Time to continue the frigate. The first thing we need is the frigate itself. After working on the bridge and sealing some holes, the vessel had to dry.

jykm-35s-6b9f.jpg

Time to look what else the vessel got in store.

I assume that's one of the 80's style pinace boats that were later replaced by modern RHIB fast attack boats.

jykm-35p-f9b2.jpg

And that's obviously a turned over litter bin.

jykm-35n-e8b5.jpg

... a sick turned over litter bin.

jykm-35r-c9f1.jpg

What's that? No way?! Really? It's supposed to be a RAM launcher? Really now?

220px-RIM-116_Rolling_Airframe_Missile_L

Are you sure? I mean ... really. Revell: Feel bad. that's quite a bad sculpt.

And this one?

jykm-35q-5376.jpg

You're not going to tell me it's supposed to be a Harpoon launcher ...

016100f.jpg

And this is supposed to be a SEA SPARROW system

jykm-35o-fe28.jpg

... Well, okay - I might accept that.

F214-Lubeck-016.jpg

To be honest - that's really ridiculous. I know my commissioner said I shouldn't waste too much time with it, but this ... shame ... really sparks my will to improve the vessel a bit.

Starting on the RAM launcher, I did a few alterations and improvements. Looks more like a RAM launcher now.

jykm-35t-420b.jpg

Then I started to attach the first railing, which is set around the helicopter landing deck and can be turned down. As we have got two helicopters on the model, I figured it would be great to turn the railing down.

jykm-35u-e97d.jpg

Next will be those funny looking Harpoon launchers. I already got an idea how to improve them ... hihi. That will be fun.

Edited by SisterMaryNapalm
  • Like 8

Are both the StuG and the Panther the Warlord Games/Italeri ones?  The StuG I'm almost sure of, since it's identical to mine.  I got the StuG and a Panther at Reapercon, which is weirdly random that I would also have those two to work on.  I also got some of the plastic grenadiers and I saw that you were able to attach the MP40s with straps onto your figures - including one using the raised panzerfaust arms.  I couldn't figure out how you did it without breaking the strap because mine wouldn't fit, but it looks like I was trying to get it to fit over the body wearing the zeltbahn.  That might be what was causing me trouble.

I like the grenadier set, even if they look a little gorilla-man with their exagerrated features, but I bought them at Reapercon in a rush (Mario the Frontline Games vendor brought a lot of his Bolt Action stuff for me to pick through and just as I started I got ambushed by Kuro to sit down and paint - wound up with 5 sets of americans and only 1 set of germans, excellent planning on my part).  I think I'd like the set more if there were more generic uniforms, but I since found out there's a different late war plastic set that I can mix in.  I'm looking more for ragtag kampfgruppe than hardened veterans with StG 44s.  

The StuG is not... terrible, but I would have liked it more if it had come with a Saukopf option.  I like the look better than the box mantlet.  Rubicon Models makes a nice StuG IIIg with all three options.  

Once I'm settled back into my house I can take stock of the random pile of stuff I bought at Reapercon and work out what more I need to procure to build some actual units.  Generally I tend to build roughly equal armies of opposing teams for games, since if I do get to game it's likely to be a pick-up sort of thing at my place.

I lost almost all my Flames of War figures and vehicles, but did fish out the books.  Rebuilding that isn't something I really want to do again, but I did come across and interesting idea recently where some people have started playing FoW and Team Yankee using GHQ 6mm scale figures and vehicles at half scale.  I might give that a try, it's inexpensive enough to experiment with and it's that or not play FoW at all.  (It also has the advantage of only needing a 2' x 3' table and not a 4' x 6')

• Like 1

Time to continue. Finished the Sea Sparrow launcher. Looks better now, I think.

jykm-35v-4f2c.jpg

jykm-35w-1eed.jpg

And that what I currently work on. Some day, this will be the Harpoon launcher.

jykm-35x-4442.jpg

Let's see if it will work out.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

Are both the StuG and the Panther the Warlord Games/Italeri ones?  The StuG I'm almost sure of, since it's identical to mine.  I got the StuG and a Panther at Reapercon, which is weirdly random that I would also have those two to work on.  I also got some of the plastic grenadiers and I saw that you were able to attach the MP40s with straps onto your figures - including one using the raised panzerfaust arms.  I couldn't figure out how you did it without breaking the strap because mine wouldn't fit, but it looks like I was trying to get it to fit over the body wearing the zeltbahn.  That might be what was causing me trouble.

I am not sure about the exact origin, as I bought them as remnants. But I tend to think that the Panther is from a dfifferent company. It is very fine and detailed and not so bulky as is the StuG.

