis. 

How about as either a brand/stamp on the keg end, or as an embossed/debossed or stitched emblem in the leather?

leather-embossing-embossing-stamp.jpg

Edited by chaosscorpion
  • Like 2

I really like the keg-stamp idea, that will be fun to do. And I can definitely do a deboss on the back of the jack. That will work well. 

Polar bear was also my favorite, so that works out well!

• Like 1