TGP

Getting to Know You ... November Edition

2 hours ago, TGP said:

Tuesday Question, Nov 14th: What Is your favorite item of cold weather garb?

My silver-weave thermal underwear. It was quite expensive, but it keeps me warmer than anything else I wear, and they almost look like yoga pants on me. "Hey, why is Pezler wearing Lulu Lemons?"

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

My travel coffee mug. ::P:

If I had to choose, probably my Lord Vader jacket.

Edited by NomadZeke
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, TGP said:

I've got a Columbia coat that I've had since either 2003 or 2004.  That thing is great. Kind of overkill for West Texas winters though.  I only wear it a handful of weeks each year.  But that thing is gold when I visit relatives in the winter.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TGP said:

My favorite item is the scarf my wife knit me.  Second place goes to the wristwarmers she knit me that I can wear under my leather gloves.

The item I wear most is my trenchcoat.  It was originally black but it's faded in the 10+ years I've had it.  It has a warm lining so I can wear it for the winter, but it's sadly not much good against the cold.  I'm due to buy a new one but I keep forgetting to look for one during the four weeks the local stores will actually have them in stock.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, TGP said:

I have some lovely Darn Tough wool socks that are super warm and comfy.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TGP said:

In general I just keep flinging on more layers till I am warm. Favorite? Uhh... a really cool multicolor knit shawl my gramma made is probably the favorite.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, TGP said:

I have a half hat knitted by my mom, made from sheep she raised. (i don't remember if she spun the wool herself, but it was possible at the time) She eventually decided that spinning was not her fav. part of the process, and her wheel moved out to the wool storage shed.  

It is just the lower part of a stocking cap with a large whole in the top.  My head gets too warm in regular hats but this covers my forehead and ears. The reduced bulk make it fit more comfortably in my coat pockets.  

This is my second one after the original was lost. 

both practically and sentimentally this is my absolute favorite item.  

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, TGP said:

Sadly, I no longer have one.  We haven't had enough cold weather in a long time... a long time...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

I never want to visit an erupting volcano. I have a phobia of lava.

I'd say 'an active volcano' to be safe but I been to a few of those. I recommend Lassen over Yellowstone any day, much less people and smaller explody potential without a huge loss of thermal features. 

Not all erupting volcanos feature lava. Pyroclastic flow is more dangerous, contains lethal gasses, heat that cooks you as you run away, and tonnes of ash. This is what was so deadly about Mt Vesuvius and Mt Saint Helens. I experienced a St Helens eruption in June of 1980. Ashfall was like snowfall, only it was warm. And dusty.

A lot of lava is slow moving and kinda cool to observe, like at the volcanos in the Hawai'ian Islands. These are the land builders. ^_^

I studies volcanos for a character, who is a dragon who was born in a volcano. ^_^

6 hours ago, TGP said:

My homemade Australian Drover's Coat with blue demin and Egyptian patterned chenille. ^_^

• Like 3

On 11/13/2017 at 2:43 AM, TGP said:

Monday Question, Nov 13th: What should the opposite of "a bucket list" be called?

Do I need to explain what a bucket list is?

I think there is no opposite because it could be interpreted as a "things I wish I hadn't done" list or a "things to not do before I die" list or a "things to do after I die" list.

6 hours ago, TGP said:

Funny that you say garb since I bought it at Pennsic. My mongol hat.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TGP said:

My hair.

What? I have a head of comically thick, curly, waist-length hair that's only all gray if you look close enough. It can be oily and tameable and waterproof or it can be dry and soft and fluffy and warm depending on what I need that day. I can leave it down, I can let it drape over my neck, I can fluff it up, and then I can go out into the snow in flip flops, shorts, and a tank top. I have done this multiple times in multiple types of cold and yes it does weird people out. 

Barring that I have some cloth bracers with little silver metal bits. Or if I really need it, I have leather gloves and a trench coat.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, TGP said:

When my uncle worked as a security guard at a local underwater research facility, they issued him an Army surplus cold weather jacket and a pair of sub-zero rubber boots. Later on they were passed to me. The boots never really fit that well, so my old man ended up with them, but I still have that Army jacket close to twenty years later. It weighs a good five pounds and doesn't fit real well anymore, but it's definitely warm as hell.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, TGP said:

Depends on how cold it is and whether or not I have to go out. I have both a WW2 era wool coat and a full length fur coat that are excellent when it is windy, wet, and below zero.  But since we don't get that kind of weather here often I usually wear something lighter.  If I am staying indoors, like this winter, then my favorites are flannel shirts and fluffy socks. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TGP said:

Leggings, which I need a new pair of, to go under my pants and a shawl a friend knitted me for when it gets cold inside.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, TGP said:

I don't have a favourite item of clothing.  I have no fashion sense whatsoever so what I wear tends to be whatever piece of clothing is on top of the pile of clothes that I'm grabbing from.

• Like 3