Froggy the Great

Randomness XIII: Cognitive Dissonance While You Wait

Finally finished cataloging my minis.

I will sell about 53...

Still more than 300 left..

• Like 4

1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

I got the reply from badger airbrush, asking me which one I want. And I have no idea. :blink: What is a good beginner airbrush for painting larger minis and terrain? I'd like to use it for things as small as chibis, but as big as Tianot.

The Patriot 105 is the one a lot of people recommend for beginners and the big stuff. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

I got the reply from badger airbrush, asking me which one I want. And I have no idea. :blink: What is a good beginner airbrush for painting larger minis and terrain? I'd like to use it for things as small as chibis, but as big as Tianot.

Patriot 105 was recommended to me.

I ended up going with the Patriot 105 XTR and a Sotar 20/20 2f. Decided to get two while I could get that price.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Wyvernfire said:

It usually goes really cold rain that may or may not freeze on the ground; freezing rain, basically tiny raindrops of ice which either melt on the ground, melt and refreeze as a sheet of ice, or pile up in little pellets; sleet, half melted big clumps of former fluffy snow and water; then snow; Hail is bigger hunks of ice falling. Wintery mix is when Mother Nature can't decide how to send down the water and sends a mix of two or more options.

Does your mail carrier need to use your driveway to get to the mailbox? If so then you need to shovel, if not nope;  but I second Unruly, half melted and refrozen skating rink driveways are no fun.

Mail box is at the end of the driveway. So nope, I’m all good there. (And I had thought of that.)

2 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Yes, you do.  It's good for you; it builds character.::D:

I have character, actually quite a lot of them. Many of them still on paper in my 14 year old Hans writing. 

What I need is something that’ll put hair on my chest, I don’t have any of that. 

So so why did the husband have to go to Romania just when we got our first snow?

(Ripley the cat was all excited about how weird and alien outside looked last night, she kept meowing at me to come look.)

Edited by Thes Hunter
  • Like 4
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Old cat keeps peeing on the floor :sigh: 

Have you tried getting a litter box with a lower lip? That worked with our older cat, something about if it hurts to get into the box (older, stiffer bones) they won't use it.

• Like 5

I think my next D&D character will be a cleric who's all the time singing hymns. Off-season and obnoxiously and at inopportune moments. Thinking of adapting good-old fashioned songs from the Baptist hymnal for it.

I have the (lack of) skill to pull this off, but I don't know if I've the gumption actually to do it at the table.

• Like 8

That Anvil documentary was spot-on perfect. Whole time sitting there watching it, couldn't tell if it was a ripoff of Spinal Tap or a real actual thing. Good stuff.

• Like 4

Morning all! Husband is off to his 4E game today so that gives me plenty of time to get started back up on Dagon. I'm going to attempt some patina-ed bronze on the base. I've done it once before on the Kraken that I painted like a couple years ago now so I have no idea what tutorial I used.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, redambrosia said:

The Patriot 105 is supposed to be a great bush for priming, sealing and terrain.

2 hours ago, Aryanun said:

I ended up going with the Patriot 105 XTR and a Sotar 20/20 2f. Decided to get two while I could get that price.

The Patriot Extreme is also supposed to be a supper fine detail brush.

Pretty sure the order goes 105, Sotar, Krome in order of least to greatest detail with the 105 extreme falling more in line with the Sotar and Krome.  There was a chart that I am looking for with a list of all of the specs.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

Mail box is at the end of the driveway. So nope, I’m all good there. (And I had thought of that.)

I have character, actually quite a lot of them. Many of them still on paper in my 14 year old Hans writing. 

What I need is something that’ll put hair on my chest, I don’t have any of that. 

So so why did the husband have to go to Romania just when we got our first snow?

(Ripley the cat was all excited about how weird and alien outside looked last night, she kept meowing at me to come look.)

So, what I'm getting out of all that is  'I'm scared'  ::D:::P:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:
4 hours ago, redambrosia said:

The Patriot 105 is supposed to be a great bush for priming, sealing and terrain.

3 hours ago, Aryanun said:

Pretty sure the order goes 105, Sotar, Krome in order of least to greatest detail with the 105 extreme falling more in line with the Sotar and Krome.  There was a chart that I am looking for with a list of all of the specs.

I got the Krome and the Patriot XTR.. My other email address has a reply waiting .. thinking about the regular Patriot 105 from that one since I probably should have gotten that instead of the XTR..

• Like 5

Did a quick thought experiment, and my current tentative cart doubled in cost.... ^_^;;;;;;;  I took the triads I had in the cart, then added them into a BYOPS...  Then wondered if I could cram all of the triads I had into a 108 BYOPS alongside getting the rest of the Bones and HD set...  Turns out I mostly could, Managed to squeeze them all into such, with five triads (Liners, Washes I, Inks I, Additives, Additives II) and a single solo bottle (grey primer) left out by themselves in the cart.

For some reason it's tempting, quite possibly due to having always wanting to own a "full set of paints from a company", but the biggest question is it's a good idea or not.  Colours all look like ones I'd probably use over time...  Hmmmm.

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Did a quick thought experiment, and my current tentative cart doubled in cost.... ^_^;;;;;;;  I took the triads I had in the cart, then added them into a BYOPS...  Then wondered if I could cram all of the triads I had into a 108 BYOPS alongside getting the rest of the Bones and HD set...  Turns out I mostly could, Managed to squeeze them all into such, with five triads (Liners, Washes I, Inks I, Additives, Additives II) and a single solo bottle (grey primer).

For some reason it's tempting, quite possibly due to having always wanting to own a "full set of paints from a company", but the biggest question is it's a good idea or not.  Colours all look like ones I'd probably use over time...  Hmmmm.

As somebody who owns multiple full lines of paint, I can tell you that no matter how many paints you own you will default to about 30 very common paints, another 20 or so useful ones, and a smattering of "nice to have when you need it". 

That said, it should be noted that my paint lines tend to be older both literally and in style so there are more weird colours in them that never get used. 

For Reaper, the best way to build a "full line" paint set outside of buying all of it is to get the Bones and HD ones first since they together comprise essentially an old-school line - only they don't have any non-useful colours (their powers combined, in my opinion, make them the Greatest Paint Set Ever Made - there's not one colour out of place in the lot).  Then you can add MSP, either singles or triads, to build off this core.  That will give you the effect of having a full line without the downside of a lot of unused colours. 

As an example, in the 14 years I have had it I have only once used old reaper pro paint "Plains".  And then only because I deliberately set out to find something I could use it on. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, redambrosia said:

The Patriot 105 is generally recommended as one of the best beginner airbrushes out there. Just be very careful with the needle. There aren't any guards on the regulator, so if you don't keep and use the rubber cap when you're not using the airbrush it's very easily to accidentally bend the needle tip.

4 hours ago, Aryanun said:

I'm going to be getting at least a Patriot Extreme and a Krome. I'm debating getting a second Patriot 105 as well, to see if the one I currently have actually does have some sort of manufacturing defect/damage or if I'm just an idiot that can't put things together correctly.

1 hour ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

From what I've seen, the Patriot Extreme is still a Patriot. It still has the 0.3mm needle/nozzle of the 105 as it's finest, while the Krome and the Sotar both have a 0.21mm as their finest, if I remember correctly. Where the Patriot Extreme differs most is in the trigger, which is supposed to be better, and by adding the airflow control valve at the nozzle, which gives more spray control.

I think it's supposed to be sort of a middle ground between the fine detail airbrushes and the original Patriot.

• Like 8