TGP

Getting to Know You ... November Edition

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Weekend Question for Friday, Nov 3rd and Saturday, ***Nov 4th: What are your thoughts on inappropriately early Xmas decorations OR inappropriately goofy Xmas decorations AND can you manage to snap an image of such?

No photos.

However, I refuse to be shamed or to shame others for putting up their decorations for whatever holiday whenever they do. And the only decorations I disapprove of are those with the constantly moving/switching lights that are a distraction when driving. At night. In a neighborhood with kids.

Do what you will, harm none. Put up your decorations in August and take them down in May. If they make you happy and bring peace and joy, then it's no big deal.

Celebrate life while you can, it's all you've got. Some people don't get to have it all that long.

/endrant

• Like 10

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Weekend Question for Friday, Nov 3rd and Saturday, ***Nov 4th: What are your thoughts on inappropriately early Xmas decorations OR inappropriately goofy Xmas decorations AND can you manage to snap an image of such?

I enjoy Christmas decorations. I don't much care when Folks want to put them up or take them down for that matter.

What I do dislike is the hyper greed that accompanies the season. I  am not all that crazy about referring to Christmas as Xmas either.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, TGP said:

It kinda depends on what they are, and how much there is. (Some) lights and tasteful decorations are fine. If it looks like you need your own substation to power all the stuff you put up, it's too much.

Haven't seen any to take snaps of (yet).

9 minutes ago, malefactus said:

I enjoy Christmas decorations. I don't much care when Folks want to put them up or take them down for that matter.

What I do dislike is the hyper greed that accompanies the season. I  am not all that crazy about referring to Christmas as Xmas either.

I agree with that 1000%.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, malefactus said:

I want to enjoy Christmas decorations more, but I draw a fairly clear distinction between what people do WRT decorations, and what companies do WRT decorations.  Ror example,  if you want to hang your lights and start running them in August, whatever.  Unless you achieve truly epic levels of luminosity, and are within a couple houses of me, it doesn't affect me, and, if it did, I can probably take steps to mitigate it if it bothers me.

But when every store switches over to Christmas music, about 8 pm on Oct 31, and runs the same playlist of 37 songs over and over again, and all the store decorations are up by Nov 3, then there is nothing I can do to avoid it, short of moving to a hermitage for a sixth of the year.   (It's not unlike pumpkin spice - it's not my thing, but that's fine.  What's not fine is that everything, and I mean everything, has to be inundated with pumpkin spice every fall, because the spice must flow.)

• Like 11

5 hours ago, TGP said:

I did go to a restaurant to see if I could order A Mincemeat Pie and A Pumpkin Chiffon Pie for Thanksgiving.

They stopped making both.

:down:

They were the last place that even knew what a Mincemeat Pie was and Pumpkin Chiffon was their unique signature creation. 

Fooey. 

I feel your pain.  I get mincemeat pie for Thanksgiving and Christmas.  I wish I could find it more often.  The one butcher I use makes Actual Mincemeat filling.

2 hours ago, TGP said:

Early Christmas decorations make me grind my teeth!  Goofy is fun, not sure that I have anything that is inappropriately goofy.  Snap a picture of early decorations I could have done that in one store at Labor Day! As for households with them up, not in my neck of the woods.  They start going up the day after Thanksgiving. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, TGP said:

I'm with @Aryanun. Put up what you like when you like. And I make no exceptions for stores, either. (Not that I spend much time in stores any more.) I have much more problem with people complaining about what other people do.

1 hour ago, malefactus said:

I  am not all that crazy about referring to Christmas as Xmas either.

OK.

I'll note that the specific term dates to the 16th century in English and the use of Chi or Chi-Rho for "Christ" was originally Greek from much earlier than that.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, malefactus said:

Personally, I prefer the Xmas.  It feels weird writing out "Christmas." Especially since the season has nothing to do with Jesus for me. 

