Froggy the Great

Randomness XIII: Cognitive Dissonance While You Wait

4 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

last night I accidentally made my own starship disappear.

Our game of full thrust ended up being a starship race around an asteroid belt. since we were short a ship model, a klingon D7 got subbed in as one of the racers, complete with cloaking device. The cloaking device takes the ship off the table, and required me to write all my maneuvers blind from the turn where I turn on the cloak, to the turn that I switch it off. I was in the lead, until I miss counted my turns and left the table at high speed. 

Somewhere there's a lost ship of klingons trying to conquer a random planet or something.

Sounds like a Klingon version of Star Trekkin' in the works.

It's currently 50F. But it's raining hard, the wind is strong, and it feels like it's about 30F because of it. Also, because of how hard it's raining I've been soaked to the bone after only 20 minutes of actual work, most of which has been sitting in a car. So maybe 10 minutes of actual time outside the car. Then, tonight it's supposed to drop down to about 20F, with a sharp drop down to 30F before I leave work. Meaning that all this rain is going to freeze over, and any extra rain will turn to ice and snow as it falls.

It's going to be fun.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

Hey, anyone have suggestions as to how I should label minis from Imperial Assault and Kingdom Death: Monster in my spreadsheet? For regular minis, I have the following:

Brand - Line - SKU - Name - # Owned - #Unpainted - # painted by others - # painted in 2017 - # painted in 2018

So, for example, 

Reaper - Bones - 91014 - Deadlands Noir: Grifter - 1 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 0

But I'm worried about SKU for the board game minis...

Not really sure if it helps but I found a spreadsheet that lists all the Bones broken down by which KS they were a part of (and the ones that weren't included in a KS) that has a lot of similar fields. I can share it if you're interested.

Also, finished up Ellen Stone.

• Like 8

One of my coworkers is an absolute idiot.

Among other things I've heard him tell people regarding other points of science and biology(certain arguments some politicians made over divisive feminine issues), he's just told me that salt doesn't do anything at all if it's below 32F outside. When I tried to explain to him the chemistry of it, he told me he knows chemistry and that I was wrong. Apparently he believes that salt doesn't lower the freezing point of water, and that road salt doesn't melt existing ice. He also believes that nothing will freeze if the ambient air temperature is above 32F, despite the fact that it will be 34F with sustained winds of 12mph and gusts of 20mph. Because I guess wind doesn't help make water cold the way it makes people cold. Or something.

So he won't let me run the salt spreader through our parking lots until he sees snow actually starting to build up. Because despite the fact that ice is supposed to be literally falling from the sky for two hours before any regular snow falls, it apparently isn't going to freeze on the ground. He also says that our boss told him not to spread salt, but I talked to our department head before he left for the day and he agreed with me that if the weather goes the way it's supposed to we should spread salt early. My coworker doesn't believe me.

As soon as I see salt trucks on the road, which I guarantee I will by the time frame that I suggested we salt our lots, I'm going to point it out. Because the road crews know more than anyone how to handle this kind of crap. Pre-emptive salting goes a long, long way.

• Like 8
  • Confused 6

1 hour ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Hmmm, Megan wants to go back to taking self defense courses - which I heartily approve of.

But she wants me to stay out of it - seems that seeing my knee swell up like a balloon and turn purple was not her idea of fun.... (Not nearly as bad as it looked and sounded, the horrible *CRUNCH* was accompanied by a feeling of relief as my knee regained a good deal of mobility - the crunch was crepitus, but the swelling was caused by an old adhesion tearing free.)

The Auld Grump - so, no more crash test dummy for me, I guess.

More than that honey.

The doctor showed me where your kneecap had been cracked years ago, and said what he thought had caused it.

The kneecap may not have broken, but you came damn close to it at some point.

Adhesions happen for a REASON. It means that you had scar tissue building across several different tissues, tendon to muscle lining.

You do NOT need to show how tough you are, you were almost CRIPPLED before I even got to meet you.

I don't think I have ever been as mad at you as I was that night, even thinking about it now makes me angry.

