Dalth

CAV color schemes

So I have 4 Rach and 4 Terran models assembled and ready to be painted.

But I'm wondering about color schemes.  I see in the CAV:SO book that a lot of Rach are red with white stripes/accent so I think I may do that.  But I'm not sure what to do with the terran's... is OD green/camo the most common or are there other color schemes that are used in the current lore?

I mean I could paint them pretty much whatever I want...  But I like to have them match the lore, but I'm also not sure I want to do camo  (just got done painting a 101st Airborne list for Bolt Action), so if there's some other common scheme I'd do that, but if not then OD Green/camo it is.

• Like 1

So the cannon response is all units have all the color schemes. The science behind it is all CAVs have a nano coating that can be changed at will so they can have camo that matches the environment or parade colors. It's not good enough to be considered cloaking but it does make them harder to see. 

I realise that leaves you right where you started, so the "Default" color schemes tend to be based on the paints available from Reaper. So Rach is typically painted with 09295: MSP Core Colors: Rach Red. Terrans have 09122: Terran Khaki. But again to each their own. 

• Like 2

On the upside, this means that you can pick whatever colors you want for your unit, and it's good. Terran forces that derive their colors from a real-world unit would be especially appropriate to me.

And if you ever get the urge to paint one in a different scheme, call it the personal colors of an ace pilot. Ritter von Richtofen, anyone? :)

• Like 2

In game terms a military unit in CAV has a parade color scheme (which you can make whatever you like) and if you are going to paint up a "canon" unit, we are working on putting those up ASAP at www.cavjournal.com once I can finish coding it.

Rach prefer reds, purples, oranges and other bright colors as they like to stand out and show they are here to fight.

Terran like pretty much what you see today in earth militaries, OD green, browns, blues.

Malverns tend towards purples, blues, silver, gold.

Adons lean towards yellows, browns, and greens.

Ritter are grays, tans, greens (typical ww2 german colors) and blues.

Templar like blues, grays, silvers, white.

Almiths use a lot of schemes and colors typical with the Russian military from ww2 on.

While in the field, as Ludo mentioned they will adjust their outer "skin" to mimic the surrounding area to aid in blending in.

• Like 4

I started a Emperor last night with red and white.  I like how it looks so far, with little more than a partial base coat of red, and some areas in gray which I will bring up to white.  I think it will look very sharp when I'm done.  

For Terran... I'll have to see what I want to do.  Part of me wants to do it in blues and grays in honor of my old unit, the 29th ID.  Which is called the blue and gray because a big part of it is the Virginia national guard, so it's a reference to both the northern and southern forces from the Civil War.  The 29th also part of the first wave at Normandy.

I guess the question is... If I were to bring a Terran force painted like that to some sort of CAV tournament, would people look at me with a WTF? type look?

Edited by Dalth
Fixed a bad typo...
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Dalth said:

I started a Emperor last night with red and white.  I like how it looks so far, with little more than a partial base coat of red, and some areas in gray which I will bring up to white.  I think it will look very sharp when I'm done.  

For Terran... I'll have to see what I want to do.  Part of me wants to do it in blues and grays in honor of my old unit, the 29th ID.  Which is called the blue and gray because a big part of it is the Vagina national guard, so it's a reference to both the northern and southern forces from the Civil War.  The 29th also part of the first wave at Normandy.

I guess the question is... If I were to bring a Terran force painted like that to some sort of CAV tournament, would people look at me with a WTF? type look?

Start a WIP thread here in the CAV forums so we can follow your painting progress...?

Also, what was the name of your unit again...? ;-]

J--

20 minutes ago, jsalyers said:

Start a WIP thread here in the CAV forums so we can follow your painting progress...?

Was going to do that tonight for my Rach Emperor.

20 minutes ago, jsalyers said:

Also, what was the name of your unit again...? ;-]

Don't have one yet.  The idea of the blue/gray just occurred to me this morning.  But I was planing on painting the Rach stuff first since I knew what I wanted to do with it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Savage Coyote said:

Dalth, I think you missed where your unit's name isn't Virginia?  I mean, your post says your units name is Vagina National Guard :)

I keep following you from thread to thread it seems. 

