Just now, Crowley said:

I think I'll keep it straight. They're to old to be worth eating at this point. 

Plus there's all that fur...

And walking around with your dinner would just be silly!

• Like 6

Well just purchased the TV & wall mount... this project is officially underway. Going shooting with my buddy the carpenter tomorrow and we are going to discuss starting the project next weekend. AHHH!!! Exciting. I get to learn carpentry skills and have a new living room... at cost... my own cost of materials. 

44 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

I hope he manages to think up something fun to do with it, as opposed to just, accidentally exploding himself.

Agreed.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

I have never once engaged in an MMO of any sort... This is A) because I refuse to do any kind of monthly subscription thing when I may or may not get around to actually using it in any given month and B) they generally require much more time than I'm willing to dedicate to them in order to get anywhere as far as leveling up a character and C) they usually at least to some degree require you to find other people to play with, and I hate gaming with people I don't know well.

This for me too. Only one time I got into an online game (can't remember the name right now :angry:. This was 10 years ago.). It wasn't an MMO but a strategy game. You had to build up a village and eventually take over others. A bunch of us from a forum I hung out on then decided to make our own "country" in game. Turned out we were scattered all over the map so couldn't do much for eachother. Somehow I ended up as the main war leader for a bunch of disorganised, whiny brats with a handful of reliable allies. After a couple months of play a silent neighbour wiped me out. I thanked him and told him to go kill the worst couple of the whiny brats that lived next to us. It had it's moments but overall took too much time for not enough fun. At least it was free.

My best friend wanted me to play Eve with him. He even sent me an invite for a month of free playing. Trouble was his gaming time is 6 am. I'm not getting up an hour early to play a game where I may or may not have contact with the only person I wanted to play with. Have done some turn based PBEM games but it's hard to keep enough people interested in the same game.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

I submitted to one of those "poetry contest" things once, and of course was informed that although I didn't win they still wanted to publish my poem in a big ol' coffee table book - which would cost me $60 if  I wanted a copy.

Yep, that's the classic. In the 90s, through the 00s, poetry.com was a famous purveyor of that scheme. They got a lot of folks--would've got me as a wee teen, if not for my cheapness. I wouldn't pay even before I knew it was a scam. :lol: 

Related: One great thing about the Internet is that it's killed out a lot of the vanity-press industry. Print-on-demand is good for folks just wanting to print a book. No need for them to get ripped off.

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, Arc 724 said:

Well just purchased the TV & wall mount... this project is officially underway. Going shooting with my buddy the carpenter tomorrow and we are going to discuss starting the project next weekend. AHHH!!! Exciting. I get to learn carpentry skills and have a new living room... at cost... my own cost of materials. 

is the project just hanging the TV or something more involved?

• Like 3

If you want to try an MMO and it sounds like you all are...

Path of Exile is a free steam game, that feels like diablo. 

the only thing things you can buy are fancy clothes (skins)  and more gear storage.  Nothing that can actually help you in the fighting /questing part of the game. 

spent a bunch of time on it before NaNoWriNo  hoovered up all my non-guilt ridden free time. 

which reminds me I need another 750 words today. 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 8

I still play Guild Wars 2 (as does Mori) but that's because I have an old guild I play with from the original game days...

• Like 5

Ah, NaNo. I should've done it this year. Been sitting with 3/4 a novel since March.

Spent so many years raging against NaNo, but I turned out 75k words' worth of stories a couple Novembers ago so I quit griping about it. It fits my all-at-once tendencies, but it's such a bad approach to a healthy writing habit. Eh.

Could use a new stack of stories too...

Mag I'm starting, decided to close submissions the first of December. So I'll have a month of catching up on other people's stories. Then assembling my first ever journal. 

Then maybe after that I'll get back to writing.

Maybe.

Maybe.

Maybe.

• Like 6

I'm going to sell some of my backlog minis.

I will carefully examine if I will paint something or not within the next 25 years.

• Like 8
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

is the project just hanging the TV or something more involved?

More involved: There is a closet next to the fire place. We are cutting into that to make a space for a cabinet. The Cabinet will be built at his house at his work shop. He has planned some designed that he says "adds value to the house" as oppose to the way I was planning on doing it with 2x4's and dry wall. Apparently the cabinet is better and adds value as well as the way he plans on doing it. The cabinet will also feature a rack at the bottom of it to hold fire wood, one of the shelves will have a power outlet ran to it as well as the pass-through and feature false-backs to hide dropped cables. Additionally, it will have those computer fans to pull heat out into the closet. Next we mount the TV and put the pass-through in on that end. After that I am painting the entire wall white. It is this wood color and it looked like it was from the 70'2... I really don't like the look of it. And finally. we are designing and making and whole new mantel piece. The current one is pretty basic...

It's a big undertaking for me as I have not done a project like this before. The bonus is that I don't have to pay for labor of any kind, all the material is at my own expense and I get to learn some skills from a master. ::): WIN WIN WIN!

• Like 9

I'd like to sell a lot of minis, 'cause I know I'll never paint them, but eBay is such a hassle and I've no familiarity with other outlets.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I'd like to sell a lot of minis, 'cause I know I'll never paint them, but eBay is such a hassle and I've no familiarity with other outlets.

I used to use Bartertown but haven't for years. It was mostly focused on GW minis back when I used it regularly. I haven't really been selling much latley.

• Like 3

@Reaperbryan told me a little while ago that the metal dragons were pretty slow sellers.  I believed him, of course, since why wouldn't I?

But how slow was revealed to me today when I got my long-sought Kyra & Lavarath DHL 03000 today, direct from Reaper HQ, in a blister pack design I have not seen in a very, very long time.  It might even be from before I joined the board!

Well, I can love it enough for everybody and I'm just happy I finally got one AND secured Ebonwrath's wings at RCon for the alternate pose.  Since this one took so long to get... uh... adopted... I might buy a second one to do in original pose.

They can live on my shelf and be friends.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

@Reaperbryan told me a little while ago that the metal dragons were pretty slow sellers.  I believed him, of course, since why wouldn't I?

But how slow was revealed to me today when I got my long-sought Kyra & Lavarath DHL 03000 today, direct from Reaper HQ, in a blister pack design I have not seen in a very, very long time.  It might even be from before I joined the board!

Well, I can love it enough for everybody and I'm just happy I finally got one AND secured Ebonwrath's wings at RCon for the alternate pose.  Since this one took so long to get... uh... adopted... I might buy a second one to do in original pose.

They can live on my shelf and be friends.

That one is on my Short List to get  (as opposed to the the much larger Long List) after I finish up the chess set..

• Like 7