• Like 9
  • Confused 1

My player's first goal in the jungles of Chult in Tomb of Annihilation is to speak to the naga. Good thing there is a pretty nice naga in Bones 3....but too bad I had to cancel our session. Weather advisory makes driving I-94 a no-go.

and I was looking forward to them gambling to try and gain money...

• Like 5

My weather app is dumb. It says it's two different temperatures, which are pretty wildly different. The top image is the main screen, and the bottom is the "more details" part if you click on the current temperature. 

Screenshot_2018-01-12-17-50-41.thumb.png.8e5bac2f985981fdb17fa21449557fa7.pngScreenshot_2018-01-12-17-50-48.thumb.png.c073defc636a743c77d9fc78efe02eea.png

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Crowley said:

Freedom!! 

Now I get to go home and see just how muddy the girls will get on our walk.

Is this open for betting?::D:

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Goulash tonight, apparently. Mr. Thorne is frying bacon ends and hacking up meat. Kitchen smells like noms, and I have fled. I helped, now I am out the way. ^^;

Wonder if we're having it with Spätzle or dumplings...

• Like 7

44 minutes ago, Unruly said:

Among other things I've heard him tell people regarding other points of science and biology(certain arguments some politicians made over divisive feminine issues), he's just told me that salt doesn't do anything at all if it's below 32F outside. When I tried to explain to him the chemistry of it, he told me he knows chemistry and that I was wrong. Apparently he believes that salt doesn't lower the freezing point of water, and that road salt doesn't melt existing ice. He also believes that nothing will freeze if the ambient air temperature is above 32F, despite the fact that it will be 34F with sustained winds of 12mph and gusts of 20mph. Because I guess wind doesn't help make water cold the way it makes people cold. Or something.

So he won't let me run the salt spreader through our parking lots until he sees snow actually starting to build up. Because despite the fact that ice is supposed to be literally falling from the sky for two hours before any regular snow falls, it apparently isn't going to freeze on the ground. He also says that our boss told him not to spread salt, but I talked to our department head before he left for the day and he agreed with me that if the weather goes the way it's supposed to we should spread salt early. My coworker doesn't believe me.

As soon as I see salt trucks on the road, which I guarantee I will by the time frame that I suggested we salt our lots, I'm going to point it out. Because the road crews know more than anyone how to handle this kind of crap. Pre-emptive salting goes a long, long way.

There are certain forms of ignorance that just can't be fixed.

The best you can do is try to ignore it/them, unless it becomes necessary to take action to mitigate the effects of the ignorance in your own life.

GEM

Edited by Green Eyed Monster
fingers can't spell correctly
  • Like 5

One of my friends sculpted this beholder. Another friend painted it. It's 100% custom. As far as I know, it's the first thing that the guy has sculpted.

It's way better than I could do.

FB_IMG_1515791631048.jpg

• Like 16

Whooooo, my dragon came in a stealth box, if that counts.

I'd post some sort of update, but I'm supposed to be getting ready to go out to the year end party, which is at dinner theater....  ...Because apparently according to some (well, I suppose myself) it takes me FOREVER to get dressed for such an event.  But... I'm not dressing up, not even doing anything crazy with my hair, just making it look...  Kind of not "wore a toque all day" look :P

If I have energy left when I get back, I'll update the double rainbow dragons of doom thread :P

Lava Orange may not be close to my favourite shade of orange, but it sure is pretty.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Unruly said:

Yes, your coworker is an idiot. Since he "knows chemistry" ask him if he knows why water is wet.

Edited by Flit
  • Like 8
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Whooooo, my dragon came in a stealth box, if that counts.

I'd post some sort of update, but I'm supposed to be getting ready to go out to the year end party, which is at dinner theater....  ...Because apparently according to some (well, I suppose myself) it takes me FOREVER to get dressed for such an event.  But... I'm not dressing up, not even doing anything crazy with my hair, just making it look...  Kind of not "wore a toque all day" look :P

If I have energy left when I get back, I'll update the double rainbow dragons of doom thread :P

Lava Orange may not be close to my favourite shade of orange, but it sure is pretty.

Glad to hear he landed safely and avoided both the minions of the Malfeans and hungry birds.

• Like 7