OneBoot

An experiment in Wappel-style painting

Wow!! really? Did you also paint its eyes with that brush? 

Still, the result is incredible! Give us moar? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, VolksFest said:

Wow!! really? Did you also paint its eyes with that brush? 

Still, the result is incredible! Give us moar? 

Lol no, the eyes, teeth, tongue and claws were all done with a Size 0, though I probably could have managed the claws and tongue with the big brush. 

Since MrBoot is starting up a new Pathfinder campaign, I expect that I will be painting more minis in a similar fashion in the future. :) 

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

That is awesome! The only Wappel-related note I could give is that you opened too many bottles of paint! ::P:

Seriously though, at Rcon 2016 I saw him paint two stands of FoW* infantry to roughly period-accurate colors using only a red, yellow, blue, black and white...in 30 minutes...while actively and animatedly carrying a completely unrelated conversation. The man is some kind of warlock.

Really lovely work, though. I havent been able to apply the stuff from his classes nearly as well, yet. You got excellent results in very good time!

* I think it was Flames of War...I don't play historicals, so I can't be certain.

• Like 8

That's great! I can't believe you got it to look so nice in an hour! I am super slow and would have it basecoated and starting on the face in about an hour. ::D: I think he looks really good!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I must admit to enjoying the sloppier parts of painting..one reason I like terrain so much. However you did the Wolf Man, he looks WONDERFUL. He looks like you spent quite a bit more time than you did. VERY WELL DONE!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Needs more purple! :poke:

Seriously though, that looks great, it definitely looks like you spent way more time on it than you did. And you had fun, which is the most important part! ^_^

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone! ^_^

5 hours ago, Sanael said:

That is awesome! The only Wappel-related note I could give is that you opened too many bottles of paint! ::P:

Seriously though, at Rcon 2016 I saw him paint two stands of FoW* infantry to roughly period-accurate colors using only a red, yellow, blue, black and white...in 30 minutes...while actively and animatedly carrying a completely unrelated conversation. The man is some kind of warlock.

:lol: You are completely correct! I don't know that I'll ever be able to completely move away from using the premixed colors I already have (because there's just too many pretty ones!), but I am going to be trying to do more mixing colors on my pallette and brush like he does, which will help me achieve smoother blends much more quickly. :) 

And yes, he totally is some sort of wizardly mad genius; watching him at work is a real treat! 

3 hours ago, Pochi said:

That's great! I can't believe you got it to look so nice in an hour! I am super slow and would have it basecoated and starting on the face in about an hour. ::D:

Thank you so much! I'm normally a slow painter as well, which has frustrated me numerous times in the past. So, this ReaperCon I specifically took a couple of classes with the goal of improving my speed: Good Fast Painting by Tish Wolter, and Shaded Basecoats by Wappel. They helped so much! 

3 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

That's fantastic!

I hope I can get into his class next year.

If you can, you should! It's a mind-breaking experience, but so awesome! :D

3 hours ago, malefactus said:

I must admit to enjoying the sloppier parts of painting..one reason I like terrain so much. However you did the Wolf Man, he looks WONDERFUL. He looks like you spent quite a bit more time than you did. VERY WELL DONE!

Thank you! I've generally been a very tidy painter, but that costs me quite a bit in speed. So I'm sort of learning backwards, because I'm trying to be messier! :lol:

2 hours ago, Guindyloo said:

Needs more purple! :poke:

Seriously though, that looks great, it definitely looks like you spent way more time on it than you did. And you had fun, which is the most important part! ^_^

Totally agree, it does need more purple! But MrBoot likes realism, so I had to settle for subtle purple undertone (which the camera entirely failed to pick up). We do have another one, though, so I might do it up in very dark purples as a sort of monochrome thing, or possibly blue. Just for fun. ^_^

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 8

VERY cool!

i need to do something like that too. I haven’t painted anything since I got back from the Con 

• Like 1