Froggy the Great

Randomness XIII: Cognitive Dissonance While You Wait

4 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Grump made butterscotch yesterday.

I never knew what goes into it, but always assumed, you know, SCOTCH!

Turns out it is just brown sugar and butter, and a bit of cream.

None of which TASTE anything like butterscotch!

MAGIC! :lol:

Butterscotch is pretty much caramelized butter - and used to be called butterrscorch, if I remember properly.

But, yeah, magic. ::): You know what all the ingredients taste like, but once caramelized, it becomes an entirely new beastie.

The Auld Grump - I hadn't made it in years, but decided I wanted a drizzle for the bread pudding.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Zink said:

I got infected with Amazon Assistant yesterday. It kept popping up empty windows continually. It was the first real problem I've had with Windows 10 and I couldn't even figure out how to get into safe mode to get rid of it for a long time. My antivirus and Malwarebytes didn't recognise it as a problem. I was starting to get frustrated trying to get rid of it just because Windows 10 is still unfamiliar enough for me that I couldn't figure out where and how to do things I used to.

Safe Mode in Windows 10 is Ridiculously Paintful.  There is no reason not to stick with the time honored tradition of hitting a key while booting a selecting the version of Safe Mode you want.  Nope.  Let's throw that out next to the sink and the plunger that are both functional.  Let's put in a system that you actually have to be able to boot into a regular window before you get the option to do any diagnostics.  Phah!  

/Rant Off ... but not over... 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 1/6/2018 at 1:35 PM, Pingo said:

Off to game day. The GM said to bring all my vampires, including the half-painted ones. I’m sure it’ll be fine. See y’all later!

Update time!

So here’s how the game session ended: With the PCs entering the room of Caine’s empty throne in the ghost of Enoch, the ancient city, the four Antedeluvians of the clans Brujah, Toreador, Ventrue, and Gangrel rising from their seats to confront us.

I am coming to the conclusion that what we are playing in is a superhero game.

The GM disagrees, but only because the PCs’ job is not to maintain the status quo (i.e. stopping muggings and bank robberies and preventing destruction of the world), but to clean up the horrendous mess the world has become.

The game uses Exalted as the prehistory of the World of Darkness.

The game background is, to run with the superhero metaphor, as though for millennia the world has been freely run for their own interests by the casts of Arkham Asylum and the House of Secrets and the House of Mysteries and the House of Dracula and all the secondary characters from the Sandman and Adam Strange and Spider-Man and all those weird old EC comics. And now suddenly all at once Superman, Wonder Woman, the Flash, Thor, She-Hulk, Phoenix, the Scarlet Witch and the Swamp Thing appear full-fledged, with memories but no support structure. And they are tougher than most everything but vastly outnumbered in a big, complex old mess of a world.

If anyone is interested in more details of the adventure, here are some, spoilered for the eye-glazing tedium of RPG session stories, and annotated because the White Wolf vocabulary is a little weird.

Spoiler

The game session began with a little downtime housecleaning, consequences of last adventure, research and practice time, etc. The GM, kindly or ominously, warned us that we might not wish to spend all our XP.

The adventure proper began when the party’s Hong Kong-based  Solar Zenith Caste (leader-priest) (who used to be a vampire) received a frantic Skype (yes) from a Sabbat Nosferatu (sewer vampire) (who normally despised her) that a vampire relation of hers had been kidnaped from North Africa and she had better do something about it.

Zenith promptly checked on her youngest vampire relation, who was learning magic from the party’s Solar Twilight Caste (scholar-mage) (who used to be a WoD mage).  The vampire was fine (Twilight ran a rehab center in Scotland crawling with mages, werewolves, and vampires, by definition well-protected), but was just about to call her that he had learned of a second vampire relation, much older and better protected, who had also been kidnaped at the same time from Russia.

It was definitely vampires that did it, and evidence suggested the Tremere (a clan of warlock vampires that nobody trusts). The working hypothesis was that the kidnaped vampires were to be leverage to force the Zenith to do what the kidnappers wanted.

The party assembled: the two Solars, Zenith and Twilight; another Solar, Night Caste (spy-assassin) (who used to be a vampire assassin from Arabia); a Lunar general-tactician who used to be a were-cat of some sort and is still somewhat secretive, from the U.S.; a Lunar ninja-warrior who used to be a Naga (were-cobra) from India; and a Sidereal Chosen of Serenity (a.k.a. “Joybringer”, a sort of happiness ninja wizard, it’s weird, okay?) who had been and was still a South Korean pop singer (and the only member of the party who had known nothing of the WoD before exalting - boy, that was an eye-opener).

Sidereals can normally trace people by their fates, but not this time.

A very nervous junior Tremere vampire herald showed up with threats and demands for Clan Tremere. We were obviously meant to kill him, so we subdued him instead (The Solar priest can drain the willpower from Creatures of Darkness by chewing them out for immorality and bad choices. It’s too slow for combat time but is extraordinarily effective in conversational time.).

