Froggy the Great

Randomness XIII: Cognitive Dissonance While You Wait

On 1/4/2018 at 10:22 AM, Dr.Bedlam said:

And I dunno why, but the most amazing women in my life have always come around after a different woman has painfully jerked me around. I have no idea if this is just me, or what.

In my case, the woman that was in my life decided that another woman needed me more than she did.

They actually talked about it, before Jackie told me that Megan needed me more than she did, and why. (Jackie being of the opinion that our relationship, while very comfortable and long lasting, wasn't going anywhere - we might well have the same relationship ten years down the road, while Megan was looking for something more - and I am the marrying kind, while Jackie isn't.)

So, I can't say that I was jerked around, more passed down. ::P:

The Auld Grump - and I will admit, Megan and I got to the marrying stage pretty quick - but I had been with Jackie for more than twenty years.

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

DR. Wolf's Consult:

You will take painkillers, eat chicken soup and feel good enough to have fun for the weekend.

On Monday you will collapse and call in sick.

You wil feel better after a few days,..

That sounds like a good plan, I will give it a shot.

• Like 8

I have discovered that Megan and I have very different ways of viewing groceries.

Megan looks at the groceries and sees food.

I look at the groceries and see ingredients.

Which means that Megan will take the fewest steps needed to turn the groceries into a meal.

Give Megan bread and ground beef, and she will make hamburgers. Making meatloaf would not even cross her mind. (Yesterday I made lazy meatloaf - two eggs, some barbecue sauce, a package of stuffing that we didn't use for the holidays, and two pounds of ground beef. Normally I am a bit more creative - to the point where I am not sure that I have ever used a written recipe for meatloaf as listed.)

Pretty sure she has picked up her mum's (non)cooking habits. ::P: (I can pinpoint the exact moment when her mum started approving of me as a boyfriend... it involved food.)

She's starting to make progress though - and can now look at a can of Campbell's cream of mushroom soup as something other than soup.

The Auld Grump - I remember my mom saying that a man could only cook with one hand - they needed the other hand to hold the box so they could read the instruction. My mom was... a creatively awful cook.

• Like 11

15 hours ago, OneBoot said:

Note to self: Page 400

I'm still getting back into the swing of things after returning from a slightly disorienting Christmas break (disorienting mostly in good ways). The best part was definitely getting to hold and cuddle my newest NieceBoot and NephBoot (both are 1.5 months or less), and having them fall asleep on me. :wub::wub: :wub: 

What's going on right now: I made a resolution to put paint on things every day (and no, @Pezler the Polychromatic, my nails don't count ::P:), and I will be documenting my daily adventures in a blog I just started! https://oneboottothehead.blogspot.com/  The framework is still under construction, but the progress posts are there. :bday:  I considered trying to figure out how to do a WIP thread, but unfortunately couldn't think of a tidy way of doing so.

Another thing that is going on right now: MrBoot accidentally made purple soup. It tastes fine, it's just...very purple. I keep laughing every time I look at it, I can't help myself. :lol: Apparently that's what happens when you put most of a purple cabbage and a whole purple onion in a pot of soup! :lol:

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Beets will do the same thing.

There's a whole area of cookery involving using various food items to alter the color of a dish, Saffron Rice being one of the better know ones.

GEM

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Unruly said:

Woodworking is not a cheap thing to get into. Tools, even "cheap" ones, are expensive...

Check out a Shopsmith.

My Grandfather had one and I learned basic woodworking on his Model ER-10.

I recently picked up a much used one {Mark 5 [their long term most popular model] newer that the machine I learned on}  floating in the Bay of E for about the cost of a decent table saw.

I now have not just a table saw, but a large diameter disc sander, a lathe, and a drill press that will work either in a vertical or horizontal position.

There are a ton of accessories available and stuff turns up online all the time.

The machines are so well built that a well cared for machine built 40 years ago is still a precision woodworking machine.  If service or repairs are needed the company has depots in several locations and there are in addition a number of private services for whatever heavy maintenance you may need.

