Froggy the Great

Randomness XIII: Cognitive Dissonance While You Wait

Got some painting done. I've almost finished Dagon's base. I dug deep through my bookmarks and found the tutorial I was looking for. The patina/verdigris(I'm really not sure which is correct terminology.) came out very nicely. I've got pics in my WIP thread. Now kind of stuck with where I want to go next. So close to being done though. I think.

Also, I think I've decided I'm going to open an Etsy shop but I've got tons to do before I can actually open it but I am hopeful.

• Like 6

I bought 9lbs of onions. I've used 2 onions for some hamburger helper, which I realized as I was cooking it is not the correct taco one, and I'm probably going to use the rest for a massive batch of caramelized onions. I'm gonna do that tomorrow, when I will also use my brand new fancified crock pot to get some pulled pork going as its first use. A few onions may get thrown into that as well, or I lay just use the remains of a bag of frozen, pre-diced onions for it.

• Like 5
  • Confused 2

Good god that's a lot of onions. I mean, onions are awesome, but geez. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

15 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

So earlier I was hungry, and dumped a can of baked beans into a can of beef stew and nuked it. And then came down here to check my email. It's now an hour later, and the bowl is still sitting upstairs in the microwave.

I have failed at fooding. And adulting, as I had a bunch of stuff to do after I ate. I'm pretty sure I'll get around to eating, now that I've remembered it, but it's going to be tough getting everything else done tonight that I wanted to.

It's ok. I did something similar today. I was trying to hobby but technology got in the way and ruined my mood (I think the printer may be dead) and I got hungry. I texted Mr Flit (who is at a meeting) to bring me home a frozen pizza on his way home. In better news I have resumed hobbying until pizza  arrives.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

Good god that's a lot of onions. I mean, onions are awesome, but geez. 

Ever made proper caramelized onions? With the butter, and the hours of cooking and scraping, and the delicious smells? You always think you've made enough, but then suddenly they're all gone as soon as you want to use them. I'm gonna make a big pot, then freeze them so that I can save them for when I make Japanese curry rice. Or for whenever I just feel like eating some plain caramelized onions. Because they're that good.

Seriously. They come out looking a dark toffee, almost chocolate color and they're so freaking delicious...

• Like 9

I haven't made caramelized onions. I saute onions with just about everything I toss in the pan though. Cooking onions do smell amazing. 

• Like 5

Try caramelizing them sometime. It's not hard, it's just time consuming. All you need is a pot, some sliced onions, butter, a tiny bit of water, and the ability to cook at low heat for a couple hours. The water just gets used to deglaze the pot every now and again, so that the delicious fond gets mixed in with the cooking onions. And if you wanna get fancy or try something different, you can use other stuff, like balsamic vinegar or bourbon, to deglaze instead of water and give the flavor a little twist.

And you can use caramelized onions for everything...

• Like 10

2 hours ago, TGP said:

Had you heard Spartan Games is no more? (Fellow collector here: Mostly Japan and Russia...)

Yes, I did know that, and promptly forgot. Still, Warcradle/Wayland Games has the IP, so a lot of the stuff should return. The whole line was sad really. I'd go to the FLGS near work, and fret about buying yet another DW/FA vehicle on clearance. Then I'd come back two weeks later and the rest of the stuff that was on clearance before was still there. Got so much stuff for half price, and I'd been reluctant to paint any of it since I hadn't finished that one vehicle I started with! Now that it's done, I've got an idea! Quick inventory!

Spoilered for length:

Dystopian Wars:

Large Landing Barge (generic)
Brunel Class Mobile Airfield (Britannia)
Kagoshima Class Mobile Airfield (Blazing Sun; wife was born in Kagoshima)
Kiyohime Class Assult Carrier (Blazing Sun)
Bombers x3 (Blazing Sun)
Sky Fortress (Blazing Sun)
Onryo Class Scout Gyro x2 (Blazing Sun)
Atticus Class Medium Walker x6 (Antarctica)
Rudnitsky Class Repair Ship (Russian)

Firestorm Armada:

Falchion Class Mk II Carrier (Dindrenzi)
Trident Class Destroyer x4 (Dindrenzi)
Gladius Class Gunship (Dindrenzi)
Argus Class Carrier (Zenian)
Tashak Class Destroyer x2 (Zenian)
Arual Class Assault Cruiser x2 (Kurak)
Spur Class Heavy Cruiser (Syndicate)
Razorthorn Class Battleship (Terran)
Aegis Shield Cruiser x2 (Terran)
Auditor Class Gunship x2 (OmniDyne)
Executioner Class Mk II Cruiser (Directorate)
Dindrenzi Planetary Defence Group (1x Basion Battle Station; 3x Pilum Defence Platforms)
Battlefield Objective Set (8x cool space related objects)

Edited by Pegazus
  • Like 4

22 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

I just don't think he gets why I am upset.

