Reapercon 2018 Enthusiasm and Chatter

Highlander

18 minutes ago, knarthex said:

My minis are always carry on 

Be it carry on or checked, a good practice is to make anything likely to trigger a warning easy to retrieve. (like a bunch of metal minis)

You don't want a TSA agent have to dig at the very bottom of a bag or suitcase. and then have to pack everything again, in a hurry, while everyone else in back of the line is giving you the evil look.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, haldir said:

You'll even get a Checked by the TSA slip!! If you don't then TSA isn't doing their job properly, ::D:.

Be aware that TSA will not even attempt to carefully repack your bag if they have to root through it to look at something.   I've had several items damaged as a result, because when I travel for work, I have to pack a tool box. I've now had to file three claims against the TSA, and each time it was a hassle. 

Some things that I've found can help
- put the suspicious stuff on top where they can inspect it easily

- carry some sort of "explanation" of what they are if they aren't obvious.  I actually taped a business card and used a Sharpie to write a note on the inside of my suitcase to the the TSA that says "Dear TSA agent, I am a technician travelling with his tools."   I also carry a couple brochures of the equipment that I work on.  I'd recommend having some ReaperCon material in your bag. 
- use sub bags to compartmentalize things - it makes repacking the whole suitcase easier. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

• Reaper User

For those curious I have left a few slots open anticipating freetime to run the following games:

Paranoia XP

OneDice (super secret playtest)

TimeWatch

Ashen Stars

FATE of the Floating Vagabond

I plan to run something Wednesday night to test out my webcam for the purpose of recording our game sessions.

>>ReaperWolf

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Cranky Dog said:

Be it carry on or checked, a good practice is to make anything likely to trigger a warning easy to retrieve. (like a bunch of metal minis)

You don't want a TSA agent have to dig at the very bottom of a bag or suitcase. and then have to pack everything again, in a hurry, while everyone else in back of the line is giving you the evil look.

I usually carry my entries with me in a separate small suitcase and a note saying "art for competition" which either gets it passed through without comment or opened because the agent wants to take a look and see... (just cant win!)

for melt and paints, I pack my normal luggage and then put all the weird stuff on top with notes saying what it is.  that way they normally just inspect the surface without going through the entire bag.  When in doubt assume laziness will trump suspicion. 

2 minutes ago, ReaperWolf said:

For those curious I have left a few slots open anticipating freetime to run the following games:

Paranoia XP

OneDice (super secret playtest)

TimeWatch

Ashen Stars

FATE of the Floating Vagabond

I plan to run something Wednesday night to test out my webcam for the purpose of recording our game sessions.

>>ReaperWolf

I would love a game of Paranoia and a few of the others but I have to watch my stamina pretty closely these days.  I sort of have to take these things as they come.  PM or tell me when and I will try to stop by and catch a few, but if all seats are taken I am just as happy to paint and watch ::D:

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

Be aware that TSA will not even attempt to carefully repack your bag if they have to root through it to look at something.   I've had several items damaged as a result, because when I travel for work, I have to pack a tool box. I've now had to file three claims against the TSA, and each time it was a hassle. 

Some things that I've found can help
- put the suspicious stuff on top where they can inspect it easily

- carry some sort of "explanation" of what they are if they aren't obvious.  I actually taped a business card and used a Sharpie to write a note on the inside of my suitcase to the the TSA that says "Dear TSA agent, I am a technician travelling with his tools."   I also carry a couple brochures of the equipment that I work on.  I'd recommend having some ReaperCon material in your bag. 
- use sub bags to compartmentalize things - it makes repacking the whole suitcase easier. 

Exactly, I always throw the melt bag either on top or in the corner on the bottom but on top. Easily accessible for them. Melt bag not as big this year. 5 pounds!!

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, haldir said:

Exactly, I always throw the melt bag either on top or in the corner on the bottom but on top. Easily accessible for them. Melt bag not as big this year. 5 pounds!!

I have about 10 lb this year (depending on how the simple green cleans up some of my bigger failures :) 

But then again, I am chasing dragons and while they may be creatures of the light,  they are not light creatures...::P:

• Like 5

• Reaper User

All of the official ReaperCon Dreadmere and Hillsedge Province tabletop rpg events have pregens provided. There is a signup, seats are limited but I encourage folks to swing by even if the event is full. Sometimes I seat +1 and no-shows are not uncommon.

>>ReaperWolf

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

If I don't have a min amount for my game, I'll try & get a person by having someone announce I need a player. If I can't get anyone that way, then most likely I probably won't run the game. I ran a game with a couple last year & the game was fun, I had to modify the game quite a bit since it was made for a party of 4 or 5. I really don't want to do that again this year.

There will be a printed convention guide with the schedule printed. At least past RCon there has been.

• Like 7