Froggy the Great

Randomness XIII: Cognitive Dissonance While You Wait

39 minutes ago, aku-chan said:

Tried cataloguing all my unpainted minis this afternoon, so I stop forgetting about all the stuff I've got.

I was doing okay listing all my Kingdom Death ones, then I hit a box of random steampunk, unknown cowboys and miscellaneous dwarves, and promptly lost the will to go on.

I'm going to have to find another way to motivate me into mining my backlog, rather than forever chase shiny new things.

You can send them to me... I'll happily try to identify them. Might even get around to painting them at some point.

:devil:

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Pingo said:

Huh, that's weird.

Sometimes the forum goes down and the store is still up. This is the first time I can recall the opposite happening.

I had the 'usual' issue of not being able to get to the forums but getting to the store .. seems I was the only one and the rest of yous all were doing the opposite.. (not the  first time I've  been the only one doing it my way!)

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

is anyone else unable to reach the store?

I did too, but it seems to be working again. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, eldamir said:

I had the 'usual' issue of not being able to get to the forums but getting to the store .. seems I was the only one and the rest of yous all were doing the opposite.. (not the  first time I've  been the only one doing it my way!)

I haven't tried the store but the forum wasn't letting me on about an hour ago. 

• Like 2

Yeah, no problems with the store for me. Except that whole lack of $$ thing... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

1 hour ago, Zink said:
1 hour ago, Mad Jack said:

Now this is what I call determination, lol...

Kid trapped inside claw machine....

I had no idea that was even possible.

It depends on the make and model of the machine - some of them are designed for larger prizes and thus have correspondingly larger openings.

(On a couple of them, I've been able to get my arm far enough into them to recover the prize when the claw dropped the prize right over the chute but it got hung up on the edge of the hole and didn't fall through.)

Plus, it was a four-year-old kid. Which is basically one step up from because...cat. ::D:

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Yeah, no problems with the store for me. Except that whole lack of $$ thing... 

Same here. On both counts.

• Like 4

Saw an article about how Vogue magazine was being criticized for using unpaid interns and how that goes against its claim to be committed to diversity.

It gave me flashbacks to art school, where all of the really good student jobs were unpaid internships: Major art galleries, art publishers, fashion houses, magazines, etc. All shamelessly offering fabulous jobs with zero pay. I remember how much that hurt, because most of us needed to earn a living, and giving away free labor, even free labor with all the perks and contacts needed for a lucrative future career, was impossible for us.

• Like 9

24 minutes ago, Pingo said:

Saw an article about how Vogue magazine was being criticized for using unpaid interns and how that goes against its claim to be committed to diversity.

It gave me flashbacks to art school, where all of the really good student jobs were unpaid internships: Major art galleries, art publishers, fashion houses, magazines, etc. All shamelessly offering fabulous jobs with zero pay. I remember how much that hurt, because most of us needed to earn a living, and giving away free labor, even free labor with all the perks and contacts needed for a lucrative future career, was impossible for us.

Any labor should be rewarded, life ain't free.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 9

Here is something I typed today:

Spoiler

The grey tabby cat took its rest in the shadows, lying on the sill of a window, plushed against an ancient carved wood screen which overlooked a narrow Cairo street, digesting a generous meal, paws curled comfortably under its chest, listening with half-closed eyes to the curious conversation that was taking place in the darkest shadows in the street.

“So, you can move unseen, right?” said a husky voice in native Cairene patois. “Now, take that feeling and hold it in your hands like it’s a person.”

“What, like feeding?” said a light voice with a Persian accent.

“No, not ... not like that,” the first voice said. “You need to think about it like a cloak, like you’re going to slip on a role. I want you to think about an ordinary-looking man, beard, turban, a striped jalabiyyah, someone no one would look at twice.”

“I, uh, think I have it,” said the second voice uncertainly. No other sound came from where the voices were, not a creak nor a shuffle nor a breath of shifting fabric.

“Now, hold it in your hands and slip it over your head like a garment. *Feel* it come over you,” said the first voice.

“Uh, eurgh,” said the second voice. “It’s ... sticky. Like spiderwebs?”

“You’ll get used to it. I’m here in case anything goes wrong,” said the first voice. “That’s right, just like that.”

“It feels peculiar. What does it look like?” said the light Persian voice.

There was utter silence in the street for a moment. In the distance men and donkeys shouted. Somewhere squeaking music played.

“You look ... Well, you don’t look like you,” said the first voice. It sounded like it was stifling a laugh.

“Is that good?” the second voice said.

“If anyone takes a good hard look at you they won’t be able to identify you later,” said the first voice. “That’s a big improvement over your current situation. We can ... refine it later.”

“So, what do I do with this?” the second voice asked.

“You take my hand and we walk out into the city and you discover just how very different the world treats you when you don’t look like a woman,” said the first voice.

“I thought I already knew that,” said the second voice.

“You have no idea,” said the first voice.

The silence extended. There was a sense of no one there.

The cat yawned luxuriantly, then slipped off the sill and padded into the night.

Edited by Pingo
Lost track of voices
  • Like 8

3 hours ago, Zink said:

I knew a long time ago that I didn't agree with movie and tv critics. Some of my favourite things got bad reviews and for years I watched the Oscars (no cable or internet = watch whatever's on) and generally didn't like any of the big winners. Sounds like it's time to check out Altered Carbon. I trust the people here's opinion more than most for things like that.

I give you a warning - be prepared for full frontal nudity from both genders. There's more naked ladies than naked men, but you still see the old twig and berries a couple times.

• Like 1

I ha e this odd suspicion my mail carrier is going to think I'm weird... Over the next few weeks, I'll not only be ordering more stuff from me a per (yay dragons!) but also a metric ton of basing materials from various places...  Evilbay, Secret Weapon, Happy Seppuku, GSW, and probably one or two more... O_o

On the plus side, I'll have all the basing materials, and bases, that I'll need for quite a while... 

• Like 6