Froggy the Great

Randomness XIII: Cognitive Dissonance While You Wait

1 hour ago, Unruly said:

One of my coworkers is an absolute idiot.

Among other things I've heard him tell people regarding other points of science and biology(certain arguments some politicians made over divisive feminine issues), he's just told me that salt doesn't do anything at all if it's below 32F outside. When I tried to explain to him the chemistry of it, he told me he knows chemistry and that I was wrong. Apparently he believes that salt doesn't lower the freezing point of water, and that road salt doesn't melt existing ice. He also believes that nothing will freeze if the ambient air temperature is above 32F, despite the fact that it will be 34F with sustained winds of 12mph and gusts of 20mph. Because I guess wind doesn't help make water cold the way it makes people cold. Or something.

So he won't let me run the salt spreader through our parking lots until he sees snow actually starting to build up. Because despite the fact that ice is supposed to be literally falling from the sky for two hours before any regular snow falls, it apparently isn't going to freeze on the ground. He also says that our boss told him not to spread salt, but I talked to our department head before he left for the day and he agreed with me that if the weather goes the way it's supposed to we should spread salt early. My coworker doesn't believe me.

As soon as I see salt trucks on the road, which I guarantee I will by the time frame that I suggested we salt our lots, I'm going to point it out. Because the road crews know more than anyone how to handle this kind of crap. Pre-emptive salting goes a long, long way.

Yes, your coworker is an idiot. Since he "knows chemistry" ask him if he knows why water is wet.

Edited by Flit
  • Like 8
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Whooooo, my dragon came in a stealth box, if that counts.

I'd post some sort of update, but I'm supposed to be getting ready to go out to the year end party, which is at dinner theater....  ...Because apparently according to some (well, I suppose myself) it takes me FOREVER to get dressed for such an event.  But... I'm not dressing up, not even doing anything crazy with my hair, just making it look...  Kind of not "wore a toque all day" look :P

If I have energy left when I get back, I'll update the double rainbow dragons of doom thread :P

Lava Orange may not be close to my favourite shade of orange, but it sure is pretty.

Glad to hear he landed safely and avoided both the minions of the Malfeans and hungry birds.

• Like 7

Uhm... Megan was a little upset with me.

Just a teeny tiny bit.

The Auld Grump she has a pointy finger when she is jabbing me with it.

*EDIT* She was right, I was wrong. I thought I was being funny, but I wasn't.

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

I think I've figured out how to get to the macro setting on my phone camera! I've only had the phone 6 months of looking around the Google machines. <_< I've also found (what I hope is) a decent looking clip on macro lens to make it even easier. It's only $16 so even if I do get it and it doesn't work I'm not out much.

• Like 7

I'm sometimes able to point the camera on my phone the right direction.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Just a teeny tiny bit.

I just don't think he gets why I am upset.

And if I ask him he will TELL me that he doesn't understand, and that he is sorry.

And he will MEAN it!

Sometimes it is like trying to have an argument with Data. :rolleyes:

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

I just don't think he gets why I am upset.

And if I ask him he will TELL me that he doesn't understand, and that he is sorry.

And he will MEAN it!

Sometimes it is like trying to have an argument with Data. :rolleyes:

The Stabby Witch Finger is a powerful tool. It's like the Loki Pokey Stick from Avengers. Why do you think they always have witches in movies and TV shows poking people with their fingers all the time? Poke, and suddenly the person dies, becomes a friend, goes to sleep, etc.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Unruly said:

The Stabby Witch Finger is a powerful tool. It's like the Loki Pokey Stick from Avengers. Why do you think they always have witches in movies and TV shows poking people with their fingers all the time? Poke, and suddenly the person dies, becomes a friend, goes to sleep, etc.

so... you're saying your're immune if you have a metal heart?

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

46 minutes ago, Unruly said:

He is helpless against it!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Flit said:

Yes, your coworker is an idiot. Since he "knows chemistry" ask him if he knows why water is wet.

Then have him explain the 6 Changes of State of Water:

http://www.theweatherprediction.com/habyhints2/524/

Gem

IMHO your Co-worker is manifesting Dunnig-Kruger Effect

2 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Just a teeny tiny bit.

Oh No!  It's the Dreaded Pointy Finger of Emphasis.

GEM

2 hours ago, SparrowMarie said:

I think I've figured out how to get to the macro setting on my phone camera! I've only had the phone 6 months of looking around the Google machines. <_< I've also found (what I hope is) a decent looking clip on macro lens to make it even easier. It's only $16 so even if I do get it and it doesn't work I'm not out much.

I recently saw a clip on lens set at the Big Lots Place that was under $10.

Carded, with a small drawstring carry pouch [too small for dice use].

GEM

• Like 5

This evening the world is functioning as it should.

Tag-Along [wife] and I had lasagna Dinner at our favorite local Italian Restaurant.

I avoided Death By Black Forest Cake only by taking a large half or the desert home for later consumption, which will happen right after I finish what is left of my Lasagna [this place serves very generous portions].

Stopped in at FLGS on way home, my special order odd sized sleeves for some old Judges Guild material came in, along with the Catan 5-6 player expansion for Grandkidlets and family.

Sitting here now comfortably digesting and my constant headache is at it's lowest level so far this year.

GEM

• Like 8

Bits of ice are now falling from the sky along with the rain. It hasn't yet begun to freeze on the ground yet, so I guess my coworker was a little bit right about that. But it's supposed to switch from ice and rain to snow in the next hour, and continue snowing for another 2-3 hours, which means it will be freezing soon. He has conceded that when our other coworker shows up we will salt the sidewalks by our lots, which are more important to salt for liability reasons. Slip and fall on the sidewalk is far more actionable than slip and fall(or fender bender) in the parking lot.

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 7

12 minutes ago, Unruly said:

Bits of ice are now falling from the sky along with the rain. It hasn't yet begun to freeze on the ground yet, so I guess my coworker was a little bit right about that. But it's supposed to switch from ice and rain to snow in the next hour, and continue snowing for another 2-3 hours, which means it will be freezing soon. He has conceded that when our other coworker shows up we will salt the sidewalks by our lots, which are more important to salt for liability reasons. Slip and fall on the sidewalk is far more actionable than slip and fall(or fender bender) in the parking lot.

Isn't Ice Falling From the Sky called Sleet?  Or when the weather conditions are just right Hail?

We don't get a whole lot of weather like that in our local area so I'm not up on the most accurate nomenclature.

GEM

• Like 5

Sleet is pretty much frozen rain; hail is chunks of water-rock hurled forth from the steep, cloudy cliffs of the angry gods.

• Like 6
  • Haha 4