Anyway, a WIP would be fun, but might as well start it in the WIP section and link the post here. Saves the mods from the inevitable move.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Savage Coyote said:

Dalth, I think you missed where your unit's name isn't Virginia?  I mean, your post says your units name is Vagina National Guard :)

Sorry :)

The US Army unit name is the 29th Infantry Division.  Part of that division is the Virginia National Guard... I guess the spell checker got the best of me. :)  Thanks for catching that.  It didn't look right to me, but apparently I didn't have enough coffee yet.  :unsure:

57 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

Anyway, a WIP would be fun, but might as well start it in the WIP section and link the post here. Saves the mods from the inevitable move.

That was my plan.  I will be needing some advice on some of the parts of the model anyway, like how to do a decent cockpit and some highlighting.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Savage Coyote said:

"Call the locksmith!"

To answer your question though...no, that scheme would not get WTF responses. More likely, oooohs and aaaahs. :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Weird-O said:

To answer your question though...no, that scheme would not get WTF responses. More likely, oooohs and aaaahs. :)

Thanks to everyone for the advice and suggestions.

I think once I finish the Emperor I'll start on one of the Terran models and post the WIP so I can get feedback on the color scheme.  If that goes well then at least I'll know for sure what to paint the others as. :)

• Like 2

On 10/31/2017 at 10:52 AM, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I've got to figure out how to paint CAVs.  I paint mostly fantasy figs.

1. Clean the model

2. Prime the model

3. Select paint colors

4. Apply paint with brushes (air or hair)

5. Clear coat the model

• Like 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By jsalyers
      Re-purposing this post to give SS updates.

Name
      Has PM'd Info
      Wip Photo Posted  (Due 12/1/2017)
      Model Delivered
      @emmagine
      Yes

@CAVBOSS
      Yes

@Weird-O
      Yes

@Mastergunz
      Yes
      Yes

@hjorhrafn
      Yes

@Jeneki
      Yes

@Dilvish the Deliverer
      Yes

@Ludo
      Yes
      Yes

@Savage Coyote
      Yes

@Pegazus
      Yes
      Yes

@NomadZeke
      Yes

@CitizenCane
      Yes

@SparksMurphey
      Yes
      Yes

@Guyscanwefocusplease
      Yes

Remember we're doing this to have fun and make friends. Chat, share tips, tease us with WIP photos or text - but don't give away who you're painting for.

CAVa Claus is watching... :)

J--

############### ORIGINAL POST BELOW ########################

I come to the Reaper Forums from the Privateer Press forums. In my time there I got involved with a Secret Santa (SS) exchange where a group of people got together and agreed to paint and gift a model for a randomly selected member of the SS exchange.

In an effort to generate more community activity on the CAV forums I'm curious if there is any interest in a CAV-centric gift exchange? I haven't put together my thoughts on how to organize it yet but thought I'd see if their was enough interest to make it work.

I like CAV, I like the Reaper forums but the CAV sub-forums seem very, very quiet.

I'd honestly like to get to know more of you and what better way than to paint a mini for my CAV neighbor in the spirit of the season.

J--
    • By Pegazus
      So, signed up for the CAV Secret Santa exchange over in the CAV subforums, and needed to put up WIP pictures etc. But why do pictures when you can do video, eh?!

If you're in on the CAV Secret Santa, you can click the spoilers below to see the pictures and video as well, but you'll, uh, be spoiling it for you if you're the one on my list.

And you could be. But maybe you aren't.

• By Dalth
      Started working on a Terran Thunderbird, and I don't have pictures yet.  But it's really not much more then primed at this point.

I'm going to do a woodlands camo pattern I think, so I based the whole thing with a sandy tan color and did the dark lining on it.  A friend of mine that Talespinner knows as "my pretend friend Rick" suggested that I start with the lightest color which makes sense.  I used the brown liner to do the dark lining.

Question is what to do next, should I paint most of it green and leave parts tan, and then paint the brown parts, and then finally black?  Or would it be better to paint parts green, and parts brown and parts black? 

