Froggy the Great

Randomness XIII: Cognitive Dissonance While You Wait

2 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

Related to the above: use mimics.  A lot.  A whole lot.  Mimics are great for inducing paranoia.  That's how one party I know started to get clever about using Frisky Chest to try and root out mimics (since it would fail if cast on a mimic).  And that's how they chose the wrong chest once and activated the mimic next to it, which immediately took off down the hall with the other chest in pursuit. 

And that's how we wound up with a tiefling surfing a frisky chested bucking table on a flying carpet chasing a chest chasing a mimic down a mine.  And everything was going great until the mine carts. 

Was one of the mine carts a mimic as well? If not, you're doing it wrong. The doors should also be mimics. And the windows. Curtains, too, occasionally. And every so often, you have to hit them with the false floor mimic...

And at the end of the day, all anyone could say was that we should have listened to the wisecracking, sarcastic horse. 

Well, duh! Everyone knows you're always supposed to listen to the sarcastic horses. It's the serious ones you have to stay away from.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Yep, 9lbs of onions was too much. I cut up 5lbs, and they filled my pot. So I've got 5lb of onions and two whole sticks of butter that are in the process of being caramelized. The onions have been going for about 10-15 minutes now, and they're at the point where all their natural water is cooking out of them. Now they only take up about half of the pot, and in another 15-20 minutes they'll start to brown really nicely. Hopefully. This is the biggest batch of them that I've ever made, so I don't know just how it's going to go.

I also have almost 6lbs of pork being slow cooked for pulled pork sandwiches. That's been going for about an hour now, so by the time I'm ready for dinner it should be ready to be pulled.  Then I've got some store bought coleslaw in the fridge, some Italian rolls, and I'll have some delicious caramelized onions to make things even better.

For now, though, I'm eating leftover hamburger helper...

• Like 11

All this talk of mimics reminds me of something totally different in a campaign that happened to our group...  Everyone's out for a walk in a tooootally safe looking forest, down a long straight path that leads into a perfectly innocent looking clearing, and of course the DM springs a spot check on us.  Ranger almost critically fails it (was a 2...  of all the times to roll a 2...), nobody else notices anything, and my character, the barbarian who according to the DM is ~trying~ to read a book aptly labelled "how to kill things without getting blood everywhere for dummies" (or something equally silly, forgot the actual title), and only paying enough attention to make sure he doesn't walk into another party member (or a tree).....  Rolls a natural 20.

DM just looks at me while the ranger glaaaares at me, and simply asks "can I control your character for just a second?" while grinning like a madman (note - the good kind of madman, not the "I'm going to murder everyone madman") and I said "sure, why not, I'm curious wha..."  Didn't get to finish the sentence, as he goes into detail about how my barbarian throws the book right over the ranger's shoulder, narrowly missing said ranger by half an inch and promptly knocks out the leader of the bandits that was about to jump us with the very edge of the book's spine....  He then throws one of the three axes my barbarian was carrying into a similar cluster, and severely wounds two of the bandits as it was apparently the two hander he'd thrown....  DM then just smiles to everyone and says "roll initiative".  I've never had someone glare at me for so long, and then break out in laughter shortly afterwards...

....That book was bought as a joke for him because said barbarian had an intellect of something like 6 or 7, and he had a really bad habit of starting bar brawls, fighting lippy town guards, things like that....  Sure kept any bandits at bay afterwards though, because he'd just have to flash the book (or they'd see it) and half of them would run off in sheer fear...

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

So. I won't lie. Being swiped right is just, like, so unbelievably gratifying. I almost feel like a human being worthy of life after a few days of this. Surprisingly.

Don't think I really feel up to messaging anyone tho. ::(:

Y I is socially stunted?? ::(: ::(:

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Marvin said:

Y I is socially stunted?? ::(: ::(:

B/c you are 1 of us.

Resistance is futile.

Your individualality will be added to the collective.

You will be assimil... oooo! Donuts!

/Homer of Borg

• Haha 5

My biological distinctness was deemed unfit for assimilation. ::(:

Too much fat. ::(:::(:

• Like 3

So, for a second day in a row, I have managed to avoid doing the cooking that I really needed to do. Although I woke up at 8 am, for some reason after breakfast I ended up taking a two-hour nap sitting up, and then I got my head stuck in a damn book for the rest of the day. Then I just randomly spaced out for half an hour while reading the forums.

