Froggy the Great

Randomness XIII: Cognitive Dissonance While You Wait

1 hour ago, Crowley said:

Love it!!

Same. That's... Concerning.

Cookies!!

IMG_20171207_124520.jpg

A lot of those seem home made, which is very nice. 

1 hour ago, Crowley said:

Fresh pot of coffee brewing, then I'm going back to the cookies...

ANd you only had 2 beers at the Open Bar. 

Did any of your co-workers call in? :lol:

Wonder if they do cookie day right after for a reason. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

35 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

https://www.playbuzz.com/bernadetterostenkowski10/which-natural-disaster-are-you?from=TestYourself0

You are the blizzard. You can be cold as hell. At times it seems ice runs in your veins. You are beautiful but can be deadly in a flip of a second.
b0160475-6dfa-4b20-a937-90bfc14eaa06.jpg

c1adcf8f-b8d3-447f-842c-524c4cf3ab74.jpg

You are the volcano. You can be calm, a beautiful sight to behold. However, in another moment you can erupt in a fury that devastates anything in your path.

(Seems Legit)

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Wise Kraken said:

That is ... concerning.  Are these are professional websites where the org has to do something on your behalf as a legitimate part of the job?  Anything personal there? 

Even if nothing personal, and it's a legit business need, passwords themselves can be pretty personal. Before handing them over, I'd change the passwords to all those sites to something you don't use anywhere else, and avoids any password generating algorithms you normally use.  Privacy is something you can't get back.  

The worst thing is that if they really need your password on an on-going basis, it means they have to store it somehow so it can be seen in plaintext somehow, and databases of passwords are a VERY valuable target for bad guys.  Not just for the literal passwords, but to get more insights into how people make them, so they become easier to guess in general.  Storing password proofs with reversible encryption hasn't been a decent practice since ... hrm, well, not sure it ever was. 

There are a number of better ways to do this, from federating through a trusted identity system, to giving you a new identity on the archaic systems (possibly copying over data), to delegating your authority to another identity on the system, to just moving to a more secure authentication system for these systems.  That's off the top of my head, and I bet there are more.  Bleah.  Sorry you have to deal with that.

There isn't any personal information on the system that isn't already publically and easily available. (Name, NPI, etc). 

It is for a legitimate business reason (maintaining Medicare affiliations and such), that I actually have no desire to do myself. (surprisingly)

I generated a completely random password that has no association to my other password algorithms. Demonstrating proper password design. (I did test whether copying and pasting the password from the fillable form worked for the login, so I didn't have to worry about them wasting too much time trying to figure out if it was w@mR2x0iJ)Q or if it was W@mR2xOLJ}q. (Not anything like the random set of characters and numbers I gave them, but representative of the sort of random they were given.) 

And though I am sure there is some sort of system to set up an account manager... sometimes... that is more trouble than what it's worth. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

oh oh...

https://www.playbuzz.com/scarletwitch10/how-would-you-meet-your-untimely-end-as-a-harry-potter-side-character

Just like Ron's poor uncle Bilius, you saw a big black dog and mysteriously passed the next day. By mysteriously passed, we mean that the big black dog was rabid, bit you, and you weren't up to date on your shots and refused to go to the hospital. Sure, it's not the most magical end, but you were damn tough right to the end. Do you think this is how you'd die as an ill-fated Hogwarts extra?

Caught Sight Of The Grim

d7c4b634-d408-4150-8f0a-aa51ab87b758.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

oh oh...

https://www.playbuzz.com/scarletwitch10/how-would-you-meet-your-untimely-end-as-a-harry-potter-side-character

Just like Ron's poor uncle Bilius, you saw a big black dog and mysteriously passed the next day. By mysteriously passed, we mean that the big black dog was rabid, bit you, and you weren't up to date on your shots and refused to go to the hospital. Sure, it's not the most magical end, but you were damn tough right to the end. Do you think this is how you'd die as an ill-fated Hogwarts extra?

