Froggy the Great

Randomness XIII: Cognitive Dissonance While You Wait

6 hours ago, Froggy the Great said:

Painting hundreds of 6mm orcs...

Done except for the bases and the lidless eyes on the standards.

• Like 10

Just bought tickets to see Hot Snakes play in March. I guess that should be fun.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

There are a couple of baddies out there right now.

PLUS, if you have an Intel processor you might [probably are] vulnerable to the chip level, kernel virtual memory flaw, for which they are recommending a complete processor replacement when a processor without the vulnerability becomes available. :angry:

Good Luck with your troubleshooting.
I know there is bu-coux  bad stuff out there right now as Ubuntu has been pushing out base updates daily, sometimes multiple updates on the same day.

GEM

It can also depend on exactly what oil they are using.  Canolla will definitely have an effect on flavor.

Many of the aerosol products are now using Nitrogen for a propellant, which is completely inert.

GEM

I haven't heard if Mac's are susceptible to these same issues, now that we are on Intel processors as well, and if I am understanding the base of my OS correctly (A Linux Ubuntu kernel). 

• Like 3

From what I've read the Intel vulnerability is OS Independent. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It's less of an issue for personal computers, or single servers; there are things that can be done to mitigate. Where it really hits people is cloud services and virtual machines. Amazon Web Services. Azure. Anything like that. I'm wondering a little about cars; a lot of them have little computers inside them these days, and a bunch are connected. Brrr.

Mr. Thorne is presently thanking his stars he's not running cloud services, or using any, and swearing bitterly about not being able to talk the company he works for out of cloud services.

He didn't actually say much about it on the Oracle, but if anyone wants to look, they're welcome.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Thes Hunter said:

I haven't heard if Mac's are susceptible to these same issues, now that we are on Intel processors as well, and if I am understanding the base of my OS correctly (A Linux Ubuntu kernel). 

Mac has already implemented software patches to mitigate the hardware issue.

GEM

9 minutes ago, Loim said:

From what I've read the Intel vulnerability is OS Independent. 

It's a hardware level problem.

Mac and Linux have already implemented patches and Windows is releasing patches on their regular schedule.

GEM

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Unruly said:

It's not just Intel processors. AMD is affected, as are some ARM processors. Intel is catching the most heat because of the 2 exploits, Meltdown and Spectre, Intel is currently affected by both and is almost the sole target of Meltdown, though there are claims that AMD being affected are just a matter of time. And Spectre, which is the one that affects all of them, won't be getting fixed any time soon because it's going to require a completely new CPU architecture. The last time a new architecture came around was back in 2003 when x86-64 hit the scene as a 64 bit extension of the old x86, which has been around since 1978 and had seen its most recent prior revision as IA-32 in 1985.

The big deal is that writing a new ISA requires all sorts of stuff. If you have to go away from the x86 family, then you're going to break a lot of software. As in every existing piece of software that most people use. Because it's all been written for x86 processors. Which is why everyone tends to just add on to x86 with things like SSE, MMX, etc rather than trying to reinvent the wheel.

The reason for that is because Intel is actually much, much better at designing processors than AMD. For a given clock speed, Intel processors will perform more operations than an equivalent AMD because they're more efficient in general, even without predictive processing. Which also means that Intel processors run cooler and use less energy than AMD ones do. Of course, back in the early 2000's the reverse was true, and AMD was designing the better chips. But then AMD didn't capitalize on it and rested on their heels, letting Intel catch up and bring their full might to bear. Of course, it didn't help that during that time Intel was also using monopolist tactics to keep AMD from gaining significant market share. For which Intel eventually paid out billions, but the damage was already done.

Intel holds certain patents that they will not license to AMD, causing AMD [and other processor manufacturers] to have to implement more code to accomplish workarounds for the patented code.  More instructions means more heat generated and when you speed the chip up enough to achieve comparable throughput they turn into really good space heaters.

GEM

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I kinda wanna buy a new laptop. Just for the hell of it. Mine's gotten old. And it's missing the "C" key.

And my wife's laptop is the exact same one.

She put a Firefly decal on hers.

I introduced her to that show. She sure loved it.

I'm a little drunk. Or a bit drunk. Somebody tell me what laptop to buy. I do nothing but Internet and Word. I don't care about chips. The whole world will burn anyway.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I kinda wanna buy a new laptop. Just for the hell of it. Mine's gotten old. And it's missing the "C" key.

And my wife's laptop is the exact same one.

She put a Firefly decal on hers.

I introduced her to that show. She sure loved it.