Also is there anything I should do before I start the camo pattern? 
    • By Guyscanwefocusplease
      Hi all,

It has been a really busy year for me, between moving across the country, starting a new job, finding a place to live, getting married, major surgery for the missus, and evacuating/rebuilding after a major hurricane.  Unfortunately, this has left little time for painting- and it’s been driving me nuts!

After the wedding a few weeks back, we finally had some time to take a step back and breathe.  The wife poked me and said “why don’t you start painting again?”

The first thing I picked up was this squad of half-finished Ritterlich Republic cougars I had been working on last winter before the move.  They had been painted and inked, but not assembled, highlighted or jeweled.

I’ve been working on them a few hours at a time over the past few weeks, and finally had a big chunk of the day yesterday where I could sit down and power through them… here they are!  I still need to do the bases, but I couldn’t do that last night as the glue was still drying.  They will also get a matte varnish coat, but I'd like to get your C&C on a few things before then.

As I have mentioned before, this is from the CAV kickstarter; one of the things I wanted to do with the kickstarter CAVs was to explore a different painting technique for each army.  For the Ritter, this was edging. 
      As time went on, I started to become a bit fatigued at the sheer amount of edging required.  This caused me to slowly rotate from display quality (for me at least) to more tabletop quality. But hey, a painted mini is always better than an unpainted one, and easing up a bit on the quality allowed me to finish them quickly.

I am also trying to incorporate more blending in the canopies, as well as some OSL effects.  As you can see, I am still practicing.  I expect I will get better with time (at least I hope I do)!
      As always, C & C are very welcome.  I am trying to get better and I can’t do that without critique.  Any comments about how to improve the jeweling or OSL in particular would be most appreciated. 

If anyone wants the paints or techniques used, I can provide that information too.

• By jsalyers
      Some thoughts on The CavCon tournament.
      The Good:
      The tournament was well organized. The terrain looked great. Jon and Tim were available to answer questions and explain the reasons behind various decisions at any time.
      I've never had more one on one time to interact with a game developer ever. Jon went out of his way to walk me though several parts of the game that I didn't understand and he was open to feedback to improve the game for me (and hopefully others).
      The veteran players Todd Farnholtz, Ross Hines, and Brandon Baker were friendly, open, and available to explain both the rules and their thoughts about the 'meta'.
      Todd and Ross are also fabulous painters with lots of experience in the niche of painting giant robots to look like giant robots. They shared tips and feedback with me which I appreciate a lot,
      The Bad:
      The tournament terrain looked awesome but it's nature and layout limited the kinds of forces that were viable in the tournament.
      The tallest piece of cover on the boards I saw was a level 3 hill. That is it in the background of the photo where my figures 
      - in red and grey - are learning the meaning of the phrase 'shock check'. :)
      The deployment zone of my opponent (Ross Hines) had an elevation 2 hill just outside of it. All Ross had to do was walk forward for one activation and then his CAVs - in blue and black - were at elevation 4 which lets him see over the highest elevation terrain on the board. On his first turn he could fire Guided Missiles 6" deployment + 7" Move + 64" Extreme range = 77". The playing area is only 72" long.

[Edited to correct the Silverback's movement from 5" to 7"]

I literally had no where to hide from his fire.
      Additionally, being at elevation 4 allowed him to see over the intervening 'woods' which are only elevation 3. I could only gain the benefit of cover by hugging against it within one inch. The trees did serve to slow down my forward progress as I had to either go around them or spend extra movement to go through them.
      I've only played about a dozen games of CAV so I may be missing an aspect of the terrain rules or some strategy that mitigates the lack of LOS blocking terrain.
      The Excellent:
      The people. The models. The game.
      No better example of good people than Jeff my second round opponent. He is a veteran CAV player who helped me through the rules I was unfamiliar with and shared numerous stories about the history of the game.
      The new Firedrake model is beautiful. I love it's angular lines and the compactness of it's rocket launchers - I bought 6 of them. :)
      The game plays fast once you get several games under your belt. The rules flow logically and I found by the end of the tournament I rarely had to ask how something worked.
      Perhaps the last and best compliment that I can give is that I'm already planning my next force. I have the paint scheme in mind and plan to experiment with heavily weathered CAVs.
      I hope to meet and play CAV with all of you at the tournament next year.

• Who's Online   28 Members, 4 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)