Froggy the Great

Randomness XIII: Cognitive Dissonance While You Wait

May have picked up a Trojan virus from something. I haven't downloaded anything lately that the anti-virus software has deemed unsafe. So have been running a deep scan for about...4? hours now. So far nothing. Hoping it's not a Windows file because if it is, supposedly, the only way to fix it is to use the CD. Well I don't have a CD since the computer auto updated to Windows 10 for me.

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

56 minutes ago, Aryanun said:

That's a lot of crannies. Have you considered trying "Bakers Joy" with flour?

Yah. For some reason - betting propellants - it makes anything baked with it taste funny. :/

Not a fan. There's a thing someone does with solid fat, flour and oil that I might try the next time.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, SparrowMarie said:

May have picked up a Trojan virus from something. I haven't downloaded anything lately that the anti-virus software has deemed unsafe. So have been running a deep scan for about...4? hours now. So far nothing. Hoping it's not a Windows file because if it is, supposedly, the only way to fix it is to use the CD. Well I don't have a CD since the computer auto updated to Windows 10 for me.

There are a couple of baddies out there right now.

PLUS, if you have an Intel processor you might [probably are] vulnerable to the chip level, kernel virtual memory flaw, for which they are recommending a complete processor replacement when a processor without the vulnerability becomes available. :angry:

Good Luck with your troubleshooting.
I know there is bu-coux  bad stuff out there right now as Ubuntu has been pushing out base updates daily, sometimes multiple updates on the same day.

GEM

7 minutes ago, Sylverthorne said:

Yah. For some reason - betting propellants - it makes anything baked with it taste funny. :/

Not a fan. There's a thing someone does with solid fat, flour and oil that I might try the next time.

It can also depend on exactly what oil they are using.  Canolla will definitely have an effect on flavor.

Many of the aerosol products are now using Nitrogen for a propellant, which is completely inert.

GEM

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

PLUS, if you have an Intel processor you might [probably are] vulnerable to the chip level, kernel virtual memory flaw, for which they are recommending a complete processor replacement when a processor without the vulnerability becomes available. :angry:

I know there is bu-coux  bad stuff out there right now as Ubuntu has been pushing out base updates daily, sometimes multiple updates on the same day.

GEM

It can also depend on exactly what oil they are using.  Canolla will definitely have an effect on flavor.

Many of the aerosol products are now using Nitrogen for a propellant, which is completely inert.

GEM

Yah... for the first, Mr. Thorne actually made a point of mentioning it in the Oracle... yesterday. I might be able to link that - there's no commerce of any sort on the Oracle blog.

The oil I ended up using was propellant-free; I got what you might call a little irritable about the additives and said a few things I can't repeat here!

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, Sylverthorne said:

Yeah, I don't use the sprays much, myself.

You *could* melt lard or shortening, let it semi cool, then brush it on and flour?

Must be a better and tastier way.

• Like 5

This would explain why the new Firefox is so processor intensive and why Windows Update told me I don't need certain updates, don't bother them about it. It also explains why the system requirements for games have always been so weird (for example, Assassin's Creed: Origins requires an Intel i5 running at 2.5GHz or an AMD FX running at 3.9GHz).

Maybe this will restart research into faster consumer-grade processors. Now that predictive processing has been shown to be vulnerable, chips may have to go back to brute-forcing calculations as fast as possible in order to maintain apparent speed.

I built an AMD machine because Reasons. Not these reasons but I'm glad I did.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Crowley said:

Feel free to join in on the hangouts too. We're a friendly crazy bunch. 

The pistol cases are great. I've got one at work that I use to paint for 10-15 minutes every day at lunch. 

And don't worry about the dragon, or being good enough. An okay painted dragon is better than an unpainted dragon every time!!

I'll keep the hangouts in mind, although won't look into such until we're home first.  Still haven't made it to three FLGS yet, as wandering around town felt like fun. ^_^

As for the dragon, there is that slight worry but it's more along the lines of I can't wait to have a crack at it and have a good amount of fun :) 

• Like 8

Just watched Iron Man, painted yetis, and snuggled with my bride. Now time to think about dinner.

