Froggy the Great

Randomness XIII: Cognitive Dissonance While You Wait

51 minutes ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

In other news, you get a LOT of witches running bakeries? Only place I ever saw that trope was Practical Magic, and that's just because the girl I was with wanted to see it.

About a gazillion "Cozy" magical mysteries.

The things are a plague.

But Amazon keeps sending me free ones on the Fire, so I keep trying them. <_<

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Bah!

3 episodes in to my new Steven Universe set, and my Blu-ray player died.

Currently trying to find a cheap, basic one but it's surprisingly difficult.

And they no longer seem to make blu-ray players with built in multi-region DVD capability, so if I ever want to watch those 100 or so American DVDs I own I'm going to have to buy them their own DVD player.

I thought technology was supposed to simplify things?

• Sad 5

19 minutes ago, aku-chan said:

Bah!

3 episodes in to my new Steven Universe set, and my Blu-ray player died.

Currently trying to find a cheap, basic one but it's surprisingly difficult.

And they no longer seem to make blu-ray players with built in multi-region DVD capability, so if I ever want to watch those 100 or so American DVDs I own I'm going to have to buy them their own DVD player.

I thought technology was supposed to simplify things?

Not when it comes to copyright. I was amazed when I looked for a bluray player last year and couldn't find one for less than $60 still. The tech is a minimum of 10 years old now, but because of the licensing fees for it the machines are still stupid expensive. I can go buy a plain DVD player for like $10-15. VHS players were the same way. I remember when the PS3 came out a big selling point was that it had a bluray player built in, and despite the fact that the console cost $600 it was actually on par with other bluray players. But on top of being a bluray player, it also played games and could browse the internet, so it was a slam dunk proposition for just about anyone wanting a bluray player. And even though a PS3 still costs like $200, it's still almost worth it to buy one just for watching blurays on.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

Double posting because I'm excited!

Acquired: $5,900 for my car! The total settlement finally went through! That means that tomorrow I'm gonna be going car shopping! I've got my preapproved loan on standby, I've got an offer from another dealership that's very fair, and I'm going to try my luck with the local dealership and Honda financing. If the local dealership can meet the other dealer's price, and Honda financing can meet or exceed the APR of my preapproved loan, then I'm going to be going home tomorrow with a new car.

But because I used the USAA car buying service for my offer from the other dealer, if I buy from the other dealer I get a better loan rate since the loan is also through USAA, due to a special they have. Which means that Honda financing is going to have to beat that lower rate. They've got a special financing offer of 1.9% for qualified buyers going on right now, so if I can get that then it's a done deal. The best I can get with USAA and going through their car buying service is a 3.09%, with the worst(if I don't buy from the dealer I got the offer from) being a 3.59%. So anything in the 1.9-2.9% range is a win.

I wish my credit score was better, but literally everything that those credit monitoring places say I can do to improve my score are things like "have a longer credit history," which I can't do without time passing, and "take out a mortgage," which I don't need or want to do. So I'm stuck with a mid-700s, which is good, but if it was in the high 700's or an 800+ I'd be killing it.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

Watched Die Hard on Christmas eve. I don't think I'd seen it since 1990 or so; I had it on VHS, back in the day, and saw it many times... but Christmas Eve was the first time I'd seen it this century. It has not aged well, largely due, I think, to 9/11. 

In particular: McClane makes it to the roof with his stolen radio, switches to the emergency frequency, and begins calling mayday -- one of several international distress calls -- and explains that terrorists have attacked Nakatomi Plaza and are holding hostages. The response from the police is "Quit fooling around, get off the emergency frequency, this frequency is reserved for emergencies, if you have a REAL emergency, go to a phone and call 911."

This response was believable in 1988. It'd be unthinkable now.

While McClane argues, someone opens up on him with an automatic weapon, which is heard by the police operator. Her response is to contact a beat cop in a car and say, "Do a drive by of Nakatomi Plaza, will you? Some joker says we got terrorists over there."

In 1988, this was tense and frightening. Nowadays, it's on the edge of comical.

Pretty sure it was meant to border on comical in 1988 as well, if only to emphasize the ineptitude of the film’s LAPD (see also Deputy Chief of Police Dwayne T. Robinson and the shot where a SWAT team member runs in to a thorny bush and says “ow!”).

