Froggy the Great

Randomness XIII: Cognitive Dissonance While You Wait

And seriously, if Broccolibutt Fartface Ex Officemate can do a master's, so can I. He was a bloody idiot, in addition to being a misogynistic pig.

3 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

And what, he asks, second level agenda is the one committee member attempting to advance?

GEM

^I don't really know. We were planning to publish the material anyway, with that committee member's name on it too - either way he gets some credit. 

• Confused 5

2 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Check out a Shopsmith.

My Grandfather had one and I learned basic woodworking on his Model ER-10.

I recently picked up a much used one {Mark 5 [their long term most popular model] newer that the machine I learned on}  floating in the Bay of E for about the cost of a decent table saw.

I now have not just a table saw, but a large diameter disc sander, a lathe, and a drill press that will work either in a vertical or horizontal position.

There are a ton of accessories available and stuff turns up online all the time.

The machines are so well built that a well cared for machine built 40 years ago is still a precision woodworking machine.  If service or repairs are needed the company has depots in several locations and there are in addition a number of private services for whatever heavy maintenance you may need.

If you do decide to go that route, try to find a machine built from 85 on or that has had the double bearing quill retrofit applied.  This reduced the runout from 0.005 to 0.001 inch at full extension of the quill.

PM me if you have any questions.

GEM

Yea, those look a bit complicated. I mean, it looks like it's a super useful tool, and it does have a lot of the functions I'm trying to get tools for, but it looks complicated.

6 hours ago, Zink said:

I know. It took me way to many years to buy a small handful of useful tools for woodworking. I don't have much but at least I can do a few things that aren't embarrassing to look at. Mostly I use them for hobby stuff and the occasional home repair. I don't really do woodworking in itself. On the farm I got by for 20 years with a chainsaw, 16 lb sledge hammer, crowbar and some smaller hammers. Hard to do more delicate work with those.

Yea, I'm honestly thinking of trying to get a set of chisels, a miter box, a decent backsaw, a decent crosscut saw, and a hand plane. I already have a circular saw I can use for making long rip cuts, and all of those tools will give me what I need to do basic dovetails and to make small boxes and the like. Combine it with a drill and my doweling jig, and I can make a desk with dovetailed drawers on plain wood guides...

• Like 6

Going to try to get outta my 2-month painting funk this weekend. 

• Like 15

Just now, ub3r_n3rd said:

My friend had a motto for general purposes that you may enjoy. 

"Beat it with a stick". 

When grumpy and in a funk? Grab a stick and smack it on the ground. Smack it on your textbook. Whatever. Just beat something with a stick. 

I may have to go outside and smack a stick into the ground. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Would that be the kind involving filing cabinets or the kind with the incense and singing?

GEM

Both. LOL

• Like 5

Just now, Cyradis said:

My friend had a motto for general purposes that you may enjoy. 

"Beat it with a stick". 

When grumpy and in a funk? Grab a stick and smack it on the ground. Smack it on your textbook. Whatever. Just beat something with a stick. 

I may have to go outside and smack a stick into the ground. 

Some was post-con cool down, some was busy holiday stuff, and some just lack of mojo/desire. So I need to work on something fun and simple on Sunday (tomorrow is D&D game day). 

• Like 8

15 hours ago, Unruly said:

Woodworking is not a cheap thing to get into. Tools, even "cheap" ones, are expensive...

The list of Craig will likely be your friend, as well as looking for estate sales that list tools, as Adam Savage points out in the "Where to find tools" episode of "still untitled" about a third of any lot of tools you buy will be decent, but you can get a bunch of tools cheaply doing this. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Arc 724 said:

End of the day and I feel depressed. ::(:

Boo... 

Here, maybe this will help!

41 minutes ago, ub3r_n3rd said:

DO IT!

Just paint SOMETHING! Block in some colors on a bones monster... something!!

Picked up dog food after getting home, then did some painting of yetis while waiting for my bride to get home. Then we had dinner at the local italian place, which we've managed to miss going to since we've lived here. It was yummy, and I am very full. I expect we'll be back. Then stopped by the coop to pick up fixings for lunch/dinner this weekend. Now, aside from walking the dogs, there is no reason to leave the house at all this weekend!!

Speaking of, it's time to walk the dogs... 

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

Labor Day weekend? That's some rough scheduling.

I was trying to talk my buddy into hitting the whatchamacallit big con, but he's wanting to save it for another year (I think I may go ahead without him this year). He was wanting to do Reapercon instead. I lulzed a little.

He's a good dude. Nothing like me. Y'all'd like him. Keep telling him to post here but he never gets here for some reason.

Corgis fill me with a sense of emptiness and loss now. I wish I could send my Vali away somewhere to live a happier life.

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, Unruly said:

Yea, those look a bit complicated. I mean, it looks like it's a super useful tool, and it does have a lot of the functions I'm trying to get tools for, but it looks complicated.

Yea, I'm honestly thinking of trying to get a set of chisels, a miter box, a decent backsaw, a decent crosscut saw, and a hand plane. I already have a circular saw I can use for making long rip cuts, and all of those tools will give me what I need to do basic dovetails and to make small boxes and the like. Combine it with a drill and my doweling jig, and I can make a desk with dovetailed drawers on plain wood guides...

It looks complicated but the setups are not that difficult to master.

The basic design is the same machine that has been produced since shortly after WWII.

With the current model [in production since the mid 1950s] having taken the original machine-art-decoish casting designs and given them a sleeker and easier to manufacture look.  Functionally, the machines are the same but with refinements that add to the ease of use and the utility of the whole setup.

The whole setup only occupies about twice the footprint of my two burner with side tables barbecue.

GEM

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Boo... 

Here, maybe this will help!

Spoiler

YESSSSS!!! This is marvelous. THANK YOU. ::):

10 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Somehow I have this image of a sort of Cargo Cult worshiping filing cabinets. :wacko::blink::wacko:

Confused?

You-betcha.

GEM

Hahah, I dunno but I have new clever idea..... muhahaha

• Like 9

Ok, so Mordor army commanders - we have the Nazgul, the Mouth of Sauron, Gothmog, and who else?  I could use Smaug if I postulate a different ending to The Hobbit wherein Bilbo doesn't get eaten but does have to be carried/dragged home, and never manages to regrow his eyebrows...

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:
8 hours ago, Arc 724 said:

I like clerical work. ::):

Would that be the kind involving filing cabinets or the kind with the incense and singing?

GEM

1506466_757509977636653_4018731948612936854_n.jpg.1495e241f1b24fe0998b34371a22cfc3.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 14

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

Corgis fill me with a sense of emptiness and loss now. I wish I could send my Vali away somewhere to live a happier life.

Hm. My girls were about the biggest thing keeping me sane when my ex left me. They were the only thing I fought tooth and nail for in the aftermath.

IMG_20171231_182647_411.thumb.jpg.98a0287374a82a37f49462bdaa1371bd.jpg

Still very full from dinner... I might have eaten too much...

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1