Highlander

Reapercon 2018 Enthusiasm and Chatter

I'm just really nervous about everything. I have social anxiety, so too much times in crowds can make me nervous. 

How long are reapercon's hours, normally? Like, what time does it open, and what time does it close?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

I'm just really nervous about everything. I have social anxiety, so too much times in crowds can make me nervous. 

How long are reapercon's hours, normally? Like, what time does it open, and what time does it close?

Not sure with the new venue but last year it was open at 9 or 9:30 and I left at 8 or so.  Think things were still going on then, I just left to set up at the fire Pit forafter con shenanigans.  With the convention Center being at the hotel, if the crowds get to be too much, you can just head to your room.  Others have/done so in the past.

I'm a beliver in the one class a day philosophy; there is too much stuff to do it all.  I may even not take some classes on some days so can participate in more activities.

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

You’ll be around a lot of people with the same anxiety, so drifting back up to the room for a bit won’t be uncommon. Getting up to look at the gallery is a good break as well. And remember, you’ll be around new friends!

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

With the convention Center being at the hotel, if the crowds get to be too much, you can just head to your room.  Others have/done so in the past

This will be especially easy this year because you can just hit the elevator and take a time out.  During the last couple years, being able taking the shuttle back to the hotel was great, but it would easily consume an hour or more.

• Like 3

The show will open at 9:00 am, and classes will begin at 10:00 am. Games could start at 9:00 am, but we are still setting that up.

The Dealer's Area will close at 6:00 pm, but the big Open Painting area will be open until 10:-00 pm. There will be some night-owl classes available if any instructors want to  take those slots, so there may be a 9-11pm class slot(s).

But once the Open Painting area closes, there will be pockets of people hanging out; and the Gaming Areas will be open all night for anyone wanting to do pickup games.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

How many classes would returners suggest signing up for? I know the max is 8...if I have the four day pass and take 3 Thursday, 2 Friday, 2 Saturday, and 1 Sunday, will I still have enough time to enjoy the other stuff at the con?

I did 2 classes per day last year and don't recommend more than that.  (We were only there for 3 days.)  Keep in mind you have to still eat lunch, you might want to take a factory tour, look through the melt table or look at the gallery.  Plus last year there was a punch card that you had to visit all the vendors to get punched if you wanted the free mini.  I was busy all the time.  If I was going this year I would take fewer classes, but that's also partially because I took so many last year.  

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Reaper Ron said:

The show will open at 9:00 am, and classes will begin at 10:00 am. Games could start at 9:00 am, but we are still setting that up.

The Dealer's Area will close at 6:00 pm, but the big Open Painting area will be open until 10:-00 pm. There will be some night-owl classes available if any instructors want to  take those slots, so there may be a 9-11pm class slot(s).

But once the Open Painting area closes, there will be pockets of people hanging out; and the Gaming Areas will be open all night for anyone wanting to do pickup games.

Sounds so much better than the last couple of years.  Having  the con in the hotel makes things to much more relaxing and convenient ... and restful.  My only regret with the venue change is not being to eat at Mariscos 2000 restaurant.

Edited by Highlander
  • Like 5

Sorry for all the posts - I'm a planner type of person, and I like to have everything figured out right away so it isn't taking up space in my mind distracting me from other stuff. I'm finding myself overwhelmed by the selection, though. Does anyone else get overwhelmed when thinking about this stuff? 

I know this is silly to think about so far ahead of time, but as I said, I'm one of those people who planned their class schedule as soon as available classes were set in college. Is there a way for me to get advice on which classes among the ones I'm interested in could benefit me most at my skill level?

• Like 8

Yes...and i stepped away from it until everything is final and they say "GO GO GO!"

Trying to decide what to do with my daughter this year.  She can always take Tish's class again but if I find something for beginners and the instructor is fine with her being in there then I will just sign us both up again like I did last year for Bob's horror basing class.  We really enjoyed it and she got a lot out of it since she enjoys basing so much.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

Sorry for all the posts - I'm a planner type of person, and I like to have everything figured out right away so it isn't taking up space in my mind distracting me from other stuff. I'm finding myself overwhelmed by the selection, though. Does anyone else get overwhelmed when thinking about this stuff? 

I know this is silly to think about so far ahead of time, but as I said, I'm one of those people who planned their class schedule as soon as available classes were set in college. Is there a way for me to get advice on which classes among the ones I'm interested in could benefit me most at my skill level?

You never need to worry about posting too much on these forums as the folks here have to be some of the friendliest and most accommodating people on the internet!