Caught Sight Of The Grim

cf8b9d41-5e17-4f84-87a9-a1d7cfc3ca3a.jpg

We'd like to say you were being heroic at the Battle of Hogwarts when you died, and sure, you got a few great shots in at the bad guys, but the honest truth is that you were running for the toilet when you were hit. Just because there's a war raging on around you doesn't mean you stop needing to pee. Do you think this is how you'd die as an ill-fated Hogwarts extra? Talk to us about it in the comments below, and share with your friends to see how they'd die in Harry's world!

:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

So it's been about 24 hours since I got the news I was laid off. And I'm curiously cool about it all.

Of course in the hours that followed, anxiety built up. But after that, good happy things kept happening.

• I went to pick up some orders at the post office. New perfectly fitting Dr. Martens shoes, and my November Reaper order (paints and 25th anniversary Dain Deepaxe).
  • Air Canada is posting me a $250 check for my damaged suitcase.
  • There was a showing of Studio Ghibli's "Howl's Moving Castle", with English sub. As the movie progressed, the pit in my stomach faded.
  • I slept very well.
  • I successfully rebooked my plane ticket to be home for Christmas.
  • No waiting at the blood collection clinic.
  • Appointment for my car tomorrow is confirmed.
  • That arctic grade Canada Goose coat I never really used was finally sold for $500
  • Coffee is good today.

Of course there were *some* bad things:

• I lost my engineer's iron ring. It was already looser than usual for a couple of days and almost lost it several times. Talk about coincidence. It was my late father's, yet at the same time, it wasn't his first, nor mine. Engineers are always losing them (I knew a woman who was on her seventh).
  • Wanted to find a used mocha coffee pot at the thrift store as I was always seeing them. There weren't any this time. And I want a steel one for my induction stove top, not an aluminum one.
  • Lots of traffic today on the main commercial road.
  • The rain is pretty miserable, it's interfering with the TV signal.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 13
  • Sad 1

56 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

The menagerie grows:

image.png.8b40d10234b91be77f37b2f05cd9e4bb.png

Sight of the Wolf, Spirit of the Phoenix, was a Queen in a Past Life, who Transforms into a Tiger.

GEM

So far I’ve gotten wolf, demon, nymph.

This is oddly disturbing as one of my characters was a werewolf nymph in a universe where evil nymphs became succubi.

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

22 minutes ago, Arc 724 said:

You know I use to get in debates about Tech all the time:

• PS vs Xbox
  • Intel vx AMD
  • Windows vs Apple vs Android

And I just stopped one day. It's like it clicked in my head from having debates, listening to them and working as a manager in a GameStop. It all boiled down in my head to, "personal Preference." 

They are all pretty much the same just personal preference dictates which one you will use. 

The whole little post here spawn in my head as I listen to a guy at work get asked if he was an Apple fan boy and his response almost made me laugh out loud (which would have been rude): "No not really, too main stream, I usually like to be on the fringe" He has the latest android smart phone... ... ... ... Then he started in about how apple is super complex and you can't customize as much as android. I did not chime in but in my head i thought, "But what if you want a simple phone, what If I dont want to customize my phone?" That is why I like apple.

Anywho... that was me venting just a bit. In the end I have no "brand loyalty" for anything it's all price, quality and support all of which is subject to my personal preferences too. You have those things better than someone else I move there. Capitalism. END OF LINE. 

I not only have no brand loyalty, I am a brand traitor.  I buy no shirts with logos and for everything else comfort beats all.  I buy no name brand foods, which has proven handy now that food companies have weirdly adopted political stances.  I just want tasty pickles, I don't care what politics my pickles have.  They're freaking pickles.  Right?  Like, I was never one for being brand loyal but now I can't even go buy a pack of Oreos without some nut thinking it's a vote for or against something.  I just want some gawt dang cookies to go with my milk.  So I buy "crème rounds" instead, because they don't even have commercials.  They might not be as tasty but I can get 3 times as many and nobody's gonna hassle me about being a cookie communist or soup Nazi. 

