Froggy the Great

Randomness XIII: Cognitive Dissonance While You Wait

Honestly don't know if I'm gonna make it through this one, y'all. I've grown weak.

• Like 1

But hey, even if there's not sleep there's Torche covering Nirvana for apparent reason.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Like, a proper newt you have in a tank, or the epic kind that's more like a sleek lizardman?  Because the latter could always be an interesting thing. 

I prefer the Phyrexian variety. Androgenous and born in vats of glistening oil, only to be later shaped into one of Yawgmoth's many killing machines.

12 hours ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

Well, we finally heard back about the car.  The insurance has declared it a total loss so it's time to buy a new car.  Only trouble is that my wife and I have never actually bought a car from a dealership, so this is going to be an adventure.  My wife's parents will probably help us.

The annoying thing about this is that the insurance has had the repairs estimate for a week and my wife only found out because she called the collision place yesterday trying to find out if they'd been able to look at the car yet.  The insurance didn't mail the paperwork until after my wife spoke with her, so we won't have their check until Monday maybe.  And they're going to stop paying for the rental car on Sunday so... Like I said, this is going to be an adventure.

Sounds like mine, but faster. It took over a month for them to get me my total settlement. And this is after they informed me that it was totalled a week after the accident. I honestly think I could be still driving the rental car if I hadn't pressed them about the check because I wanted to get the new car before I took my New Year's trip.

One thing to do before going to a dealership is to find out both invoice cost and total dealer cost for whatever you're looking at buying. Invoice is what the dealer will tell you they're charged by the manufacturer. Total dealer cost is what you get when you take the invoice price and apply all the extra things that the dealer won't tell you about, like holdbacks, dealer incentives, etc that bring the dealer's actual expenditures down. Once you have an idea of the total dealer cost, you've got a good starting point for an offer, because you know they won't be likely to go below that. But bumping it up by a small percentage, like 3-5%, is often considered to be a fair deal.

Of course, it's hard to find out which dealer incentives are going on because they frequently change and are also frequently regional, so you'll often be estimating high, but whatever. It's one of the many flaws with dealers, but as far as it goes it's a small one. Also, never pay for the dealer applied "interior treatment" or whatever they call it, because they'll charge you $600 for $10 worth of ScotchGard. It's a scam, and that's pretty much true for anything that's listed as being applied by the dealership.

7 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

The kids have figured out the basic big plot!

Spoilered for folks that want to play in Skull & Shackles -

Hide contents

That the devil worshiping nation of Cheliax is seeking to end the pirate menace, which includes the PCs.

This is not a game of Good vs. Evil, it is a game of Chaotic Neutral vs Lawful Evil - the pirates aren't the 'good guys', just better than the empire that wants to crush them. :devil:

The players are scheming right now, as the cocoa slowly, slowly, slowly heads toward being done. (It already smells good.)

So, pizza being ordered early, while the kids try to figure out what to do.

I am grinning like the Joker. ::D:

The Auld Grump - until just now, I don't think that they realized that there is a plot. ::P:

Chelaxians aren't evil! They're just misunderstood, have sold their souls to devils in exchange for power, and want to rebuild their empire by grinding you under their boot heels as they March their armies over you. But they're not evil, no sir!

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

Just got done painting eyes on eleven dwarves and a female texas ranger. Taking a break before I go back for the fixing and cleaning up stage on them.  I hope I can get that done before I have the urge to take a nap because I don't like the way they're staring at me.....

"WHAT, YOU THINK YER GONNA GO EAT SOMETHING WHILE WE STAY LIKE THIS?!" 

"I'm hungry and I need more coffee, settle down." 

"YEAH? WELL WE CAN'T SEE STRAIGHT! FIX US!" 

"Look just give me a minute..." 

"OPEN THE BOOK OF GRUDGES!" 

eep. Looks like a late lunch then....

So glad I'm not the only one who hears the minis talking!

12 hours ago, Crowley said:

If its the one I think it is, it was an insanely inexpensive amazon digital album. Something like $2...

You know what stinks? Working a job you know you'll only be in for another 7 business days. 

What stinks more? Not knowing when you'll next get a paycheck...

Thinking about setting up a twitch channel. "Paint Strippers" guys sitting painting minis while wearing... Not much. Anyone else want in on this?

These days there are bloggers who put youtube vids online of them playing a game and they get paid for it..

Maybe this can apply to painting a mini as well?

10 hours ago, eldamir said:

Are you sure?

image.png.18eb207cda95d66c01b76a14ec1b649f.png

That's  Fake Newt!!!

8 hours ago, OneBoot said:

I find that the older I get, the less I care about what other random people care about my appearance. Give me loads of 'ugly' pockets, darn it! I have a mighty need to store ALL THE THINGS! :lol:

On a totally unrelated note, all of our credit cards are now 100% paid off! :bday::bday::bday: It took a whole year, and this month will be tight, but we finally did it. MrBoot is extremely happy, since he's seen what debt can do to a family (his parents are lovely people, but not the most financially responsible). Plus after this month, those funds will be available for other things. ^_^

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Congrats, a wise decision!

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Marvin said:

No, that deduction is still applicable, unchanged by the bill that ultimately was passed.

Thanks. The last I had read they axed it. Of course, I've had Things distracting me lately. It was a Hide-in-the-Bedroom sort of day, today.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Cyradis said:

You don't look like a canine, Beagle. I am kinda disappointed. By wording, it seems like you are well again now? Please be well again? 

