Froggy the Great

Randomness XIII: Cognitive Dissonance While You Wait

Jumpin' Jeebus, how the hell did I end up here???

I go down to the FLGS to ask them about the prices on some of those minis I wanted...

And they decide that "because Jack knows about this stuff"...

I should go through the entire collection, all 250-ish of them, identify them, and tell THEM what they should be charging for each piece...

Wikileaks Task Force, Batman...  :blink::huh::blink::wacko:

Yes, folks, I have spent several hours today pulling out each little drawer of the case they're in, setting up all the minis in it and taking a picture, then writing down which pics go with which drawers so I could come home and ID them.

And then tell the store owners if there's anything in there worth some money that they should charge more than a couple of bucks for.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 8
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 2

I went to a strongman contest today. I was there as both spectator and intermission entertainment. Me and a couple other SCA folks put on a fighting demo, in return for one of the guys hosting the competition having come to our event a couple weeks ago to do a "Feats of Strength" bit there.

I also learned that the gym I was thinking of getting a membership to is expensive. The guy I talked to wasn't able to give me exact numbers for stuff involving coaching, but he said it averaged around $350/mo for a three sessions a week coaching deal. General membership, with no coaching, is still $60/mo. They also offer the option of daily coaching for something like $30-40 a session, on top of general membership fees. Which is much more doable for some coaching here and there. Especially since my work schedule and their schedule won't allow me to do much, if anything, at their gym every other week.

However, one of the coaches is the owner, and he was WVU's athletics strength training coach for like 10 years, working with every WVU team from football to match rifles. He's got masters degrees in exercise physiology and athletic coaching. He's even trained Olympians. So it's not like the expensive coaching isn't going to give you your money's worth if you follow the plan they give you.

I'm very, very tempted to spend $100 and get a monthly membership and a single coaching session so that I can explain what I'm looking to do and get shown proper form for at least a handful of exercises that will help me reach that goal.

I would go to Planet Fitness, because a general membership is cheap as dirt, but I know jack about squats(and deadlifts, and etc) and need someone to show me proper form so that I don't hurt myself and to give me a somewhat structured workout. Also, for all their talk about being an "intimidation free" gym, they're certainly intimidating with how they enforce that crap. Strain at all during a lift, or breathe heavily, and you get the stink eye at best and yelled at by staff on average. Have a weight slip because you went for one too many reps and you're screwed, because there goes your membership. It's like if you want to actually try to work out, you're not allowed to. I get that they don't want meatheads running around tossing weights to the ground and doing the beast mode shouting and stuff, but from what I've heard they've taken it to some crazy levels where basically any noise is bad...

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 5

50 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

I go down to the FLGS to ask them about the prices on some of those minis I wanted...

I should go through the entire collection, all 250-ish of them, identify them, and tell THEM what they should be charging for each piece...

Yes, folks, I have spent several hours today pulling out each little drawer of the case they're in, setting up all the minis in it and taking a picture, then writing down which pics go with which drawers so I could come home and ID them.

And then tell the store owners if there's anything in there worth some money that they should charge more than a couple of bucks for.

Just remember to way undervalue the ones you want. <_<

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Mad Jack said:

It’s good of you to make so many appraise checks for them.

I suspect the crew around here would be okay with helping out, maybe. People seem to like the challenge of IDing mystery minis.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Mad Jack said:

Jack, Jack, Jack.

You should have negotiated your Consultants Fee before opening the first drawer.

Not too late though.

When you go back, make sure all the information is in a sealed folder, which will be turned over only when the dicker is done and a suitable remuneration for your time and expertise is agreed to.

The customary fee for such Appraisal Services ranges from 10% to 20%, depending on whether it is paid in cash or goods.

If you could give them a high/low/average on each item and then take 15% of the aggregate average in the items of your choice, then all parties should consider it a fair bargain.

You get first choice on the lot and don't have to put out hard cash and the shop owner and consignee get the benefit of your expertise with no cash outlay.

Were these items to go through an auction house the house would take at least 20% as their fee, with the possibility of fees on top of that percentage for any appraisal work or preparation for auction.  No doubt the shop owner is expecting to receive a fee for moving the lot, if he or the owner of the goods isn't willing to compensate you for your time and knowledge then they are taking unfair advantage, and you are free to tell them that I said so.

GEM

1 hour ago, Unruly said:

I went to a strongman contest today. I was there as both spectator and intermission entertainment. Me and a couple other SCA folks put on a fighting demo, in return for one of the guys hosting the competition having come to our event a couple weeks ago to do a "Feats of Strength" bit there.

I also learned that the gym I was thinking of getting a membership to is expensive. The guy I talked to wasn't able to give me exact numbers for stuff involving coaching, but he said it averaged around $350/mo for a three sessions a week coaching deal. General membership, with no coaching, is still $60/mo. They also offer the option of daily coaching for something like $30-40 a session, on top of general membership fees. Which is much more doable for some coaching here and there. Especially since my work schedule and their schedule won't allow me to do much, if anything, at their gym every other week.