• Like 11

So I've been examining this one anime, One Piece.

It seems to be about a band of pirates who call themselves the Straw Hat Pirates.

And as far as I can determine, in something like 200 episodes, they have never done any actual pirating.

Straw_Hat_Pirates'_Jolly_Roger.png

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

Yah... for the first, Mr. Thorne actually made a point of mentioning it in the Oracle... yesterday. I might be able to link that - there's no commerce of any sort on the Oracle blog.

The oil I ended up using was propellant-free; I got what you might call a little irritable about the additives and said a few things I can't repeat here!

I've seen food grade oils in pump style spray bottles over the years, but they aren't available everywhere.

As to "Them Words", on occasion they are a necessary form of punctuation. :poke:

GEM

• Like 3

So. Whisky.

Time to brainstorm some new lives. Floor is open.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Zink said:

This is why I had a heavy punching bag in the basement. Great stress reliever. When that wasn't enough I took an axe or machete and headed into the bush and chopped things until I felt better.

My nephew had a nasty breakup with one of his girlfriends he lived with. She took his dog. She hated the dog but knew he loved it so she had to have it. Letting him go was what hurt my nephew the most over it all but he figured it was the only way to keep it from getting real ugly.

Reminded me of this. Skip ahead to about 3:25, then there's a bit at about 5:50.

8 hours ago, Pingo said:

(Just a marker for the last post I saw here.)

I've uploaded my phone camera pictures from last year, which means I can share these images of a very cool van:

Hide contents

Offworld-Designs-Van-2.jpg.a864248bfa7fc8c2318aead8da25d876.jpg

Offworld-Designs-Van-1.jpg.2f088000402e0603d09f5b3f86cf51a4.jpg

Offworld Designs prints and sells fun t-shirts at science fiction conventions.

It's missing a totally kickass wizard.

5 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

GEM

It's not just Intel processors. AMD is affected, as are some ARM processors. Intel is catching the most heat because of the 2 exploits, Meltdown and Spectre, Intel is currently affected by both and is almost the sole target of Meltdown, though there are claims that AMD being affected are just a matter of time. And Spectre, which is the one that affects all of them, won't be getting fixed any time soon because it's going to require a completely new CPU architecture. The last time a new architecture came around was back in 2003 when x86-64 hit the scene as a 64 bit extension of the old x86, which has been around since 1978 and had seen its most recent prior revision as IA-32 in 1985.

The big deal is that writing a new ISA requires all sorts of stuff. If you have to go away from the x86 family, then you're going to break a lot of software. As in every existing piece of software that most people use. Because it's all been written for x86 processors. Which is why everyone tends to just add on to x86 with things like SSE, MMX, etc rather than trying to reinvent the wheel.

4 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

This would explain why the new Firefox is so processor intensive and why Windows Update told me I don't need certain updates, don't bother them about it. It also explains why the system requirements for games have always been so weird (for example, Assassin's Creed: Origins requires an Intel i5 running at 2.5GHz or an AMD FX running at 3.9GHz).

Maybe this will restart research into faster consumer-grade processors. Now that predictive processing has been shown to be vulnerable, chips may have to go back to brute-forcing calculations as fast as possible in order to maintain apparent speed.

I built an AMD machine because Reasons. Not these reasons but I'm glad I did.

The reason for that is because Intel is actually much, much better at designing processors than AMD. For a given clock speed, Intel processors will perform more operations than an equivalent AMD because they're more efficient in general, even without predictive processing. Which also means that Intel processors run cooler and use less energy than AMD ones do. Of course, back in the early 2000's the reverse was true, and AMD was designing the better chips. But then AMD didn't capitalize on it and rested on their heels, letting Intel catch up and bring their full might to bear. Of course, it didn't help that during that time Intel was also using monopolist tactics to keep AMD from gaining significant market share. For which Intel eventually paid out billions, but the damage was already done.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Froggy the Great said:

Painting hundreds of 6mm orcs...

Done except for the bases and the lidless eyes on the standards.

• Like 10

Just bought tickets to see Hot Snakes play in March. I guess that should be fun.

• Like 3