Froggy the Great

Randomness XIII: Cognitive Dissonance While You Wait

17 hours ago, Wyvernfire said:

Have you tried getting a litter box with a lower lip? That worked with our older cat, something about if it hurts to get into the box (older, stiffer bones) they won't use it.

I don't think that's it yet. He has no problem jumping up on things. This is him on a chair he just jumped into:

IMG_1508.thumb.JPG.3cc6f0352e7f2889e05f9bc7b936d192.JPG

I actually watched him poop in the box, then jump out and pee on the floor. He's such a little poop.

10 hours ago, Unruly said:

Rose is also super active and playful right now, and I don't want her to go lazy too.

I think it just depends on the cat. Both our cats stayed active and playful after they were "fixed". In fact, up until about a year ago, he was very playful. He's just too tired now to be playful ::(: 

• Like 6

43 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

I think it just depends on the cat. Both our cats stayed active and playful after they were "fixed". In fact, up until about a year ago, he was very playful. He's just too tired now to be playful ::(: 

Oh, I know different cats react differently to being fixed, but it's still true that you're also seriously messing with their hormones. And as someone who suffers from a mild hormone dysfunction myself, I can attest that when I forget my meds for a couple days my activity level and mood change.

Currently still working on the repair install of Win10. It's done with the primary install, and now it's just slowly churning through updates. Because even though the Windows Media Creation Tool just downloads an image of a Windows install disc directly from Microsoft, apparently it isn't kept updated with recent patches. I think the last time it was updated was with the Creator's Update from back in the spring. Which means it has the big fall update to go through, as well as all the little ones in between.

Also, I spoilered this because it just me using predictive text. I thought I'd see where it was going since the first thing it suggested to me was the word "offworld." Since I haven't used the word on my phone anytime in memory, I figured why not. Apparently it just picked it up from me quoting Pingo earlier in the week. Don't know why it went into a Joker loop, though. I can't remember the last time I've used that phrase.

Offworld Designs prints and sells fun t-shirts at science fiction conventions. It's missing a totally kickass wizard. I am grinning like the Joker. I am grinning like the Joker. I am grinning like the Joker.

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 7

16 hours ago, Froggy the Great said:

My wife's grandmother Ruth passed away last night at the age of 96 after a long decline.

She and her husband were some of the first white people in their area of Niger in the 1950s where they built the first hospital in the area.  He was a surgeon, she was his support, and raised 6 kids there.

She was one of the sweetest, kindest, and strongest women I have ever known.  She was, and remains, one of my heroes.  I was privileged to have seen her at both Thanksgiving and Christmas this past year.

My sympathies!

A respectable age, but still sad!

10 hours ago, Aryanun said:

Never.

Ever.

Split. Up. The. Party.

1605da51b93088dd947cf63f183d0622--fantas

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 12

13 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

Fear of work is not the same thing as being scared. :lol:

Actually it went fine. I even survived it. A good work out does a body good sometimes. Now I have the pride of having a nice clean dry driveway... while noticing the neighbors have a new sheet of ice for their driveway since they did not shovel and let the snow drift down to a thin layer which then melted in the sun, but not enough to run off before the more frigid temps rolled in this evening. 

So... I guess... I'm proud of myself.

Even if it did cut into my Skyrim time. I need to get this game done and played so I can move onto other things. :lol:

Good for you! :winkthumbs:

...and by other things, you mean painting, right?::D:

• Like 6

Well, the Windows repair finished about an hour ago. I had enough time to read all the way through Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone before everything was all said and done.

• Like 7

51 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

Good for you! :winkthumbs:

...and by other things, you mean painting, right?::D:

Actually, Yes. :lol: 

• Like 10

17 hours ago, SparrowMarie said:

I was going to paint more but there is now a cat sleeping in the way. I don't have the heart to move her. 

You are at this point morally obligated to find something else to do.

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

My "I need to run to the pharmacy real quick" has turned into a grocery store run involving two stores.

And it may snow - and its cold enough for snow to stick. So out into the cold I go.

• Like 6

All these snow/cold horror stories this year. We've had 1 snow storm that stuck but evaporated/washed away when we had a couple days of rain. Now (not now of course) the temps are in the 40s, hit 50 the other day & bare grass in the yards. Heck I may go priming later today, as I'm not sure I'll watch the Saints playoff game or not. I figured I didn't watch last week's victory & I don't want to jinx em.....