But what a coincidence. That is maybe a great possibility to maybe meet up and paint together. Or not. We will see. Haha.

In regard to the grenadiers: I am not sure what you are referring to, but bear in mind that there are just 9 Grenadiers, but 18 Fallschirmjäger, which have a different build and therefore are better suited for the equipment.

I like the grenadier set, even if they look a little gorilla-man with their exagerrated features, but I bought them at Reapercon in a rush (Mario the Frontline Games vendor brought a lot of his Bolt Action stuff for me to pick through and just as I started I got ambushed by Kuro to sit down and paint - wound up with 5 sets of americans and only 1 set of germans, excellent planning on my part).  I think I'd like the set more if there were more generic uniforms, but I since found out there's a different late war plastic set that I can mix in.  I'm looking more for ragtag kampfgruppe than hardened veterans with StG 44s.  

I don't like the grenadiers at all. I think this set is way too much into warhammer 40k style than wwii. I liked the original metal figures they had early on much more. A shame I sold all my Fallschirmjäger units back then.

Well, I am think about buying some Waffen SS troops and convert them into Winter Germans to better mix my forces. But as for now, I still have to finish a lot of figures. Guess in the end I will come up with a complete company for gaming.

The hardened veteran play which was possible is first edition of Bolt Action has been nerfed - At least if I remember correctly. I think, a well mixed Kampfgruppe is better suited for late war, as there were not many elite units left. If I remember, there were only three our for divisions, which had all their equipment and were ready to fight on. the rest more or less scrambled everything they got.

The StuG is not... terrible, but I would have liked it more if it had come with a Saukopf option.  I like the look better than the box mantlet.  Rubicon Models makes a nice StuG IIIg with all three options.  

Well, on my part, I think they choose this option to make the kit fit to all theaters of the war, as the Saukopfblende was a rather late improvement (from end of 1943). But as you said: The rubicon one is maybe a better solution.

Once I'm settled back into my house I can take stock of the random pile of stuff I bought at Reapercon and work out what more I need to procure to build some actual units.  Generally I tend to build roughly equal armies of opposing teams for games, since if I do get to game it's likely to be a pick-up sort of thing at my place.

Well, I didn't game for a long time, but I enjoy finishing the models and then put them in my showcase so I maybe can get someone interested in them - sooner or later.

I lost almost all my Flames of War figures and vehicles, but did fish out the books.  Rebuilding that isn't something I really want to do again, but I did come across and interesting idea recently where some people have started playing FoW and Team Yankee using GHQ 6mm scale figures and vehicles at half scale.  I might give that a try, it's inexpensive enough to experiment with and it's that or not play FoW at all.  (It also has the advantage of only needing a 2' x 3' table and not a 4' x 6')

It's a shame to hear that. I mean - it's always not so much about the financial loss, but about the loss of all the time and effort you put into your miniatures. But I think 6mm is a good solution, though for me it would be too small.

Thanks for the comment, buglips.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, SisterMaryNapalm said:

In regard to the grenadiers: I am not sure what you are referring to, but bear in mind that there are just 9 Grenadiers, but 18 Fallschirmjäger, which have a different build and therefore are better suited for the equipment.

Oh, that could be.  I'm not familiar with the fallschirmjager and I bought the full (30?) figure grenadier box and have only briefly played around with it (I made a Leutnant and an attendant).  I did complete construction of the full 25-figure late war British Infantry from Warlord and painted... maybe nine, I think.  My temporary work area wasn't great and once we got to mid-december the house was complete enough that getting possession could happen at any time so I packed everything up.  I'm told we get the keys Monday, and by Wednesday we should be moved in.  All I need is to find a chair and I'm ready to get back to it.  

Residual package delay from the postal strike should be abated by then, too, so I can mail order some things.  I think I might just go all-in and buy the starter sets for Black Powder, Pike & Shotte, and Hail Caeser.  Maybe also the Bolt Action one for some extra Grenadiers and US Airborne and other bits.  This will let me build some small 'complete games' relatively quickly and give me the rules for all four.  Then I can find out which seems to be the fun and popular choice, or possibly even find a local who also likes the stuff.  I'm keen on all of it, I think mostly because it makes a variety of eras accessible and easy to get into.  I've always had an interest in ancients, for example, but finding rules and army lists and models used to be quite a lot of work.  In a way Warlord has made it so it's less scattering of effort for me to indulge a variety of games and figures - I can buy a box of Dacian cavalry at the same time I go to buy some Hanoverians or Hanomags.  I know some people have heavy criticism of Warlord's rules, mostly finding them too casual, but they work for my needs and having all the games under one roof and easy to get is an enormous benefit.  (My biggest criticism of Battlefront's FoW, and part of why I'm so loathe to rebuild it up again, is that it was way too difficult to even buy the things I wanted when I wanted them)

