Highlander

Reapercon 2018 Enthusiasm and Chatter

Highly unlikely that I can wander off that weekend to go to a con when I'll be away for most of August.  Especially right when school is starting. Maybe next year.  

I tried checking the PAX West dates but they're not announced.  Normally that also happens Labor Day weekend.  I rarely attend, but Wise Kraken likes to, so choices will have to be made.  I do like the sound of the venue, though.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, nytflyr said:

was looking at the "normal" rates for the hotel, I'm hoping for a deep convention rate discount. Ive looked at other hotels in the area and they are already booked... may be to expensive for my budget this year :(

The daily rate isn't that much more than what the HGI normally charged. Even then, there is always the possibility of room sharing.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Mr Melons said:

The daily rate isn't that much more than what the HGI normally charged. Even then, there is always the possibility of room sharing.

true that, and I might have found another option :)

• Like 5

I'm going to wait and see what the rate is before I speculate on attendance. ^_^

• Like 7

Just checked on trivago for those that aren't willing to pay the hotel cost

Knight's End  45.00 per night. (cheapest rate)

Checked flights for giggles & round trip  for me is around 300. Surprisingly that is cheaper then last year's prices. I do believe they were around 350.

• Like 3

Well I for one am gonna still continue planning the games I'll run for the Con. I'm also gonna put in my request next week or the week after. We had a new big boss transfer to the store at the start of December. I'll explain the whole situation with the Con & me & hope for the best. Nice thing I guess I've never requested a major holiday off before so I guess there is a first right?

• Like 6

I don't care what it costs, I'm staying in the swanky new hotel.  Last year was okay, but staying at the place where the con takes place is worth a lot to me.  

Instead of navigating the byzantine roads I can just stroll down after my morning coffee.  Hang around after the con closes down.  It'll be nice.  

• Like 20

3 hours ago, haldir said:

Just checked on trivago for those that aren't willing to pay the hotel cost

Knight's End  45.00 per night. (cheapest rate)

Checked flights for giggles & round trip  for me is around 300. Surprisingly that is cheaper then last year's prices. I do believe they were around 350.

I checked there as well, many choices under 100 bucks, and many less then 3 miles from the Convention center (very close to Reaper as well it seems). I'd prefer a La Quinta, but even those are on higher end. I will have to research more and balance amenities, reviews and price to find a nice balance. Comfort inn maybe? As for getting there, will either drive our car or rent a car and come out. The last time we flew, TSA treated my wife SO POORLY (her grandmother just died and her ID had just expired, she was ultra emotional you tards::(: ), even AFTER getting her new ID on the return flight, I REFUSE to fly anymore. Driving and hitting all the sites is half the fun anyway:)

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

I don't care what it costs, I'm staying in the swanky new hotel.  Last year was okay, but staying at the place where the con takes place is worth a lot to me.  

Instead of navigating the byzantine roads I can just stroll down after my morning coffee.  Hang around after the con closes down.  It'll be nice.  

So much this! Not having to secure a ride between the hotel/con at any time of day is worth it.

If I want an afternoon nap between classes, the room is within walking distance. If I don't want to carry my new acquisitions, the room is within walking distance. If I just want some quiet time, the room is within walking distance.

Hopefully, shuttle services from/to the airport will also be easier.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

Helps plan after Con activities like gaming & such as well. & if I am able to go I'll definitely be staying at the hotel.

31 minutes ago, Cranky Dog said:

Hopefully, shuttle services from/to the airport will also be easier.

I checked a couple of services for that too

Price for Lyft would be around 40 & Supershuttle service was like 27 dollars

Hotel is around 45 mins from DFW.

• Like 6

So far, hotel prices aren't scaring me too much. Between needing to get from/to the airport and needing to get to the con site (without having to rely on someone else), I opted for a rental car last year. Just not having to do that is worth putting some of that  $$ toward the hotel.  (Plus everything already mentioned by @buglips*the*goblin and @Cranky Dog.)

• Like 4

3 hours ago, haldir said:

Helps plan after Con activities like gaming & such as well. & if I am able to go I'll definitely be staying at the hotel.

I checked a couple of services for that too

Price for Lyft would be around 40 & Supershuttle service was like 27 dollars

Hotel is around 45 mins from DFW.

I'll be driving, but you might want to check with the hotel for a hotel operated shuttle or a recommended shuttle service that the hotel has a working arrangement with.

GEM

236 days and counting

• Like 3

Interesting that it's Thursday through Sunday on a holiday weekend. For me, it would be easier to take just a single day off if the event ran Friday through Monday.

Then again, airports/flights are probably crazy on Labor Day.

• Like 4