• Like 7

15 hours ago, eldamir said:

At least you're doing eyes! I'm still at the 'slop an eye-colored blob on and wish I had steady hands and a magnifier' stage...

I don't even attempt to do fancy colored eyes. Just a layer of black, layer of white, then pupils, if you can call them that.

12 hours ago, Zink said:

Me too and a lot of my minis just have dark shading where their eyes are. I'm trying to do it better but... I think out of the hundreds of minis I've painted a handful or so have ok eyes.

The most decent eyes I have are on larger figures, like the giants for instance. Otherwise it's totally hit or miss. I like putting eye patches on some things for this reason.

ETA: We have a planned six month time gap in the game between the last two sessions since this is the 3rd of 4 "seasons" that we will be doing. Apparently, one of the members decided to split the party during this time. I'll know more later.

Edited by SparrowMarie
  • Like 5

16 hours ago, Aryanun said:

Never.

Ever.

Split. Up. The. Party.

Unless you're a Gygaxian DM, in which case it's your primary task. 

Lure them with shinies, then pick them off one by one.  If your players aren't scared of treasure, you're doing it wrong. 

"Can't loot, chest will eat me.  Can't loot, chest will eat me.  Can't loot, chest will eat me."

• Like 5
  • Haha 10

1 hour ago, haldir said:

All these snow/cold horror stories this year. We've had 1 snow storm that stuck but evaporated/washed away when we had a couple days of rain. Now (not now of course) the temps are in the 40s, hit 50 the other day & bare grass in the yards. Heck I may go priming later today, as I'm not sure I'll watch the Saints playoff game or not. I figured I didn't watch last week's victory & I don't want to jinx em.....

As it turns out our chance of snow has pretty much evaporated for today at least. It is colder than we usually get, so any frozen stuff is going to stick. Typically when it snows or ices here it only lasts a day or two. We aren't used to high temps below freezing and lows in the teens for more than a day or two at a time.

• Like 5

Related to the above: use mimics.  A lot.  A whole lot.  Mimics are great for inducing paranoia.  That's how one party I know started to get clever about using Frisky Chest to try and root out mimics (since it would fail if cast on a mimic).  And that's how they chose the wrong chest once and activated the mimic next to it, which immediately took off down the hall with the other chest in pursuit. 

And that's how we wound up with a tiefling surfing a frisky chested bucking table on a flying carpet chasing a chest chasing a mimic down a mine.  And everything was going great until the mine carts. 

And at the end of the day, all anyone could say was that we should have listened to the wisecracking, sarcastic horse. 

Edited by buglips*the*goblin
  • Like 4
  • Haha 13

2 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

Related to the above: use mimics.  A lot.  A whole lot.  Mimics are great for inducing paranoia.  That's how one party I know started to get clever about using Frisky Chest to try and root out mimics (since it would fail if cast on a mimic).  And that's how they chose the wrong chest once and activated the mimic next to it, which immediately took off down the hall with the other chest in pursuit. 

And that's how we wound up with a tiefling surfing a frisky chested bucking table on a flying carpet chasing a chest chasing a mimic down a mine.  And everything was going great until the mine carts. 

Was one of the mine carts a mimic as well? If not, you're doing it wrong. The doors should also be mimics. And the windows. Curtains, too, occasionally. And every so often, you have to hit them with the false floor mimic...

And at the end of the day, all anyone could say was that we should have listened to the wisecracking, sarcastic horse. 

Well, duh! Everyone knows you're always supposed to listen to the sarcastic horses. It's the serious ones you have to stay away from.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Yep, 9lbs of onions was too much. I cut up 5lbs, and they filled my pot. So I've got 5lb of onions and two whole sticks of butter that are in the process of being caramelized. The onions have been going for about 10-15 minutes now, and they're at the point where all their natural water is cooking out of them. Now they only take up about half of the pot, and in another 15-20 minutes they'll start to brown really nicely. Hopefully. This is the biggest batch of them that I've ever made, so I don't know just how it's going to go.

I also have almost 6lbs of pork being slow cooked for pulled pork sandwiches. That's been going for about an hour now, so by the time I'm ready for dinner it should be ready to be pulled.  Then I've got some store bought coleslaw in the fridge, some Italian rolls, and I'll have some delicious caramelized onions to make things even better.

For now, though, I'm eating leftover hamburger helper...

• Like 11