Froggy the Great

Randomness XIII: Cognitive Dissonance While You Wait

9 hours ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

Further confirmation of my theory on the relation between dragons and housecats!

Image result for smaug rankin bass

We have no idea what you're talking about.  And demand a golden mousy.

• Like 5
  • Haha 11

16 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

The instructions and paint selection were precisely why I bought them!  I've read a lot of good reviews, and while some of the local game stores do offer painting lessons at no charge (group drop in kind of thing, with some apparently great painters as teachers), there's something comforting about working on the basics at home first...  Probably has to do with Canadian winters I suspect :p

I also rather like that they come with the storage case and a few minis to work on ^_^

It's going to be several nights of fun I suspect, and will help offset the combined joy and worry about the dragon in the mail (joy because it will be my biggest mini, worry because it's big and I don't have much in ether way of painting skills developed so far). 

Feel free to join in on the hangouts too. We're a friendly crazy bunch. 

The pistol cases are great. I've got one at work that I use to paint for 10-15 minutes every day at lunch. 

And don't worry about the dragon, or being good enough. An okay painted dragon is better than an unpainted dragon every time!!

• Like 11

12 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

I BAKED A CAKE!

... yes, I did. A lemon cake, with lemon. And lemon glaze.

It is also made of dragon, because I have a pan. *chortles* I has a happy. Mr. Thorne has a happy. It is good.

Lemon cake is my favorite and I really should get one of those pans for game day.

• Like 6

Off to game day. The GM said to bring all my vampires, including the half-painted ones. I’m sure it’ll be fine. See y’all later!

• Like 7
  • Haha 9

Well I gave my players the option to not show up on account of walking/busing/biking in this weather is suicidal and they're all showing up anyway. Am I a better GM than I thought? Or are their lives that dull?

• Like 10
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, Unruly said:

Did you invent a combustible lemon? Did you burn life's house down? With the lemons?

5 hours ago, Crowley said:

You know, this could work in my 5e game... Maybe not a gold dragon, but... hmm...

Glad to be of assistance!

.... I don't know what I did, and I can't fix it.

But no, not with fire. Acid, now... citrus /does/ have some of those properties. So, not burn down.... exactly.. Mwehahhaaaa!

12 minutes ago, SparrowMarie said:

Lemon cake is my favorite and I really should get one of those pans for game day.

Hee. You should. It's a fun pan, but it does have a lot of crevices. Be sure to grease it very carefully, before filling with batter.

2 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

Well I gave my players the option to not show up on account of walking/busing/biking in this weather is suicidal and they're all showing up anyway. Am I a better GM than I thought? Or are their lives that dull?

Mebbe they just wanna game that badly.

We're hosting Saturday game here, on account of capon, which is fun and a little stressful. This is the first chance I've had to sit down since breakfast!

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

You brought something into their lives that they enjoy so much that they're willing to brave the weather to experience it. Take pride in that.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, Sylverthorne said:

Hee. You should. It's a fun pan, but it does have a lot of crevices. Be sure to grease it very carefully, before filling with batter.

It indeed looks like it need copious amounts greasing. I think the only reason I haven't gotten one yet is that I am not the baker in our group, despite having gone to pastry school. The baker in the group actually owns her own bakery so we get to be test subjects and it saves me from having to transport cake to Seattle.

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, SparrowMarie said:
50 minutes ago, Sylverthorne said:

It indeed looks like it need copious amounts greasing. I think the only reason I haven't gotten one yet is that I am not the baker in our group, despite having gone to pastry school. The baker in the group actually owns her own bakery so we get to be test subjects and it saves me from having to transport cake to Seattle.

I was always taught to grease and flour my cake pans. Never have a sticking problem. For regular pans I also line the bottom with wax paper, but can't do that with pans with crevices.

• Like 7

Finally warmed up enough to try out my foam cutter. It's powered by a phone charger and uses an 12 V 8A dimmer switch. Had it ready to go for a long time but just to cold in the garage. I have plans for 2 or 3 large hills made mostly out of foam. Turn it on and it makes a lovely humming sound. My cutting wire is a guitar string. Start cutting some 2" thick insulation and it craps out after going about 5". Check things out thinking it's a problem with contact points on the cutting wire. Modify a couple things I's planned on anyhow and make sure contacts are good. Hums nicely and dies in a few inches. Almost 2 hours of tinkering later I'm cold and hungry because warmer means +2 C in the garage. After lunch I decide to hook the dimmer switch to my car battery charger instead of the phone charger. It worked except it's a bit hot even at the minimum setting on the dimmer which was the whole reason I wanted it. Too not overcook things. Really like how well it cut with the phone charger for the minute it worked. No burnt plastic smell and very clean thin cut. For hills it's no big deal if my accuracy's a bit off but I really want to make a castle and some of the smaller details need to be better. I plan on making templates out of mdf for any cutting.

Got my round hill piece cut and now sitting here trying to decide if I want to torture the foam cutter more, mess around with the tree bark I was going to use as cliff faces or go paint. Or maybe go play with my kids if mom gets them chased off them video games.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Aryanun said:

I was always taught to grease and flour my cake pans. Never have a sticking problem. For regular pans I also line the bottom with wax paper, but can't do that with pans with crevices.

That works if you can use something like lard or butter - and thus be guaranteed a thin coat of grease - but not so well with a pan you can't get into the crannies of, such as this one. I sprayed it, and then made sure of the coating with a pastry brush. Didn't trust it with flour, though.

Still came out of the pan, I had a little bit of sticking, but nothing catastrophic...

20180105_225045.thumb.jpg.dfdd3e85e38ce1181b4c063a5fb50505.jpg

Edited by Sylverthorne
Adding an instructional illustration
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Zink said:

My nephew had a nasty breakup with one of his girlfriends he lived with. She took his dog. She hated the dog but knew he loved it so she had to have it. Letting him go was what hurt my nephew the most over it all but he figured it was the only way to keep it from getting real ugly.

That's just plain evil.

1 hour ago, Crowley said:

Feel free to join in on the hangouts too. We're a friendly crazy bunch. 

The pistol cases are great. I've got one at work that I use to paint for 10-15 minutes every day at lunch. 

And don't worry about the dragon, or being good enough. An okay painted dragon is better than an unpainted dragon every time!!

Truth!

59 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

If it were me, I'd take the compliment.:poke:

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, Sylverthorne said:

That works if you can use something like lard or butter - and thus be guaranteed a thin coat of grease - but not so well with a pan you can't get into the crannies of, such as this one. I sprayed it, and then made sure of the coating with a pastry brush. Didn't trust it with flour, though.

Still came out of the pan, I had a little bit of sticking, but nothing catastrophic...

20180105_225045.thumb.jpg.dfdd3e85e38ce1181b4c063a5fb50505.jpg

That's a lot of crannies. Have you considered trying "Bakers Joy" with flour?

• Like 5