And if I ask him he will TELL me that he doesn't understand, and that he is sorry.

And he will MEAN it!

Sometimes it is like trying to have an argument with Data. :rolleyes:

I take it back.

He DID get it.

He just botched his attempt to reassure me.:rolleyes:

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Unruly said:

My youngest cat is one of them there sex poivoits, I tells ya. It's horrifyin'! I don't wanna live near one of them disgustin' people!

Every other week she's trying to seduce my neutered cat. I really need to find the time to get her to the vet and get her spayed, because her antics while in heat have gotten annoying. I guess she sees me as a male cat as well, because she'll come running up to me and throw herself into position in front of me as often as she does it to my other cat. I keep accidentally kicking her right in her butt because she does it while she's right in front of my foot and I'm not paying attention. One thing I'm walking, next thing I hear "mrow" and then PUNT! She gets a foot right in the lady bits.

My roommate said that earlier he thought my neutered cat was finally gonna get involved. He said they came running down into his room, Rose assumed the position, Ed assumed the position, and then he said Ed just looked confused for a second and scampered off. Which led to us making jokes about Ed's neutered status, as we immature little boys are wont to do.

Our neutered male cat seduced my mum's neutered male cat.

Which had kittens.

We have both changed vets after that.

Mum's cat is big and fluffy and was an adult cat when she got "him".

She didn't think to check.

I blame Grump.::P:

Purple does not work on the Fire.

Edited by PaganMegan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

Spent the day doing a first pass at painting goliath gangers, armor turned out darker than I planned so I'll need to try and highlight it back up.

Then experimented with what I can cook without onions, garlic, butter, and a bunch of other stuff that I'm not supposed to eat anymore. Mashed sweet potato with chilli, ginger and cinnamon. Not bad, though I used too much ginger, also didn't chop it small enough.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

Our neutered male cat seduced my mum's neutered male cat.

Which had kittens.

We have both changed vets after that.

Mum's cat is big and fluffy and was an adult cat when she got 'him'.

She didn't think to check.

When I first got Ed I thought he was a she, because I didn't bother to look and took my sister's word for it. I still named "her" Ed, because "she" was named after Edward Wong Hau Pepilu Tivrusky IV(aka Radical Edward) from Cowboy Bebop. Who is a female character. The vet didn't correct me for my first 2 visits, and only on the 3rd visit when I got a different vet did he go "wait a second... this is a boy..."

But he's very much neutered. The most interest I've seen him give Rose is a few sniffs, despite all of her frequent advances. Not only that, but this is like the 5th time she's gone into heat, because cars just constantly go into heat until they're pregnant, so obviously there's no baby making going on. I kind of don't want to get Rose spayed, though, because I don't want her to change her personality. Ed was super active and fun before he was neutered, but then I took away half of his hormones so that he wouldn't start peeing on everything and he became lazy and doesn't want to play anymore. Rose is also super active and playful right now, and I don't want her to go lazy too.

Also, a friend of mine shared a Facebook post from a local animal shelter where she lives. It was trying to find a "forever home" for a pet pig. I wonder if it counts as a forever home if I adopt the pig just to make dinner. And lunch. And breakfast. I mean, technically it would have gone home with me for the rest of its life...

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

Then experimented with what I can cook without onions, garlic, butter, and a bunch of other stuff that I'm not supposed to eat anymore. Mashed sweet potato with chilli, ginger and cinnamon. Not bad, though I used too much ginger, also didn't chop it small enough.

I get the no butter, and saturated fat stuff, but garlic and onions is unusual unless they react with meds or alergies or somthing.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

I take it back.

He DID get it.

He just botched his attempt to reassure me.:rolleyes:

So, he failed his Bluff check???:lol:

• Haha 3