However, one of the coaches is the owner, and he was WVU's athletics strength training coach for like 10 years, working with every WVU team from football to match rifles. He's got masters degrees in exercise physiology and athletic coaching. He's even trained Olympians. So it's not like the expensive coaching isn't going to give you your money's worth if you follow the plan they give you.

I'm very, very tempted to spend $100 and get a monthly membership and a single coaching session so that I can explain what I'm looking to do and get shown proper form for at least a handful of exercises that will help me reach that goal.

I would go to Planet Fitness, because a general membership is cheap as dirt, but I know jack about squats(and deadlifts, and etc) and need someone to show me proper form so that I don't hurt myself and to give me a somewhat structured workout. Also, for all their talk about being an "intimidation free" gym, they're certainly intimidating with how they enforce that crap. Strain at all during a lift, or breathe heavily, and you get the stink eye at best and yelled at by staff on average. Have a weight slip because you went for one too many reps and you're screwed, because there goes your membership. It's like if you want to actually try to work out, you're not allowed to. I get that they don't want meatheads running around tossing weights to the ground and doing the beast mode shouting and stuff, but from what I've heard they've taken it to some crazy levels where basically any noise is bad...

Planet Fitness = Planet Poseur.

GEM

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Pingo said:

It’s good of you to make so many appraise checks for them.

I suspect the crew around here would be okay with helping out, maybe. People seem to like the challenge of IDing mystery minis.

3 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Jack, Jack, Jack.

You should have negotiated your Consultants Fee before opening the first drawer.

Not too late though.

When you go back, make sure all the information is in a sealed folder, which will be turned over only when the dicker is done and a suitable remuneration for your time and expertise is agreed to.

The customary fee for such Appraisal Services ranges from 10% to 20%, depending on whether it is paid in cash or goods.

If you could give them a high/low/average on each item and then take 15% of the aggregate average in the items of your choice, then all parties should consider it a fair bargain.

You get first choice on the lot and don't have to put out hard cash and the shop owner and consignee get the benefit of your expertise with no cash outlay.

Were these items to go through an auction house the house would take at least 20% as their fee, with the possibility of fees on top of that percentage for any appraisal work or preparation for auction.  No doubt the shop owner is expecting to receive a fee for moving the lot, if he or the owner of the goods isn't willing to compensate you for your time and knowledge then they are taking unfair advantage, and you are free to tell them that I said so.

GEM

Or yeah, that. That would be the professional thing to do.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Pingo said:

Or yeah, that. That would be the professional thing to do.

Especially since it sounds like it is a sizable lot and they already know about Jack's  expertise enough to ask him his expert opinion.

If it was just a handful of items it would be the sociable thing to do to just give a considered opinion.

It sounds like in this case, it is going to take quite a few hours, hours that won't be available for other hobby activities.

I say other hobby activities knowing from the tone of Jack's remarks that he considers this an engaging challenge.

The problem being, that if he does one sizable lot as a "freebie" that people in his area may come to expect that they may impose upon his time and specialized knowledge freely.  Sometimes, for your own self protection, it is necessary to set boundaries.  People will think more of you if you require compensation for your time and expertise for big jobs than they will should you come to a place where you have to make the choice between doing yet another "favor" for somebody or doing work that actually helps pay some of your bills.

The guys on the show Pawn Stars make use of outside experts all the time.  Believe me, those experts are compensated for their time and expertise.

GEM

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Yeahbut, is it looking at me, or the cleric right behind me?

Or something coming silently down the hall behind us and gradually inching closer?

GEM

Won't matter. You'll be dead before you find out. 

2 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

I'm gonna say 2 things... 

1. Wow!!

2. What GEM said. Too bad that eyebeast got him... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Ah, the neighbors a quarter mile down the road are having a party, and their bass is so loud I can hear it in the house.

Prepare the catapults, my vassals.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Zink said:

Just remember to way undervalue the ones you want. <_<

That way lies unscrupulousness! 

Value them all fairly, then do as GEM said  :)

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Ah, the neighbors a quarter mile down the road are having a party, and their bass is so loud I can hear it in the house.

Prepare the catapults, my vassals.

PopUp_KLIP2_ItemImg4.jpg?_dc=1518319752537

wonder if their speakers are Klipsch....

1 minute ago, eldamir said:

That way lies unscrupulousness! 

Value them all fairly, then do as GEM said  :)

but take your fee first!

• Like 5

The collection is mostly old Partha, Grenadier and a little Heritage and Archive mixed in. That stuff is just a matter of putting in the time on the Lost Minis Wiki. Then there's some GW stuff that's going to be a bit tougher since I'm unfamiliar with it. There's also an old Grenadier box filled with random minis I haven't gotten a chance to look at yet. Some of them might be Mega Miniatures. Interestingly, at least four or five of the monsters that should be in the box (Grenadier Monster of Mythology set) are in the larger of the two cases.

What's basically going to end up happening is that we're going to price the man-sized figures at a buck apiece, and the larger humanoids around $2-3. Dragons at $10 or so, since they usually go for about $20 online when they have the box with them.

On the down side, a number of the figures (including a couple of the bigger ones) are missing weapons or limbs.

Hmm. As far as I can determine, the major difference between "French" style and regular yogurt is that the French stuff comes in fancy glass jars instead of plastic cups.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 6