I'm a little drunk. Or a bit drunk. Somebody tell me what laptop to buy. I do nothing but Internet and Word. I don't care about chips. The whole world will burn anyway.

If all you do is internet and word processing have you considered a tablet with a keyboard?

I bought an RCA 10.5" screen model off of wally worlds web site a year ago [under a C note ] and it does quite nicely for those applications, as well as being a super book reader.

With the detachable keyboard it has not only a built in stand for movie viewing but the keyboard folds over the screen to protect it from getting scratched as easily.

GEM

Edited by Green Eyed Monster
fingers can't spell correctly
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

Felt and cork tiles. 

The doors here are not hung well and have a lot of gaps along the frame. So I used the cork and felt to make a strip that overlaps the edge of the frame. 

That sounds good. I have the same problem with my front door and draftiness. Maybe I should try that. Do you put the felt over the cork? 

So, I'm at the ER again. The nurses were concerned about my dad, he's been unresponsive (still is, he seems asleep, didn't respond to me when I came in) and falling, so they sent him to be checked out here. -_-

• Sad 13

Nah, I don't know. I feel like I need the solider thing. I've finally abandoned the computer for all but serious work that I do at the desk, really. Writing and submitting work, etc.

I probably should just buy another desktop. But I kinda wanna stay mobile. For when it ever becomes necessary again.

And of course I've got that typewriter. I'd like to work solely on it. But it isn't entirely conducive to my broccolity typing and real-time editing practices.

Catherine Bell on an old episode of Friends. She's maybe the most beautiful woman who's ever lived.

• Like 2

Currently waiting for a ride for my dad to get him back to the nursing home. There was basically no reason to send him here. He wasn't actually unresponsive, he's just kinda lost. He followed all the doctor's directions just fine, even if he doesn't make any sense. 

I got the sense that they really just didn't want to deal with him.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 14

1 hour ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Intel holds certain patents that they will not license to AMD, causing AMD [and other processor manufacturers] to have to implement more code to accomplish workarounds for the patented code.  More instructions means more heat generated and when you speed the chip up enough to achieve comparable throughput they turn into really good space heaters.

GEM

There's that, but it's not nearly as big a deal as some people make it out to be. For instance, instruction sets get cross licensed all the time. Without it, we'd still be in the stone age computationally. Because Intel would have never been able to make 64 bit processors, since AMD beat them to the punch, but AMD would have never been able to do that even, because they'd have never been able to get started by making more affordable versions of Intel processors, etc. The companies understand the phrase "a rising tide raises all boats." Without it, they'd be screwed because it would have devolved into a situation where no one improved because of patent fights.

No, where Intel has beat the pants off of AMD isn't necessarily in instruction sets, but in sheer design. Point one is that AMD spun off their chip fabrication years ago, for monetary reasons that Intel is pretty well responsible for, while Intel kept theirs. Which means that Intel has been pushing forward with smaller and smaller node processes, meaning their transistors are becoming smaller and smaller. The smaller a transistor, the smaller the overall chip, the better the energy efficiency, and the lower the heat. As a point of reference, Intel has been releasing chips that have been built on a 14nm process since 2014 and are preparing for 10nm chips to be released this year. AMD has been stuck on 32nm since around 2011, and has only released their first 14nm chips in the last year. But on top of that, Intel has just been able to consistently pull far more performance out of their chips than AMD as of late. And it's not just due to instruction sets. They're able to do more with fewer transistors, and they're able to do it faster at lower clock speeds, because they're simply better at designing the chips in the first place.

I won't say that AMD don't try, though. Bulldozer was one heck of a gamble, and it made me sad to see it not pay off the way it could have. Trying to focus on multithreading back then was something of a forward-thinking move, but the software world wasn't ready for a wholly new way of building processor cores and multithreading in the mainstream was still in its relative infancy.

But Intel can't just let AMD die. If they do, they'll face massive government scrutiny for antitrust reasons, because they'll become the sole provider of desktop CPUs, the largest server CPU provider, and a large mobile CPU provider. That screams monopoly, and is bad. So I personally think that Intel is holding back. Their old tick-tock release schedule, where they basically just keep tweaking and refining the same things for efficiency and smaller process nodes is a way to give AMD a chance to catch up. It's kind of what happened back in the late 90's with the Pentium 4 and the old Athlon XP. Intel just kept doing the same thing, while AMD went and did something different, and it made AMD the best for a while. But then Intel caught up and took the lead. I've got a feeling that Intel has been working on some major changes behind the scenes, to be ready for the time when AMD finally does it again.

• Like 3