Froggy the Great

Randomness XIII: Cognitive Dissonance While You Wait

Where I live we had to get nearly 60 centimeters of snow in a single storm before they called a snow day.

There hadn’t been one in twelve years. The scoolchildren of my city (including my own) had never seen a snow day before.

• Like 6

Ahhh I just found out I won a nail art contest I entered in November!!! I'm dancing around work right now!

For the interested my entry is under the spoiler:

Spoiler

IMG_20171204_153239_789-742x841.thumb.jpg.b2cb727f4a0f6a17b6e0fe18eeca1af8.jpg

Edited by Fire_Eyes
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 4

4 minutes ago, Fire_Eyes said:

Ahhh I just found out I won a nail art contest I entered in November!!! I'm dancing around work right now!

Hide contents

image.png.517dac69850acac8409517fb0579e8cd.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Fire_Eyes said:

Hide contents

Conga Rats!  Also, how long are those?  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Erifnogard said:

Conga Rats!  Also, how long are those?  

Probably about 3-4 inches. I bought the longest nail tips I could for the competition. Definitely not something I would put on an actual client :p

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

From where  and whom did the term "wintery mix" get foisted onto us? Because I don't remember this existing prior to 2013 or so and now everytime I hear it I expect to small bags of seasonal snackfoods with Peanuts characters on them dropping from the skies. 

We have gotten "wintery mix" down here for as long as I can remember.

8 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

WOOF has hit most of it's targets.

Still waiting for confirmation on two more..

Eldest loved the Stroopwaffels, youngest didn't. The wafers were awesome. Youngest took the fakewhite chocolate.

1 hour ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

So Badger Airbrush is running a one day 54th anniversary sale today.  I already have a Krome, and a Patriot, but the chance to get any airbrush for $54 is too tempting.  Anyone have any opinions on the Sotar?

Due to commerce I won't post a link but I saw it on their FB page.  There are specific things you have to do to get the offer (send an email) so if anyone doewn't have FB and wants more info, feel free to PM me.

I got in on it. Now need to figure out how to do the PayPal since PayPal hates me right now.

1 hour ago, eldamir said:

What's a good beginner airbrush from their line? 

Have never airbrushed before, but for $54, maybe I can give it a go....

Aaron Lovejoy recommended the Patriot 105 to me.

28 minutes ago, Fire_Eyes said:

Hide contents

That's amazing!

• Like 4

UB3R-N3RD !!!

VELKOMEN TILBAKKE !!

and you don't need to read Norwegian to uderstand the Above.

Missed you my friend.

Jay

• Like 5

My head hurts. 

Last night my mom called about to cancel her upcoming visit, again, because of her and her weird affiliation with canines (can't find a dogsitter). Queue meltdown over mom ditching daughter for dogs again and making me feel like broccoli. Not enough sleep. Got up early for a meeting. Other person never showed. Mom may have found a dogsitter today... but yeah, meltdown already happened. No idea really how to tell her that she needs to stop jerking me around and treating me second to the critters. Really doesn't help the imposter syndrome which every grad student seems to come down with... without help of parents. 

MORE TEA NEEDED. 

But hey, started watching Westworld with friends last night, and taught his girlfriend how to paint - gave her a mousling. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 6

snow seems to have stopped or at least slowed down. I guess I ought to clear the car so I don't need to do it in the morning.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

snow seems to have stopped or at least slowed down. I guess I ought to clear the car so I don't need to do it in the morning.

It's a trap!!

As soon as you do that, it'll start snowing again!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

15 hours ago, Unruly said:

You must absolutely loathe Legos then.

But I understand. Especially when it comes to western style vehicle models. They always look so simple. Everything is meant to be glued into a fixed position, they're never supplied in anything other than plain white plastic so painting is absolutely required, and when it's all said and done they just look so static. At least with my Gundam models I can open hatches, pose them, they don't require paint if I don't want to paint them, etc.

Yeah, once they started pretty much releasing nothing but movie-licensed tie-in sets and charging ridiculous prices for them, I kinda lost interest in LEGOS... I mean, I love them as a concept and as a toy, and the movie tie-in's have led to some hella cool pieces in useful colors, but they've gotten to the point of being one of those Christmas-and-Birthday things - it's damn near impossible for a kid to actually save up enough money on their own to buy any of the big sets anymore. It's become something that adults play with and collect.

As far as the Gundams, et.al., with their huge size, and hundred-plus pieces and metal and rubber parts, and being poseable and all, I can understand paying some good money for one, but $30 for a basic snap-together model of a pick-up truck with two sprues of parts, four rubber tires and a clear windshield?

12 hours ago, redambrosia said:

I was thinking the same thing :lol: 

The past three christmases my mom has given me jewelry that comes in little drawstring bags with elephants on them.@Green Eyed Monster

Bags with little elephants? They weren't from Ivory Ella, were they?

6 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

Among my dicebags is a vinyl TSR bag someone gave me, but it lacks the panache of a Waldenbooks/TSR dice bag. I love that bag. It speaks to me. It recalls the Days of Empire. I miss TSR, and I MISS Waldenbooks.

Up until sometime around 1995 when I lost my wallet, I still had my Waldenbooks Otherworlds club membership card...

6 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

3 inches of snow have fallen so far.  I suppose it's time to try and attempt that training for work now.  Let's see if the site wants to play.

5 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

I wonder if the residents of Rhode Island have started sacrificing people to the blizzard of 78 yet.

Those 13-14 inches they promised us so far seem to have been "internet inches", lol...

Unless, of course, we've actually gotten that much snow, but it's all just still swirling around up in the air because of the horrendous hurricane-level windstorm accompanying it...

4 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

so... if I am understanding you all properly, there is a market for dice gambesons to place inside the chainmail dice bags...

If you're wrapping chainmail around ANYTHING you don't want scratched or chipped, it's an absolute necessity to have some sort of lining...

2 hours ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

IA! IA!

LOLCthulhu-1.jpg.2f6d3a53805b18486115c0f9e401ebad.jpg

45 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

No idea really how to tell her that she needs to stop jerking me around and treating me second to the critters.

Exactly as you said it right there, and in no uncertain terms. Personally, I'd ask her, between you and the furbaby, which one of you is actually her child?

Or get a pet rock and then cancel on her the next time she wants you to do something for her because you can't find a sitter.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Been playing the Pathfinder card game all evening.

Don't think I'm doing it right, my Fighter has been picking locks and shooting bandits with crossbows, but I had fun.

And now I own two games, I'm officially a tabletop gamer! Yay!

• Like 9
  • Haha 5