Froggy the Great

Randomness XIII: Cognitive Dissonance While You Wait

On 1/5/2018 at 3:55 PM, TheAuldGrump said:

In my case, the woman that was in my life decided that another woman needed me more than she did.

They actually talked about it, before Jackie told me that Megan needed me more than she did, and why. (Jackie being of the opinion that our relationship, while very comfortable and long lasting, wasn't going anywhere - we might well have the same relationship ten years down the road, while Megan was looking for something more - and I am the marrying kind, while Jackie isn't.)

So, I can't say that I was jerked around, more passed down. ::P:

The Auld Grump - and I will admit, Megan and I got to the marrying stage pretty quick - but I had been with Jackie for more than twenty years.

Jackie is an amazingly sane and reasonable person.

But I don't think she was planning to let go, at first.

She kinda wanted to SHARE, which shows she did not completely understand you.

To her you were a friend with benefits - but the FRIEND part was more important.

You were looking for a life mate. Even so, she kept you sane, without someone you spend a lot of time spinning your wheels.

3 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

So, he's a food whisperer?::P:

Food cusser!

No swearing, but he GRIPES to his food!

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

On 1/5/2018 at 3:41 PM, TheAuldGrump said:

My high point for yesterday - trudging through the snow, pulling a cheap plastic toboggan, while Megan stood on the toboggan shouting 'Mush! Mush!'

Or trying to - I think she spent more time falling off into the snow than actually standing on the toboggan.... ::D:

The Auld Grump - we also spent a lot of time curled up and asleep... and I made meatloaf.

You left out Mum watching us for, like, fifteen minutes, and neither of us seeing her.

But the next day was AWFUL 0 degrees and windy. I don't think either BD or Sam will ever forgive us!

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, aku-chan said:

Good grief I'm having bad luck with technology this year, the household DVD player died last night.

We were planning on upgrading it to a Blu Ray one, but with the trouble I'm having replacing mine we're sticking to just DVD's for now (and again I had trouble finding something decent yet inexpensive).

Hopefully the tech curse has run its course, if any of the larger appliances conk it, it could prove problematic.

Wallyworld has some pretty cheap dvd/bluray combos...

I think my dvd player in the living room is starting to show it's age. I'm debating getting a new one.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 5

I've been using the Xbone for the last year and a half, but I guess since now I know the Blu-ray player never will arrive I ought just to buy a new one. Quit putting extra mileage on the gaming machine. Meh.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I've been using the Xbone for the last year and a half, but I guess since now I know the Blu-ray player never will arrive I ought just to buy a new one. Quit putting extra mileage on the gaming machine. Meh.

I am very glad to know we're not the only one who calls it an Xbone.

So did a ton of virus scans yesterday and came up with nothing. Did come up with a bunch of junk files but nothing dangerous like it thought I had. I ran like 3 different programs and still nothing came up. I guess I'm good?

• Like 3

Looks like my iPad could be on its last leg. It's not even that old. And its the only one of my devices that I actually like. *sigh*

• Sad 7

33 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Wait. What's this about alcohol not working.

Alcohol always works. But you need to realise what it does when it works. It doesn't solve any problems and the way it can often cause more. I used to drink way more than was necessary at times for stress relief. Helped for a bit but it never got rid of what was causing the stress.

16 minutes ago, SparrowMarie said:

So did a ton of virus scans yesterday and came up with nothing. Did come up with a bunch of junk files but nothing dangerous like it thought I had. I ran like 3 different programs and still nothing came up. I guess I'm good?

I got infected with Amazon Assistant yesterday. It kept popping up empty windows continually. It was the first real problem I've had with Windows 10 and I couldn't even figure out how to get into safe mode to get rid of it for a long time. My antivirus and Malwarebytes didn't recognise it as a problem. I was starting to get frustrated trying to get rid of it just because Windows 10 is still unfamiliar enough for me that I couldn't figure out where and how to do things I used to.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

Wait. What's this about alcohol not working.

Alcohol is a depressant. It works by numbing things. Works well for nerve pain, at least for non-inflammatory nerve pain like mine.

But it's what's with the alcohol that really works.

Tea and honey with scotch (or orange juice with vodka) treats minor illnesses like colds and sometimes even a general loss of give-a-darn.

Wine (because it contains a zillion more chemicals than just alcohol) boosts the immune system when taken in one or two glass doses. Red wine also helps keep a bad heart from getting much worse. Not a replacement for medication but a good supplement to.

Beer, and I mean real unfiltered beer with color and taste to it, can be a good source of chromium (from yeasts) when taken in one or two pint doses. You need chromium to build and maintain insulin receptors. It's also been recommended by old doctors for nursing mothers. Chromium is one of those trace elements nobody gets enough of anymore. Restricted dose should be considered because too much maltose can weird your system worse, because beer guts are a thing, and because the required beers to see benefit are strong. Sippin' beers are real.

Mead combines the trace elements of beer with the goodness of honey. Unfiltered honey is still recommended by some doctors for allergy sufferers as an exposure therapy. 

Fruity girly drinks are a great way to get fruit in the diet. 

Alcohol totally works. But not as a problem solver. It does all these other great things when taken in moderation.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Who was it that offered to help me write an about me? If you, or anyone that would like to help, could send me a PM that'd be awesome.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, SparrowMarie said:

Who was it that offered to help me write an about me? If you, or anyone that would like to help, could send me a PM that'd be awesome.

'Twas me.

• Like 4

On 1/6/2018 at 3:36 PM, Aryanun said:

I was always taught to grease and flour my cake pans. Never have a sticking problem. For regular pans I also line the bottom with wax paper, but can't do that with pans with crevices.

That was what I was taught to do as well, back in Home Ec.

I think that folks cut back on that because of Pam's advertising.

The Auld Grump - just because a commercial tells you that you don't have to do something doesn't mean that you shouldn't.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Grump made butterscotch yesterday.

I never knew what goes into it, but always assumed, you know, SCOTCH!

Turns out it is just brown sugar and butter, and a bit of cream.

None of which TASTE anything like butterscotch!

MAGIC! :lol:

Butterscotch is pretty much caramelized butter - and used to be called butterrscorch, if I remember properly.

But, yeah, magic. ::): You know what all the ingredients taste like, but once caramelized, it becomes an entirely new beastie.

The Auld Grump - I hadn't made it in years, but decided I wanted a drizzle for the bread pudding.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Zink said:

I got infected with Amazon Assistant yesterday. It kept popping up empty windows continually. It was the first real problem I've had with Windows 10 and I couldn't even figure out how to get into safe mode to get rid of it for a long time. My antivirus and Malwarebytes didn't recognise it as a problem. I was starting to get frustrated trying to get rid of it just because Windows 10 is still unfamiliar enough for me that I couldn't figure out where and how to do things I used to.

Safe Mode in Windows 10 is Ridiculously Paintful.  There is no reason not to stick with the time honored tradition of hitting a key while booting a selecting the version of Safe Mode you want.  Nope.  Let's throw that out next to the sink and the plunger that are both functional.  Let's put in a system that you actually have to be able to boot into a regular window before you get the option to do any diagnostics.  Phah!  

/Rant Off ... but not over... 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2