At least, I remember finding it rather comical back then...:unsure:

Edited by Sophie was taken
  • Like 4

The SWAT guy and Dwayne T. definitely were intended to be comical. The 911 response not so much, I think, though there is some humor in the interaction between McClane and the dispatcher. It was indeed very much a different time--one conceivably could laugh off such a call as the drunken antics arising from an office Christmas party. Not as reasonable within the current Zeitgeist. Doesn't detract for me, tbh, but I hold it to be the greatest action movie ever made so idk.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

Mr. Thorne was planning to go in this morning. We got up around five AM, like you do, and it was -5 (Celsius, I think; he doesn't think in Farenheit), and I said, 'probably not happening'. He went and looked, and sez to me, he sez; 'The Thorne speaks wisdom' - and we both went back to sleep.

It hadn't warmed much by the time I was awake enough to feed chickens; there was a /crust/. I broke through. The chickens, not so much....

Don't think Mr. Thorne was talking in Celsius. those who understand proper temperature measurements, unless they are from someplace tropical, consider that "might want more than a hoodie" weather. Not "go back to bed, it's too cold" weather.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ShadowRaven said:

Don't think Mr. Thorne was talking in Celsius. those who understand proper temperature measurements, unless they are from someplace tropical, consider that "might want more than a hoodie" weather. Not "go back to bed, it's too cold" weather.

Heh, no. Mr. Thorne is German; he's notoriously hard to get a coat on, even when it's as cold as it was; and he said it was actually -7. To which I said, 'six of one ..' and he laughed.

The trick wasn't 'it's too cold'. The trick was 'road is made of ICE' - which, out here, no one knows how to drive on (there was some mention of freezing fog, too..). And he's not driving at night, so I would have been driving. And /I never learned how to drive on this stuff/. So .. yah. Not 'it's too cold'. It wouldn't even have been too cold for me; I own a good coat and boots...

The first hour or so of snow yesterday.. or the day before? The day before - was marked be no less than three people getting stuck somewhere. I got a picture of one; he had his truck /nose first/ in the ditch. No idea how he managed. People really don't know what to do with this crap.

• Like 9

5 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Megan's contribution to our holiday movies and shows - Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas.

A show that I had forgotten all about, and thoroughly enjoyed seeing again.

Despite an absolute loathing for nearly all Christmas shows (the original ones from my childhood get cut a certain amount of slack as long as I'm not constantly bombarded with them repeatedly throughout the season), that's one of the small handful of them that I actually have a soft spot for.

6 hours ago, Pingo said:

(I ask because I sometimes ask people who move to my climate from places like California or Georgia whether they have a good coat and sometimes they say yes and sometimes what they mean when they say that is that they have a wool blazer, and then they have to be educated.)

I've had people move here from other places in the middle of summer, and the first thing I did was buy them an ice scraper and inform them that it was never to leave the trunk of their car no matter what time of year it was.

Jack is going to be mostly offline for the rest of the week...

Jack has somehow managed to bork up his right wrist - mostly due to having spent about thirty hours playing Thief in the past couple of days, and having fallen asleep for several hours on another occasion in his puter chair with his arm up on the sideboard of his puter desk where he has his mouse (which is about four inches higher than the slide-out keyboard thing) and his hand still on the mouse.

And so Jack's wrist hurts like an elf whenever he flexes it too much, or when he's using the mouse, or when he tries to grab anything with any force.

Thus he'll be trying to stay offline for a couple days.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 2
  • Sad 7

1 hour ago, Sylverthorne said:

Heh, no. Mr. Thorne is German; he's notoriously hard to get a coat on, even when it's as cold as it was; and he said it was actually -7. To which I said, 'six of one ..' and he laughed.

The trick wasn't 'it's too cold'. The trick was 'road is made of ICE' - which, out here, no one knows how to drive on (there was some mention of freezing fog, too..). And he's not driving at night, so I would have been driving. And /I never learned how to drive on this stuff/. So .. yah. Not 'it's too cold'. It wouldn't even have been too cold for me; I own a good coat and boots...

The first hour or so of snow yesterday.. or the day before? The day before - was marked be no less than three people getting stuck somewhere. I got a picture of one; he had his truck /nose first/ in the ditch. No idea how he managed. People really don't know what to do with this crap.

aaaah, icy roads. Now that makes perfect sense. Those are totally made of "screw it, I'm going back to bed" 

• Like 8

W00t, acceptance for a couple more D&D poems: "Arcane" and "Titan."

So... I'm getting published a poem titled after big, blue fantasy space merchants and including a reference to a Spelljammer ship. I am living the dream.

Or some dream.

Some rather odd dream.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

What's the temperature? On a scale of one to brass monkey, how cold is it?

Right now it's 'wait, is that ice?'

This week it's supposed to drop below 'brass monkey' right to 'that funky monkey'.

• Like 6
  • Sad 3