Except, the whole thing was a trick. The Tremere had been set up. And when the party made its way through the Tremere stronghold in Vienna they discovered (spoilered again if you actually care about WoD spoilers)

Spoiler

the clan founder, Tremere, possessed momentarily by Saulot, who he had eaten a thousand years ago. Saulot was known as a generally Nice Guy, for an ancient vampire, who had invented certain spiritual paths seeking a humane way of vampirism.  Tremere is kind of universally loathed for eating him. And - surprise! - eaten does not necessarily mean gone.

Anyhow, Saulot revealed that there were two layers of set-up. It was meant to look like the Tremere had been framed by the Tzimisce (a clan of body-horror vampires who are, we learned recently, infected by an alien virus). But the real kidnappers were a shadowy group we had never heard of called the Tal'Mahe'Ra, an ancient society of allied mages and vampires, who wanted the Tzimisce wiped out and did not mind if the Tremere went down with them.

The true kidnappers were holding the two vampires in the ghostly city of Enoch in the Underworld, which explained why the Sidereal could not find them, since the city is outside of Fate.

So the party made its way to the Underworld and infiltrated the city and quietly fought a bunch of vampires and discovered the kidnaped vampires locked in sarcophagoi in a ghostly temple and got them out and fed them some other vampires (look, it gets weird, okay?).

And then the PCs tried to sneak into the palace at the center of the city but sneaking up on Antedeluvians (the thirteen very ancient vampires who founded the vampire clans) is very hard and as soon as we entered the four seated there rose to confront us. From their appearances we gather that they are the founders of the Brujah, the Toreadors, the Ventrue, and the Gangrels.

But the day was late and so the adventure is to be continued ...

• Like 14

28 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Merry Ukrainian Christmas, everyone.

С рождествем! We're getting ready for the last round of our 2 weeks of Christmas/New years. We've been sick and haven't gone anywhere for a while so food supplies are limited. I'm in charge of the main meat dish. :mellow: Meatloaf is a traditional holiday dish ain't it?

Had a unpleasant visit from one of my cousins and his wife today. There's 2 people I despise with my whole heart and soul. He's one of them. Long history of how he screwed me and my parents over the years. We have one mile of joint fence which he has never once repaired in the last 14 years. I knew my cows would be there this winter so in the fall I checked the fence and he had put a couple of posts and one wire across a bad spot of bog and bush. I decided if he felt that was a proper fix why bother doing more. So unsurprisingly my cows are on a small piece of his land.

Now he's rightly somewhat scared of me so he brought his wife. She's not a nice lady and likes to yell at me if she can because she knows I most likely won't hit a woman. Cousin hiding behind his wife tells me the problem. She wants to yell but I just say I'll check it tomorrow. Then she tears into me about gates being left open. I reply that I can't be there all day every day to know who's leaving gates open. Then she wants me to shut a gate that her husband destroyed 2 years ago. I tell her that and cousin admits it and that there is no gate. She has never actually gone to see the spot we are discussing and has no idea what my cousin does. I could see the shock in her face. Then he says that wasn't where they got out it was where he put one wire and a couple posts. He said the post fell over but he didn't bother fixing it. Wife was shocked again that he wouldn't even do his own work.

I told them that if they don't want my cattle getting out it's their responsibility to fix things too. I said my cows are likely to get out again until cousin actually helps or at least help pay for it. She wants me to put up cameras to keep trespassers of their land. I said it's not my problem if people are on your land and what good will a camera do? Especially when there's a public road through their property. It was so amusing to watch her deflate and my cousin try to pretend he's the good guy without outright lying to her. I kind of enjoyed ruining their day by being calm and reasonable. Sadly tomorrow I need to go try and fix a pile of broccoli that he left because my cows are out. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

I'm such a mixed breed I don't even get a goofy classification.

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, Darsc Zacal said:

Because I'm part German and part Ukrainian, a coworker said that makes me a Geranium.

:wacko:

Actually, you're probably a Geranian or a Ukrainman.

Or possibly a Gerukrainmanian.

GEM

22 minutes ago, Zink said:

I'm such a mixed breed I don't even get a goofy classification.

Northern European here.

Any closer classification would require DNA level examination as my peeps have been here since New York was called New Amsterdam on one side and before the Revolutionary War on the other..

GEM

• Like 7

Long John Silver's is now a source of sadness.

It also tasted awful tonight.

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

I'm pretty white.

I have a sudden compulsion to throw together a picture of Jeff Goldblum with the caption, "I'm pretty white for a fly guy."

Fortunately I'm going to bed soon so I don't have a valid justification for not doing it, lol.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

Long John Silver's is now a source of sadness.

It also tasted awful tonight.

They probably waited too many days to change their fryer oil.

If the food tasted "off" the oil may be borderline [or fully] rancid.

GEM

• Like 2