Outside of those adventures through the supermarket looking glass, I've never been one for tie-in merchandise.  Heck, I didn't even own any Star Wars figures like every other kid in my neighbourhood except for Prune Face, and that was because my gramma got him for 50 cents out of a discount bin as a surprise treat.  Never had a Metallica shirt or a Megadeth poster. 

Even with my extreme love for Ral Partha it's only for some 15% of what they've ever made.  Reaper would probably be the best contender, if I were to be pinned as a fanboy of something, because I like pretty much everything Reaper.  But even then I don't go out looking for trouble with Games Workshop people and try to badger them into MSPs. 

I like some stuff, I don't like some other stuff.  I ain't gotta explain why, you ain't gotta explain why.  Hell, maybe I don't even know why.  For the record, I hate all smart phones and only have one (a now elderly Samsung galaxy S3) because it came with my phone package.  I stripped it of all smart functions and it does text and phone calls.  I will use it until it dies and can't be resurrected.  I still have an Xbox 360 and will use that until it dies and then take up knitting or something.  Judging from it's alarming new propensity to freeze up frequently, I suspect it won't be long before some of you, my special friends, get handmade sweaters with three arms all of different lengths. 

Think of it as cosplay and you're dressing up as a Xorn. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Earthquake
Getty
You are the earthquake. You like to shake things up and can get a bit aggressive. When angry you like to turn the world upside down.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

https://www.playbuzz.com/sophiekatz10/what-type-of-ninja-are-you

You are an...Anime Ninja!

These ninjas possess magical powers that you can handle with grace.

You are sensitive and very intelligent.

You are very dedicated and consider Ninja-ism a lifestyle, not just something you do.

You live ninja, you breathe ninja, you are...ninja.

aac76f23-695d-42ea-9342-5bd8777d22bd.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

I not only have no brand loyalty, I am a brand traitor.  I buy no shirts with logos and for everything else comfort beats all.  I buy no name brand foods, which has proven handy now that food companies have weirdly adopted political stances.  I just want tasty pickles, I don't care what politics my pickles have.  They're freaking pickles.  Right?  Like, I was never one for being brand loyal but now I can't even go buy a pack of Oreos without some nut thinking it's a vote for or against something.  I just want some gawt dang cookies to go with my milk.  So I buy "crème rounds" instead, because they don't even have commercials.  They might not be as tasty but I can get 3 times as many and nobody's gonna hassle me about being a cookie communist or soup Nazi. 

Outside of those adventures through the supermarket looking glass, I've never been one for tie-in merchandise.  Heck, I didn't even own any Star Wars figures like every other kid in my neighbourhood except for Prune Face, and that was because my gramma got him for 50 cents out of a discount bin as a surprise treat.  Never had a Metallica shirt or a Megadeth poster. 

Even with my extreme love for Ral Partha it's only for some 15% of what they've ever made.  Reaper would probably be the best contender, if I were to be pinned as a fanboy of something, because I like pretty much everything Reaper.  But even then I don't go out looking for trouble with Games Workshop people and try to badger them into MSPs. 

I like some stuff, I don't like some other stuff.  I ain't gotta explain why, you ain't gotta explain why.  Hell, maybe I don't even know why.  For the record, I hate all smart phones and only have one (a now elderly Samsung galaxy S3) because it came with my phone package.  I stripped it of all smart functions and it does text and phone calls.  I will use it until it dies and can't be resurrected.  I still have an Xbox 360 and will use that until it dies and then take up knitting or something.  Judging from it's alarming new propensity to freeze up frequently, I suspect it won't be long before some of you, my special friends, get handmade sweaters with three arms all of different lengths. 

Think of it as cosplay and you're dressing up as a Xorn. 

You know I have heard of an online store that has no labels on there stuff. Its like "black beans" " Corn" and other things like that. I have thought of using it but never pulled the trigger. I have contemplated exactly what your saying. politics in brands BLAH! nonsense. 

• Like 5