If you do decide to go that route, try to find a machine built from 85 on or that has had the double bearing quill retrofit applied.  This reduced the runout from 0.005 to 0.001 inch at full extension of the quill.

PM me if you have any questions.

GEM

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Flit said:

I considered getting India or other ink from the craft store. I didn’t for a couple of reasons 1) wasn’t expecting the difficulties I encountered with the LGSs and I had already  visited the craft store before visiting the second LGS and I didn’t want to go back to the craft store. I was tired by this time and it would have involved going halfway across town again at rush hour. And 2) wasn’t sure of the properties of craft store inks. Although Simple Green and/ or isopropyl alcohol can get just about anything off a mini.

I've used the Bombay line of inks for a long time for various crafty projects.

Haven't tried any of them on Bonesium as of yet.

Can be thinned with rubbing alcohol for use as washes, etc.

GEM

6 hours ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

neon flames over plaid perhaps.

A Bright Plaid [along the lines of Buchanan] , not one of the subdued hunting plaids.

GEM

• Like 4

Lookout Mountain! 

@Dr.Bedlam

I was hiking around on a mountain with the Spawn.  and came across Buffalo Bills grave. 

the employees denied in laboratories in the basement.  

But one admitted to something called the Vault. 

and another referred to rooms for "employees"  located under the building. 

they seemed to have a lot of staff. 

and the there was this large reinforced steel door....

the truth is out there. 

vault.jpg

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 9

I just informed my wife that I am reserving August 30 through September 2nd to be in Denton, Texas [for those who aren't already aware these are the just announced dates for Reapercon].

When it finally sunk in what I was saying her eyes lit up as Denton is nearby to some of the ladies she has served with in the past as an International Officer for the IALAPM, the ladies uniformed branch of our fraternal order. ::):::):::):

"Maybe I'll go with you" she exclaimed.  "That way I can see my friends in Texas."

The only hitch is, we will be moving in the September to October timeframe, and not just a cross town move but Interstate.

I do hope ReaperRon can negotiate a decent hotel rate as this is Labor Day Weekend, a weekend where hotels usually fill up at near their maximum rates.

GEM

7 minutes ago, Evilhalfling said:

Lookout Mountain! 

@Dr.Bedlam

I was hiking around on a mountain with the Spawn.  and came across Buffalo Bills grave. 

the employees denied in laboratories in the basement.  

But one admitted to something called the Vault. 

and another referred to rooms for "employees"  located under the building. 

they seemed to have a lot of staff. 

and the there was this large reinforced steel door....

the truth is out there. 

vault.jpg

Been there.

It is quite a large complex what with the museum and all.

Easily could hide the secret entrance to the "nefarious" Dr. Bedlam's not so secret lair.

Hint:  Look for ventilation outlets for subterranean spaces.

GEM

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Cyradis said:

I need to renew my passport. I had put my old passport Somewhere Safe. Naturally I can't find it - and it makes things a LOT easier for renewal if you have the old one. I did however find $30 squirreled away in my dresser, so that was kinda cool. 

Don't let anyone ever tell you the Passport Fairy isn't real...

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

While perusing the movies available on demand, I realized that I never watched Tremors.  Considering that it was such a staple of 90's cable, I'm amazed that I was able to avoid it.

Situation has been rectified.  Maybe I should paint something now.

• Like 10

My adviser and I think I'm on track to do a master's thesis. A committee member thinks I can do a non-thesis project for the master's (and need to take two more classes), and a publication, but not a thesis with what we've been doing. Son of a broccoli. Gosh darnit. Yeah, I checked other theses - what I have in mind is pretty similar. Dunno what's up with that committee member :angry:

• Like 2
  • Confused 5

1 minute ago, Cyradis said:

My adviser and I think I'm on track to do a master's thesis. A committee member thinks I can do a non-thesis project for the master's (and need to take two more classes), and a publication, but not a thesis with what we've been doing. Son of a broccoli. Gosh darnit. Yeah, I checked other theses - what I have in mind is pretty similar. Dunno what's up with that committee member :angry:

And what, he asks, second level agenda is the one committee member attempting to advance?

GEM

• Like 2