Aside from managing to feed myself breakfast this morning, my brain has been functionally useless today. Right now there's a tumbleweed in my brain rolling past the weathered skull of a brain weasel while theme music plays...:rolleyes:

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

8 minutes ago, Marvin said:

My biological distinctness was deemed unfit for assimilation. ::(:

Too much fat. ::(:::(:

I wouldn't get too comfortable there oh one of the rotund description.

There are companies that make a comfortable living off of taking away and then re-selling the renderings that go out the back doors of restaurants.

The Borg need lubricants.  Any complex hydrocarbons can be broken down and reassembled to the requisite specifications.

GEM

3 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

So, for a second day in a row, I have managed to avoid doing the cooking that I really needed to do. Although I woke up at 8 am, for some reason after breakfast I ended up taking a two-hour nap sitting up, and then I got my head stuck in a damn book for the rest of the day. Then I just randomly spaced out for half an hour while reading the forums.

Aside from managing to feed myself breakfast this morning, my brain has been functionally useless today. Right now there's a tumbleweed in my brain rolling past the weathered skull of a brain weasel while theme music plays...:rolleyes:

Sounds a lot like my day, only without the book and a couple of naps.

But I did get some of the accumulated shipping boxes from Christmas moved out of my office and to the recycling bin.

GEM

• Like 4

On 1/8/2018 at 1:20 PM, OneBoot said:

Whew! Finally caught up from the past couple of weeks (I know I didn't need to, but I wanted to ^_^). A bunch of responses incoming! *deep breath*

I got one completely unexpectedly once when crossing a red and yellow. Hasn't happened since. 

You missed the skirmishes between M. E. O. W. and W. O. O. F. about a month ago. Few were left unsparkled.

Oh, that's Soul Eater! :bday: A fun show, after the first three episodes which were far more blatantly gratuitous than the rest of the series. Weird ending, though.

Ahahaha...our clever plan worked brilliantly! :ph34r: W. O. O. F. clearly suspects nothing. We shall let them carry on believing they have won until it suits our fancy to disabuse them of the notion.

Until then, naptime. ^_^

That sounds like a section from a Dr. Seuss book. :lol:

Cube, from the online comic strip "Rusty and Co." begs to differ. Pretty sure Cube's got more Charisma than the rest of the group put together. Panache, too. ::D:

Well, I would, except MrBoot's approach to culinating is more akin to mad science than anything else, and if I don't write down what he does, it's lost forever. His recipes are never the same twice. Ever. :mellow:

Thanks for mentioning this; it was the first I'd heard of it.

Now that's done, off to paint things! 

Huzzah!       

--OneBoot :D

Quoting this for where I left off ... thirty-nine pages ago?!?!

:huh:

I ... may not catch up.

Went swimming this morning. Then fixed the refrigerator. This afternoon I painted tiny, tiny faces. Heads the size of peppercorns. Mouths the size of sesame seeds. Gah.

You understand how it is.

• Like 9

I sometimes catch up to like 4 pages back. After that my brain goes mush. 

Also: help I am stuck watching bad anime. Haaaalllpppp!

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

Forum acting laggy and weird, especially when posting, for anybody else?

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

Also: help I am stuck watching bad anime. Haaaalllpppp!

Which anime?  And how bad is it?  Is it really bad so you're stuck watching it like a train wreck?  Or is it only moderately bad?  Can you move to another room?

• Like 5

I may have messed up my onions. In a not bad but also not great way. I think I used way too much butter, because there's still a ton of liquid left even after hours of cooking. And because they've cooked so long, the onions are losing their cohesiveness and reducing themselves down to nothing. So I'm going to end up with a big pot of onion-flavored caramel rather than caramelized onions.

But I've tasted them, and they are still delicious. Behold!

1515986484222-1822116965.thumb.jpg.2a90750690de56bde258aec7d9127053.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

Huh, finally a use for the 65C water that comes out of the hot water tap in the apartment building we live in (other than, y'know, soaking dirty dishes).  Bending a bones miniature back into shape is sooooo much easier with said 65C out of the tap water, doubly so since the cold water is like 12C at best (haven't bothered to measure it - *goes and measures* Yup, 12C cold water).

On another note, the IR thermometer I bought SPECIFICALLY for my computer benching hobby (think drag racing computers, some would describe it as) has seen a LOT more use measuring random things around the house than it ever has for what I bought it for.  it keeps my 5-6 dozen LGA 775 CPU's company though, that drawer can get lonely for CPUs y'know :P

• Like 4