It shouldn't be torture to try and find product.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

Oh, that could be.  I'm not familiar with the fallschirmjager and I bought the full (30?) figure grenadier box and have only briefly played around with it (I made a Leutnant and an attendant).  I did complete construction of the full 25-figure late war British Infantry from Warlord and painted... maybe nine, I think.  My temporary work area wasn't great and once we got to mid-december the house was complete enough that getting possession could happen at any time so I packed everything up.  I'm told we get the keys Monday, and by Wednesday we should be moved in.  All I need is to find a chair and I'm ready to get back to it.  

Residual package delay from the postal strike should be abated by then, too, so I can mail order some things.  I think I might just go all-in and buy the starter sets for Black Powder, Pike & Shotte, and Hail Caeser.  Maybe also the Bolt Action one for some extra Grenadiers and US Airborne and other bits.  This will let me build some small 'complete games' relatively quickly and give me the rules for all four.  Then I can find out which seems to be the fun and popular choice, or possibly even find a local who also likes the stuff.  I'm keen on all of it, I think mostly because it makes a variety of eras accessible and easy to get into.  I've always had an interest in ancients, for example, but finding rules and army lists and models used to be quite a lot of work.  In a way Warlord has made it so it's less scattering of effort for me to indulge a variety of games and figures - I can buy a box of Dacian cavalry at the same time I go to buy some Hanoverians or Hanomags.  I know some people have heavy criticism of Warlord's rules, mostly finding them too casual, but they work for my needs and having all the games under one roof and easy to get is an enormous benefit.  (My biggest criticism of Battlefront's FoW, and part of why I'm so loathe to rebuild it up again, is that it was way too difficult to even buy the things I wanted when I wanted them)

It shouldn't be torture to try and find product.  

You could also put them all together and let Romans ride to battle in a Hanomag.

Which reminds me: I need to get a number of 251 to equipment my grenadiers.

Edited by SisterMaryNapalm
  • Like 3

With the panzerfausts, are you making the figures the way Warlord recommends in the rules?  By which I mean having one figure modeled with it and then when it's fired, substitute a different figure in that isn't modeled with a panzerfaust.  This sort of makes sense in the context they provide, in order to provide clarity when a single-use weapon is used, but it strikes me as wasteful.  In the grenadier box set there are separate individual panzerfausts, so I think that what I'll do instead is have those at hand and if a figure will be equipped with one I can just lay it on their base between their feet.  Then once it's used up, I can just remove the weapon and place it aside and not need an additional figure to substitute in.  This will also let me distribute the panzerfausts to any figures I wish and not be permanently tied to just those modeled with it.  You mentioned that you only had a few grenadiers so I'm not sure if you got that extra sprue with your bunch.  

• Like 4

Nope. Because that would mean I have to create figures of that exact same loadout - and to be honest: I don't care about that. The figures simply display that there is a panzerfaust in the Squad. Because if I think further that way - and if I remember correctly, Panzerfäuste are counted per unit, then I need a Panzerfaust figure for every other figure. So, no, I do not use interchangable Panzerfäuste. We always used old AMMO LOW markers from Dystopian Wars to tell when a unit was out of Panzerfäuste.

• Like 3

I forgot to mention that you're doing a nice job on that frigate.  I looked the kit up and it's one I haven't done but have seen (labeled as Bremen), I thought I recognized it.  It's 1/300 which is a peculiar scale I've only seen on German ship subjects (the research vessel Meteor is another - Meteor I have built) and the kit has been around since at least the early 80s.  The kit isn't super terrible for its time, I've seen plenty worse, but your improvements are making a big difference!  

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

I forgot to mention that you're doing a nice job on that frigate.  I looked the kit up and it's one I haven't done but have seen (labeled as Bremen), I thought I recognized it.  It's 1/300 which is a peculiar scale I've only seen on German ship subjects (the research vessel Meteor is another - Meteor I have built) and the kit has been around since at least the early 80s.  The kit isn't super terrible for its time, I've seen plenty worse, but your improvements are making a big difference!  

Thanks, but ... that's nothing ... check this guy out:

http://modellboard.net/index.php/topic,38741.0.html

• Like 4

Let's have a look at the frigate.

Got some of the antennas done:

jykm-36p-5767.jpg

The bow is finished as well.

jykm-36r-f68a.jpg

portside life rafts are done as well.

jykm-36q-e536.jpg

Which follows will be the rest of the antennas, starboard side life rafts, the main mast and some small stuff. And then we are done and ready to paint.

• Like 5