But I also grab-bag holiday benedictions at this time of year.  So a "Merry Christmas" might get returned with "and a Sanguine Saturnalia/Righteous Ramadan/Merry New Year/Spectacular Solstice/Happy Hanukkah/Festive Festivus etc to you!" :poke:::P:

edit: and I learned something new from @Doug Sundseth  I was using the X as a placeholder and saying it as "Ecks-mas." :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by VitM
  • Like 9

I knew about the Chi-rho, but that's because I went to catholic school. Anyway, I don't care when decorations are put up, as long as I don't have to participate in festivities until advent. 

My BFs family have a santa claus peeing off their roof using holiday lights each Xmas season. I'm still not sure how to feel about that one.

• Like 6
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Aryanun said:

No photos.

However, I refuse to be shamed or to shame others for putting up their decorations for whatever holiday whenever they do. And the only decorations I disapprove of are those with the constantly moving/switching lights that are a distraction when driving. At night. In a neighborhood with kids.

Do what you will, harm none. Put up your decorations in August and take them down in May. If they make you happy and bring peace and joy, then it's no big deal.

Celebrate life while you can, it's all you've got. Some people don't get to have it all that long.

/endrant

^^^ this

Celebrate what you like, be it Xmas, Yule, Saturnalia, Kwanzaa, solstice, Hanukkah, etc. 

I do wish stores would hold of a little on the music. Or play more variety at least...

• Like 9

3 hours ago, TGP said:

I refuse to put up Christmas decorations until after Thanksgiving.  I generally try not to gripe about people putting them up early, but will freely and loudly complain about businesses doing so.  Has to do with my concerns of increasing commercialization and a low tolerance for the same 10 songs being played everywhere you go.  If the stores had their way the Christmas season would begin on July 5th.

Edit: I have no problem with goofy decorations and rather enjoy them.  

Edited by Sergeant_Crunch
  • Like 9

31 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I'm with @Aryanun. Put up what you like when you like. And I make no exceptions for stores, either. (Not that I spend much time in stores any more.) I have much more problem with people complaining about what other people do.

OK.

I'll note that the specific term dates to the 16th century in English and the use of Chi or Chi-Rho for "Christ" was originally Greek from much earlier than that.

Careful, @Doug Sundseth, we might actually start to agree more. ::P:

RE: Christmas Music

If you really pay attention, most of the music you hear around this time is not specifically Christmas-themed. It's "winter" music. Winter Wonderland, Sleigh Ride, and such. It makes it more palatable when you realize that.

I also listen to other music, such as the TSO albums (not just their Christmas trilogy). Other artists, such as Sting, have also put out albums that are way different than the standard "bubblegum pop" or "Big Band 1950s" fare.

But yes, listening to "Baby It's Cold" or "Santa Baby" ad nauseum can make me irritable.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

11/3: BAH HUMBUG!  I really hate being made aware of Christmas until the middle of December, before that it's offensive as all get out to me, and then I get supremely irritated when those same [redacted] [redacted] who were shoving the holiday down our throats since August can't be bothered to actually celebrate the 12 days of Christmas: here's a hint: the holiday STARTS on the 25th of December...it ends at the Epiphany on the 6th of January, and if you don't celebrate the whole thing, but shove it in my face for months before hand, I consider you a horrible person worthy only of scorn and ridicule...and the leftover fruitcake that was gifted to me in 1987.

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, LordJosh said:

11/3: BAH HUMBUG!  I really hate being made aware of Christmas until the middle of December, before that it's offensive as all get out to me, and then I get supremely irritated when those same [redacted] [redacted] who were shoving the holiday down our throats since August can't be bothered to actually celebrate the 12 days of Christmas: here's a hint: the holiday STARTS on the 25th of December...it ends at the Epiphany on the 6th of January, and if you don't celebrate the whole thing, but shove it in my face for months before hand, I consider you a horrible person worthy only of scorn and ridicule...and the leftover fruitcake that was gifted to me in 1987.

Your holiday may start on Dec. 25 and end 11 days later. Mine doesn't.

Tolerance is a wonderful thing.

• Like 4