Froggy the Great

Randomness XIII: Cognitive Dissonance While You Wait

18 minutes ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

As somebody who owns multiple full lines of paint, I can tell you that no matter how many paints you own you will default to about 30 very common paints, another 20 or so useful ones, and a smattering of "nice to have when you need it". 

That said, it should be noted that my paint lines tend to be older both literally and in style so there are more weird colours in them that never get used. 

For Reaper, the best way to build a "full line" paint set outside of buying all of it is to get the Bones and HD ones first since they together comprise essentially an old-school line - only they don't have any non-useful colours (their powers combined, in my opinion, make them the Greatest Paint Set Ever Made - there's not one colour out of place in the lot).  Then you can add MSP, either singles or triads, to build off this core.  That will give you the effect of having a full line without the downside of a lot of unused colours. 

As an example, in the 14 years I have had it I have only once used old reaper pro paint "Plains".  And then only because I deliberately set out to find something I could use it on. 

Definitely glad to see such, and your advice mirrors pretty much what I was contemplating doing...  Filling out the Bones and HD lines as I already have some of their paints, and then adding in the MSP colours on an "as needed and wanted" basis.  Looking through the various available colours definitely gives confidence that I could paint pretty much any of the minis (and armies) I have, plus are on my wishlists.  Triads were the main thing I was thinking of going with for the MSP stuff over single bottles, simply because there's the comfort of all three working together, and I can then later on use those colours for other effects too.  Bones and HD have such lovely colours too ^_^

That same "you'll only use so many" kind of thing is also why a part of me pretty much downsized from wanting all of Secret Weapons washes and acrylic weather paints to a much smaller number number (basically wave 1 of the weathering acrylics, and five to seven of the washes).  It's also why despite wanting (and almost buying) Army Painter's Mega Paint Set III, I held off, because I wasn't certain if I'd actually wind up properly using 1/4-1/3rd of them - then again, my true reason actually was a good one (Learn to paint kits), at least in my eyes ^_^;;;

• Like 5

My wife's grandmother Ruth passed away last night at the age of 96 after a long decline.

She and her husband were some of the first white people in their area of Niger in the 1950s where they built the first hospital in the area.  He was a surgeon, she was his support, and raised 6 kids there.

She was one of the sweetest, kindest, and strongest women I have ever known.  She was, and remains, one of my heroes.  I was privileged to have seen her at both Thanksgiving and Christmas this past year.

• Sad 20

Painted today. Managed to finally declare a Savannah-class aircraft carrier from Dystopian Wars finished after 5 or 6 years of trying to find something I liked. It's a big relief to get such a large figure (~6") out of the Shelf of Shame and into the display cabinet.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Sorry for your loss, Froggy. Glad you had the recent time with her.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

Painted today. Managed to finally declare a Savannah-class aircraft carrier from Dystopian Wars finished after 5 or 6 years of trying to find something I liked. It's a big relief to get such a large figure (~6") out of the Shelf of Shame and into the display cabinet.

Had you heard Spartan Games is no more? (Fellow collector here: Mostly Japan and Russia...)

12 minutes ago, Aryanun said:

I swear cell phone salespeople are as bad as used car dealers...

Worse I say...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I agree about cell phone salespeople vs used car salespeople...  Used car salespeople at least stop trying to push a feature after you've said no the first three times, unlike cell phone providers who keep trying to push the "latest and greatest" phone that doesn't actually appeal to most, or worse, the sales guy who feels one SPECIFIC brand (or worse, phone operating system) is the best, and has that holier than thou attitude because you want something else.

I personally like larger phones, but I have gigantic thumbs of doom, and since phones are fully touchscreen (if you ignore the select few still existing Blackberry phones) I kind of like that extra space, especially when watching YouTube videos or such ^_^

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Aryanun said:

This is why i very rarely answer my phone unless I recognize the number. If its important they will leave a voicemail.

• Like 4

On 1/12/2018 at 11:02 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

last night I accidentally made my own starship disappear.

Our game of full thrust ended up being a starship race around an asteroid belt. since we were short a ship model, a klingon D7 got subbed in as one of the racers, complete with cloaking device. The cloaking device takes the ship off the table, and required me to write all my maneuvers blind from the turn where I turn on the cloak, to the turn that I switch it off. I was in the lead, until I miss counted my turns and left the table at high speed. 

Somewhere there's a lost ship of klingons trying to conquer a random planet or something.

Doesn't that describe all Klingons, though?

Makes me glad I play on hex maps. Cloak fleets are weird enough like that, I can at least write down their ending hex every turn, so I don't have to backtrack more than one turn's plot when writing down my next move.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Flit said:

This is why i very rarely answer my phone unless I recognize the number. If its important they will leave a voicemail.

Wasn't a phone call. Mom went into her provider to upgrade and they were pushing her on a phone twice the cost of what she wanted to pay.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

8 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Accept - Metal Heart

Fun Fact - I actually saw them during the 1985 Metal Heart tour when I was in junior high... Entirely by coincidence.

They were performing outdoors during the middle of the day at Rocky Point Amusement Park in Providence, RI on a day my family happened to be at the park.

It was pretty much one of my first concerts ever - and I managed to hold onto the t-shirt from the show for more than ten years, until it finally fell apart...

2 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

As an example, in the 14 years I have had it I have only once used old reaper pro paint "Plains".  And then only because I deliberately set out to find something I could use it on. 

That was actually one of my favorite colors back in the day, and I ran through my whole jar of it...

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Aryanun said:

As someone who has worked in customer service and had to clean up the messes from their falsehoods, I can confirm that this is true.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

So earlier I was hungry, and dumped a can of baked beans into a can of beef stew and nuked it. And then came down here to check my email. It's now an hour later, and the bowl is still sitting upstairs in the microwave.

I have failed at fooding. And adulting, as I had a bunch of stuff to do after I ate. I'm pretty sure I'll get around to eating, now that I've remembered it, but it's going to be tough getting everything else done tonight that I wanted to.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 6
  • Haha 4