Froggy the Great

Randomness XIII: Cognitive Dissonance While You Wait

28 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

A few years ago, I  wouldn't have gotten either that or Grump calling him Paladin.

I was surprised that sometimes Paladin handled things by making people sit down and TALK!

THAT was when he REALLY earned his $1,000!

Just me, or were actors in old TV shows hired more for their voices than their looks?

MAYBE.....

Have Gun Will Travel was originally a radio show - so, yeah, hired for his voice. ::): (The radio show had a different Paladin,, but the voice was important.) *EDIT* I am dead wrong! The TV show came first! Now that isn't something that happened very often!

A lot of the old TV and movie actors got their start in either radio or on stage - where a clear voice and good projection was important.

Hector Ramsey was Richard Boone's character in the show Hec Ramsey. ('What kind of a name is Hec?' 'A better one than Hector...')

*EDIT* Added Hec Ramsey YouTube video.

Urban legend makes Hec Ramsey to be Paladin, long retired as a gunslinger, and now a forensic coroner, and I like to think that it is so.

The Auld Grump - not quite old enough to watch Have Gun Will Travel when it was first showing - but old enough to watch Hec Ramsey, which was my favorite of the old CBS Mystery TV series, even better, to my mind, than Columbo.

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

I think if I got to pick my house, I would pick Figmentius...because I think I have the figmentia...and it has also extended to my paints...

WARNING, NON-GOBLIN MATH BELOW. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

I have:

Approximately 60 metal minis

Approximately 300 Bones minis 

Approximately 40 GW minis

Kingdom Death: Monster and all of its minis (approx. 42 minis)

Imperial Assault Base Game with all its minis (37, btw)

Approximately 20 WizKids miniatures

Approximately 100 Reaper paints and 60 Army Painter paints...

All acquired since May... And these numbers don't count the Kickstarters that haven't yet been delivered...

I have no sense of moderation.

...Mister Mouse is starting to force me to apply moderation. HELP! I don't want to stop!

I think  it's pretty much a given that all of us on the forums have both Figmintia and Pigmentia. My own collections of minis, paints, colored pencils, etc are only limited by cash on hand and space to store them. And I really want to try out the Scale 75 paints.

• Like 7

Well. That was better and worse than I expected. I just need to not eat anything I know how to cook.

Edited by Werkrobotwerk
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

People carry on, everything's so bad now, it's all so bad in the world, the end is coming, blah blah blah, and I'm just like, you know, come on, son, we survived Limp Bizkit twenty years ago already, we'll be fine.

Still tho. There was a time.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Flit said:

I think  it's pretty much a given that all of us on the forums have both Figmintia and Pigmentia. My own collections of minis, paints, colored pencils, etc are only limited by cash on hand and space to store them. And I really want to try out the Scale 75 paints.

If you can try any of the Scale 75 stuff I highly recommend their metalics. They are amazing.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, SparrowMarie said:

If you can try any of the Scale 75 stuff I highly recommend their metalics. They are amazing.

I agree!

Those are the best in the field.

Do remember, you need to pierce the tip of the dropper bottle the first time, they are sealed.

If you don't and squeeze too hard, the bottle might kinda explode ...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

I agree!

Those are the best in the field.

Do remember, you need to pierce the tip of the dropper bottle the first time, they are sealed.

If you don't and squeeze too hard, the bottle might kinda explode ...

THIS. I completely forgot, very important to know.

• Like 7

How are the newer HD MSP metallics? I really want to buy some new ones and I'm trying to decide between them and the Scale 75s that everybody is going on about. I've got Vallejo Game Color and MSP right now. Game color is ok but I'm not that fond of the MSP ones. Either way it'll be mail order just with Reaper I can fill up to free shipping level easily.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Mini painting helped me in a geology interview. Apparently the professor hasn't found anyone who he can successfully train to mount oriented crystals to slides. I have detail and precision, and it had been noted on my CV (I listed high detail mini painting as a talent). The interviewer mentioned that I'd probably be trainable due to that talent. I said "challenge accepted - I can learn to mount crystals!"

Woohoo!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

57 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

Darn alarm clock and having to go to a scheduled event. <_< I was having the most amazing dream, too. The best part is it was a semi-lucid one, where I could control my actions but didn't quite realize it was a dream. 

It was set in a post-apocalyptic world, which I figured that out from the grayish lighting, sense of far fewer people about, and the vague but omnipresent feeling of being hunted by some sort of monsters. It was a meandering sort of dream, where the group of people I was with (which kept changing, from just my family, to MrBoot and his brother and wife, to my family plus some ranom folks I know from church only by sight, etc.) were trying to escape the city, slowly. We had to do it carefully though, or the monsters would clue in, so there was a lot of casually wandering into stores or restaurants and ducking out the back door, secret tunnels (one set of which came out through my childhood house) and the like, always making sure not to leave any traces. People in my group kept displaying odd but highly useful skills that helped in different situations (though my sister-in-law telling me she was great at Quidditch, the kind played in real life on the ground...not that helpful lol). 

Anyways, it was super cool. Though I'm pretty sure it was triggered by the overlong Elder Scrolls Online play session I had last night/this morning. Some of my best dreams tend to come after long video game stints. :) 

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

I have these sort of dreams quite often, always with a greenish purple sky with unnaturally fast moving clouds. The things hunting resemble a morrowind netch  as designed by Lovecraft several miles long, hovering over what used to be cities. The last one of these dreams I had I was trying to outrun a horde of angry shades in a 72 Pontiac Gran Prix. Oddest part of that dream was when I turned on the radio, Surfin Safari by the Beach Boys came on and sounded....rotted. Decayed sound....the things my mind comes up with.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

I can recommend Scale 75 Sunset Purple, Reaper Amethyst Purple and Imperial Purple for sure.

I'll definitely keep those in mind!  *tries not to add even more paint to second Reaper order, but knows he doesn't really have any purples at the moment unless he's forgetting if one was included in learn to paint kits*

• Like 6

I swear this day should have been over hours ago...

Oh well, it's like the old saying goes: "Like meatloaf through a straw, so are the workdays of our lives..."

• Like 7

Whatever happened to that line of miniatures that was supposed to come out for the Midgard setting by Kobold Press?

I remember that they had a Kickstarter, and then... nuthin.

They had a Gearforged Huntsman that would have worked well for my Paladin.

The Auld Grump

*EDIT* Nevermind - it looks like the creator of the Kickstarter took all the money and scarpered.

The Auld Grump

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

Now I want to make a spreadsheet of minis...

But...I'll have to identify them then. 

My Bones and many of my metal minis are no longer in their blisters...

I may ask for help in this task. 

I have a spreadsheet. Going  by the row numbers I have aproxamatly 1063 individual minis including duplicates. The reason I started keeping my minis in a spreadsheet is so I won't accidentally buy multiple copies of a mini.

Edited by Flit
  • Like 8