My wife is the same way in regards to wanting to plan things out thoroughly and well in advance.  It sometimes drives me nuts, but I can see the advantages!  :lol: 

All that being said, as one of the instructors (I'm Ian Markon when I'm not on the internet, for those who don't know), I would be happy to try to help you put together a list of great classes for your first ReaperCon.  If you want to PM me a couple of pictures of your work and a list of the classes you are interested in, I can try to help point you in the right direction!  ::):

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Kuro Cleanbrush said:

You never need to worry about posting too much on these forums as the folks here have to be some of the friendliest and most accommodating people on the internet!

My wife is the same way in regards to wanting to plan things out thoroughly and well in advance.  It sometimes drives me nuts, but I can see the advantages!  :lol: 

All that being said, as one of the instructors (I'm Ian Markon when I'm not on the internet, for those who don't know), I would be happy to try to help you put together a list of great classes for your first ReaperCon.  If you want to PM me a couple of pictures of your work and a list of the classes you are interested in, I can try to help point you in the right direction!  ::):

Thanks! I'll take you up on your offer! I'm going to paint some examples this week of what I can currently do. 

• Like 4

@Paradoxical Mouse I hear you on the social anxiety and 100% empathize. I often make it known that I have social anxiety because I can come across as being really unfriendly because I'm so quiet and avoid people in general which tends to make people think that I'm avoiding them specifically and not walking up to introduce myself to people makes them think that I'm not interested in meeting them. Or at least that's what my anxiety tells me it makes people think. It takes me a really, really long time to get comfortable enough to be myself around people in general and even more so in a situation where there's literally a crowd of people. There are a couple of people here who I talk to very often who, when I met them at Reapercon last year, I basically just told them hi and then ran away. :lol:

Something that I have learned from apologizing for myself to other painters outside of the forum is that it's actually really, really common in this hobby. Our anxiety tends to work in overdrive trying to isolate us from others, both physically and mentally. But you're not alone, not by a long shot.

So ask whatever questions you need to ask and plan whatever you need to plan. There's nothing wrong with preparing yourself in whatever way is best for you to cut down on some of your anxiety. 

So, knowing where you're coming from, I would caution you not to overload yourself with classes. You're going to need downtime whether that involves going back to your room or going outside to get some air or whatever helps you to recharge. I know the temptation is there to load up on as many classes as possible, especially if you're not planning on going to any other cons where classes will be available, but be wary of needlessly adding to your stress level. Take into account the fact that you won't have your usual refuge to go back to recover. You're not going back home at night to recover in familiar surroundings, you're going back to an unfamiliar hotel room in an unfamiliar city with unfamiliar people. Add onto that trying to absorb as much info as possible and meeting a bunch of people and trying to look at all of the things and do all of the things and I'm getting really anxious just typing about it. :lol:

Obviously you know yourself best, but just really think about what kind of things are going to add to your stress and what might help to take away from it. There's a lot of people, no shortage of things going on and there's only so much you can reasonably expect of yourself in a day.

As far as what classes you should pick, I don't really know how to answer that for you. I can tell you that when I went to my first Reapercon in 2016, I had already been painting for a couple of years and still considered myself to be a beginner so I took beginner classes and a couple of classes that would benefit anyone from any skill level - for instance, Julie Guthrie's spooky tree class, which is super fun and she's wonderful :wub: Not every class that I've taken the past two years appear to be offered this year, but from my own personal experience, I would very highly recommend Ian Markon (Kuro Cleanbrush)'s Blending - Layering and Feathering class. It looks like that class is being offered both Thursday morning and Saturday afternoon. Ian's a great teacher and very helpful and approachable.....and while I was typing this up he displayed those facts very well. ::D:

I would also very highly recommend to any beginner or anyone who has maybe been painting for a while but feels like they're having trouble making that next step up from a sort of tabletop level taking Brice Cocanour's Everything I wish I knew when I started painting class, which is scheduled on Sunday morning. Brice goes through a lot of general really useful information and that class was where the proper highlight placement lightbulb finally went off in my head.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

There may be a quiet area set up; I know someone was talking about that.

Mr. Thorne will probably be set up someplace; he'll be hard to miss, as one of the few people not painting. He might not mind playing social briar-patch for anyone who needs a place to sit and not be social for a few. While he's really not as scary as he looks, he looks pretty scary. ^^;

• Like 3

I'm bringing along Mr. Mouse to be my little bit of home. So, at least I'll have him. But he'll probably be somewhere near the board games the entirety of the con, if I'm not dragging him around.

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, Guindyloo said:

@Paradoxical Mouse I hear you on the social anxiety and 100% empathize. I often make it known that I have social anxiety because I can come across as being really unfriendly because I'm so quiet and avoid people in general which tends to make people think that I'm avoiding them specifically and not walking up to introduce myself to people makes them think that I'm not interested in meeting them.

Wait...is this coming from the one who walks around with the chest burster attached to her?! :)

• Haha 4