All fine now thanks, although on a cold night when the wind howls and the wolves are running, I do feel some of the old injuries and have nightmares about the accident. 

Fairly rare though, I’m usually dreaming about KitKats or oil wrestling busty maidens

• Like 9

All of the Harry Potter movies are on HBO Now this month, so I watched them all. Then, yesterday, since I was out of main Harry Potter movies to watch, I decided to finally watch Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. It has been on HBO Now for a couple months, and I've just never decided to watch it yet.

It's not a great movie. It took me two days to watch it. But I guess they're making a sequel? I hope the sequel doesn't take place in America. I really don't like the way they depicted Americans as being wholly intolerant of everything...

I'm also on my third "glass" of cheap wine that I'd originally bought to cook with but now seem to just be drinking in quantity. I was going to do my taxes tonight, but my copy of the tax software I ordered didn't get delivered like it was supposed to. I would have normally just bought the digital download version so that wouldn't have been an issue, but I was able to save $10 by buying the physical copy. Which seems counter to the whole reason for selling digital copies in the first place.

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 6

Wanted to hit the gym today, but showers are out of order due to maintenance...

So next week then..

**** Ravages the candy jar at work ***

*** Licorice!!!****

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

8 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

YES! You must live in Canada,  it's the awesomest place to be! We have rocks and stuff.

Don't forget all the trees, and cows.  Especially cows!

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Unruly said:

All of the Harry Potter movies are on HBO Now this month, so I watched them all.

The movies made me forget how much of a despicable dick Snape was in the books. Because, dang, he was a horrible person.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

I thought the moose killed them off.

Nah, they took over Jasper and Banff - even they couldn't stand the boring desolation that's highway 2 so left it to the cows, who don't care its a boring drive full of flat land and grass....  And maybe the occasional hill. 

There's a reason locals joke as to why everyone stops at Gasoline alley... It's to prevent a full melting of brain due to boredom when driving from Edmonton to Calgary! (sad part is so many think Red Deer is just Gasoline Alley, as highway two goes around that city O_o).  It could also have to do with the Donut Mill and A&W being there too (mmm, stop for great donuts aaaand a milkshake.  So tasty) 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, OneBoot said:

In the continuing saga of the borked computer, I apparently somehow accidentally pleased the computer spirits enough that something I didn't think had worked actually did! I now haz Windows again, but I'm afraid to turn off my computer again until the update is patched, just in case. :unsure:

First, I tried various things in the command prompt as suggested by a few articles from reputable sources, to no avail. I know just enough about the inner depths of the computer to be dangerous, but not enough to actually be helpful most of the time, so I lacked the ability to figure out why nothing was working. :lol:

Then, as suggested by another article, I tried to access the Recovery options by pressing F8 until it appeared. Yay, that worked! Only it wants an administrator password. Well, no problem there, I remembered MrBoot left it as one of those awful super simple passwords you're never ever supposed to use ever. Except apparently at some point, one of us changed it. :mellow: I tried every possible password and permutation thereon I could think of, with increasing frustration. Finally, out of sheer spite, I left the password field blank and hit enter.

Wanna take a guess whether that worked? :lol: I've no clue when it got changed to blank, but I'm definitely fixing that when I can.

Finally in the Recovery options, I started System Restore for yesterday morning. That one failed, as I'd kinda expected. I then tried with the only other restore point, from a few days ago. That...failed too. <_< So I rebooted while trying to think what to do next.

...And it loaded Windows just fine. :blink:

I double-checked that the problem update was not slated to be downloaded again (it's not) and I'm running a system scan just to make sure everything's fine. Apparently Microsoft got lots of reports similar to mine, and have rolled back the updates affecting people until it can be fixed.

So, I feel accidentally awesome now for accidentally fixing the computer! :lol:

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Fixed is fixed, don't question it. :lol:

Although, to be safe, you might want to bake something yummy and leave a bit out to (further) appease the machine spirits. :poke:

9 hours ago, Cyradis said:

I have another interview with the Vancouver professor, this time with the editor lady who he referred to me for help on the scholarship essay! Woohoo! And my back-up school (Maine) is very interested in having me there. Now to write the thesis... *ack*

Good luck!

4 hours ago, Unruly said:

All of the Harry Potter movies are on HBO Now this month, so I watched them all. Then, yesterday, since I was out of main Harry Potter movies to watch, I decided to finally watch Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. It has been on HBO Now for a couple months, and I've just never decided to watch it yet.

It's not a great movie. It took me two days to watch it. But I guess they're making a sequel? I hope the sequel doesn't take place in America. I really don't like the way they depicted Americans as being wholly intolerant of everything...

Supposedly, J.K. Rowling doesn't have a very high opinion of Americans; that could be her prejudice showing through (if it's true).

• Like 4

So proud of myself this morning! Last night, I finished my first Kingdom Death mini - she turned out magnificent. And this morning, I got up, and I WORKED OUT! I also actually did my make up without getting to work later than usual! WOOHOO!

Just wanted to share my pride! This is a major achievement for me.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 6

13 minutes ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

So proud of myself this morning! Last night, I finished my first Kingdom Death mini - she turned out magnificent. And this morning, I got up, and I WORKED OUT! I also actually did my make up without getting to work later than usual! WOOHOO!

Just wanted to share my pride! This is a major achievement for me.

Congrats!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1