Froggy the Great

Randomness XIII: Cognitive Dissonance While You Wait

On 12/22/2017 at 9:02 PM, knarthex said:

Hey!

When I was active duty military in Europe, EVERYONE ELSE wanted our rations....

After eating the Dutch and German stuff, I know why....

I did a REFORGER with Dutch troops in 1985, where I actually met my doppelganger!

They say that everyone in the world has a "double" mine was / is a Dutch tanker who I swapped uniforms with....

He sat down and stripped out, and I gave him a uniform from my laundry bag...

My LT then started yelling AT HIM, thinking it was me, that we had to get moving.....:poke:

So what you're saying is that you're actually an AWOL Dutch soldier pretending to be knarthex, and the real knarthex is currently living in Europe pretending to be you? :huh:

IMPOSTER!

On 12/23/2017 at 8:36 AM, knarthex said:

It was from the TV show, the man from U.N.C.L.E.

Robert Vaughn and David McCallum as Napoleon Solo and Illya Kuryakin...

That is, technically, how you turn a pistol into a long gun (see the aforementioned Mauser for one of the real-world examples of a pistol designed to be used like that), and the gun from UNCLE would theoretically be fairly accurate out to a considerable distance (for a pistol) with those attachments, if designed and built by an actual gunsmith rather than a propmaster.

Much as in the show, it's the sort of thing you'd use for an assassination or shooting match rather than any sort of serious firefight.

On a different note, the younger folks would better recognize actor David McCallum, who played the Russian spy Ilya, from his later and slightly more famous role on NCIS as Ducky...

On 12/23/2017 at 2:02 PM, Pingo said:

She is totally not evil, but boy, does she look it in combat ... :unsure:

When I first picked up 02504: Bria, Dark Necromancer, I immediately decided to paint her as a redhead (since you never see healthy-looking necromancers), and came up with a backstory that necromancy was actually just the family business, and she mostly used her necromancy to lay the undead back to rest - she was really just a nice, friendly (Chaotic Good) young lady who occasionally called up screaming abominations from the darkest pits of the Hells to smite her enemies... ::D:

13 hours ago, Cyradis said:

House was ~60*F at 11pm. 55*F this morning

I keep my house at 58 F all winter, and only run the heat from around late October until mid-March.

11 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

Very few people stay fools forever.

This is usually because they do something stupid that gets them killed (if we're lucky). Darwinism in action.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 9

58*F is a perfectly good temperature for a brisk hike and an absolutely miserable temperature for my resting state unless I am in an ultra warm sleeping bag. You have earned your moniker, @Mad Jack

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

58*F is a perfectly good temperature for a brisk hike and an absolutely miserable temperature for my resting state unless I am in an ultra warm sleeping bag. You have earned your moniker, @Mad Jack

My house is set at 59 at night in the winter.. maybe I should be mad eldamir..  lol

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

During the day when I am active, I can be okay at low temperatures. Go to sleep? I lose all body heat regulation. Dunno why. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

30 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

As a lifelong New Englander, I spend about a third of my life in a state of mild hypothermia - you adapt to it after awhile.

And, in full disclosure, I generally wear multiple layers of clothing inside as well.

• Like 9

Yep, I'm happy doing that, until I go to sleep. Then it barely matters anymore. I can be very comfortable right until I crawl into bed, under thick blankets, with a nightie.... and then I freeze. More blankets of fabric than the clothing I'd been wearing a few minutes prior to getting into bed. Cloths and sitting on couch? Fine! Sleep? I become a popcyrcle (puns!). 

• Like 7

Happy Crimbo from WV.

I did my family holiday stuff. Or at least most of it. Then I came home and sharpened a knife. Because reasons. Don't ask why. Who are you? Huh? Who are you, Comrade Questions?

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Unruly said:

Happy Crimbo from WV.

I did my family holiday stuff. Or at least most of it. Then I came home and sharpened a knife. Because reasons. Don't ask why. Who are you? Huh? Who are you, Comrade Questions?

Yeah, kinda, I am - at least for a few more days :poke:

Soooo.... is the knife sharp now? Sufficiently stabby and slicey? 

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, Unruly said:

Happy Crimbo from WV.

No reason ever to question why somebody would sharpen a knife.  A dull tool tool is  a dangerous tool, and a dull knife can injure you faster and more painfully than a sharp one nearly every time a slip occurs.

Unless that is, it's so dull its most utilitarian function is as a butter or jam spreader.

GEM

• Like 7

Christmas Eve dinner with 10 adults... Fine.

Add in five children aged 3-10 years old yelling, shouting, screaming, and "playing" musical instruments for 4 hours...

I don't remember what quiet sounds like anymore. :wacko:

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 4

Merry Christmas to all, or the equivalent celebration for those who do not celebrate Christmas.

May I wish you all the blessings of the season be yours to claim and may you be blessed with good food and good family and/or friends to celebrate with.

Currently waiting for the grand-kidlets to drop off to sleep so the elves perpetrating this years version of The Adult Conspiracy may complete their work and retire to a snug bed till the early hours of the morning.

GEM

• Like 10

Merry Christmas to everyone.  Spent most of the day performing church services (when Christmas eve falls on advent 4 the day becomes very long for the choir).  Fortunately I got the wrapping done last night so to bed I go...

For those who like cold house temperatures, I salute you!  I tend to wear sweaters when the temp drops below 70.  By 50 I'm wearing heavy winter coats and by 30 I'm happiest in my shearling bomber jacket.  

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Cyradis said:

During the day when I am active, I can be okay at low temperatures. Go to sleep? I lose all body heat regulation. Dunno why. 

Oh me too! I can't sleep in a cold room. For one thing, I need plenty of blankets on top of me. And the if the air in the room is too cool I sleep very fitfully. 

Like, I'm sure I'd make it work if I had to sleep outdoors, but I really like a nice snug bedroom.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Zink said:

Oh, @Glitterwolf, another quiz for you.

https://www.playbuzz.com/tidewaterrenaissancefightingarts10/hema-quiz-what-melee-weapon-would-you-use-on-a-medieval-renaissance-battlefield

I got partisan which is kind of what I would've liked for a primary weapon. Something versatile and with some reach but not too unwieldy. Need a good sword or warhammer as a backup weapon though.

Spear

image.png.5433aa5d6702261518f43221cbc7ddfc.png

Congratulations, you got the Spear!

Spears are one of the oldest and most successful weapons ever invented, seeing great use across all cultures from the Stone Age until the Musket-with-Bayonet merged gun and spear into one weapon.

Spears are truly phenomenal weapons, having high reach (often 6 feet to 9 feet in length), great thrusting power, great leverage, and tremendous nimbleness. Spears can thrust, feint, and change direction extremely quickly, making them deceptive and very difficult to fight. Since it is difficult to stab into the tiny gaps of full plate armor from so far away, spears designed for armored fighting tend to be shorter.

Historical manuals that teach spear are legion, especially when you consider that the Quarterstaff is just a spear without a spearhead. Manuals include those of Fiore dei' Liberi, Filippo Vadi (pictured here), Joachim Meyer, Paulus Hector Mair, Achille Marozzo, George Silver, etc.

As dominating as spears often are, they do have a few weaknesses: they cut poorly, the shaft can be broken after parrying too many powerful cuts, they have no hand protection, and enemies can grab the shaft of your spear. Watch out for that!

6 hours ago, knarthex said:

why did you ruin good bacon with green beans?

Greens in Meat are very tasty!

sperziebonen-in-spek-3.jpg.f0000481122d76e04813c596a425d499.jpg

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 9