Froggy the Great

Randomness XIII: Cognitive Dissonance While You Wait

Still warm and wet here. Supposed to rain all day. Not exactly fun, but it could be way worse.

Coffee is brewing...

I have to finish an online skills assessment for an interview I have tomorrow. 2 more tests of 50ish questions. Multiple choice. 

Coffee first. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Pegazus said:

if I use a USB on the work laptop, security will throw a hissy fit and likely frog march me out the door jobless

About 2 years ago, security at my place of employment dropped usb keys all over the building with phone-home apps on them and then said that's exactly what they'd do after 95% of them were plugged into folks laptops within a day or two.

Cooler heads prevailed and I don't believe anyone lost their jobs over it, but now our USB ports are good only for mice and keyboards.. (can't even charge a  phone since the security policy sees 'storage device' and shuts the port off)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Unruly said:

If you required it quickly, and the phone wasn't in there for more than a couple seconds as the machine was filling or something, you're probably fine. But if the phone was fully submerged, or went through a whole wash cycle, then your chances of recovery go down drastically.

It was more like five minutes, and a front loader, so I was hoping. Slow toast over the cable box overnight didn't work. I think it's dead, Jim!

And of course, what does my brain do last night while I'm trying to rest? That's right! Phone dreams all night!

Stupid brain.

34 minutes ago, eldamir said:

About 2 years ago, security at my place of employment dropped usb keys all over the building with phone-home apps on them and then said that's exactly what they'd do after 95% of them were plugged into folks laptops within a day or two.

Cooler heads prevailed and I don't believe anyone lost their jobs over it, but now our USB ports are good only for mice and keyboards.. (can't even charge a  phone since the security policy sees 'storage device' and shuts the port off)

Yeah. Me thinks USB now are the lepers of corporate IT. Hoards of pasty white wonks throwing stones and shouting 'unclean' at every poor device.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

On 2/9/2018 at 6:38 PM, TheAuldGrump said:

That lovely moment when you see that your good lady wife is on the forums, so you send her a PM that you are on the way home....

And get a reply to look to your left. ::P:

Ooh! Me so perceptive, me! :lol:

The Auld Grump - pretty sure that was a Perception fumbled roll.

I was waving to him as he typed.

That should have been, what, a DC 5 roll? :lol:

Friday we had to fight freakin' DEATH while our two best combat types were dancing around him to the pretty, pretty music.

And the ghosts of all the others that had failed their WIL saves dancing with them. :bday::zombie:

For the first time, I cooked dinner for the game, just a pan of baked ziti, but I felt strangely proud of it. ::D:

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

I was waving to him as he typed.

That should have been, what, a DC 5 roll? :lol:

Friday we had to fight freakin' DEATH while our two best combat types were dancing around him to the pretty, pretty music.

And the ghosts of all the others that had failed their WIL saves dancing with them. :bday::zombie:

For the first time, I cooked dinner for the game, just a pan of baked ziti, but I felt strangely proud of it. ::D:

No, if he's not actively looking, that's a passive perception check. And yeah, he failed!! 

I fought death in Baba Yaga's hut. I think I barely managed to survive. Did you survive? 

And how was the Ziti? I made Chicken parm last night for the first time. Could have pounded it thinner, but otherwise really good!

• Like 7

I lost power for a little while this morning. I was in the midst of making plans to go out and do something (spend money on hobby stuff) when the lights came back on.

I'm actually glad they came back before I left. Now I can spend some time using what I have instead of adding more to the mountain.

• Like 7

Ok, reading the forum while cooking pancakes might not have been the best idea. A couple of them are very well done. Still edible but well done. I've got a policy that when I'm cooking and burn part of it that's my share.

• Like 8

26 minutes ago, Zink said:

Ok, reading the forum while cooking pancakes might not have been the best idea. A couple of them are very well done. Still edible but well done. I've got a policy that when I'm cooking and burn part of it that's my share.

My policy as well...

Doing this skills assessment tells me that it's been too long since I last took accounting. 

"What, which ratio is that one again?"

::(:

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Crowley said:

No, if he's not actively looking, that's a passive perception check. And yeah, he failed!! 

I fought death in Baba Yaga's hut. I think I barely managed to survive. Did you survive? 

And how was the Ziti? I made Chicken parm last night for the first time. Could have pounded it thinner, but otherwise really good!

Not bad!

Neither Mum nor I can cook, but hubby makes it look like he enjoys it.

Ziti, burger, toatoe sauce, tomato paste, chopped up onions and peppers, covered in cheese. I used pepper jack.

No leftovers, so I think the crew liked it!

We haven't died yet, but I think we may have to grab the rogue and the barbarian and RUN!

The only reason we have no dead is that DEATH is striking randomly, not concentrating on one character. Whack, and there go a couple of levels.

Grump even had the song playing - Danse Macabre .

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

Grump even had the song playing - Danse Macabre .

:wub: :wub: :wub: That's fantastic!!

And I think you proved that you can, in fact, cook! ::P:

Though I now need to figure out what to make for lunch & dinner tonight, and then make it... 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Crowley said:

Rain, rain.... I guess you're better than snow and ice...

You don't have to shovel snow...

14 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Jack, Jack, Jack.

You should have negotiated your Consultants Fee before opening the first drawer.

Not too late though.

When you go back, make sure all the information is in a sealed folder, which will be turned over only when the dicker is done and a suitable remuneration for your time and expertise is agreed to.

The customary fee for such Appraisal Services ranges from 10% to 20%, depending on whether it is paid in cash or goods.

If you could give them a high/low/average on each item and then take 15% of the aggregate average in the items of your choice, then all parties should consider it a fair bargain.

You get first choice on the lot and don't have to put out hard cash and the shop owner and consignee get the benefit of your expertise with no cash outlay.

Were these items to go through an auction house the house would take at least 20% as their fee, with the possibility of fees on top of that percentage for any appraisal work or preparation for auction.  No doubt the shop owner is expecting to receive a fee for moving the lot, if he or the owner of the goods isn't willing to compensate you for your time and knowledge then they are taking unfair advantage, and you are free to tell them that I said so.

GEM

Planet Fitness = Planet Poseur.

GEM

Pretty sure that the owner will take care of Jack.  They are good like that.  Plus, he's doing a good deed as I think that there is a good chance that that collection may have belonged to Seth, one of the regulars that finally lost his battle to cancer a couple of weeks ago.  I helped his friends unload a car load of games that he willed to the stores game library, and heard that his widow was going to be looking for help divesting the rest of his collections.

Of course, now that I know they have this collection, I may just have to fight 'Jack for some of these figs.....

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

12 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

You don't have to shovel snow...

No, but I do have to walk my dogs in it, and more importantly, the snow/ice melt stuff that people pour by the bucket full all over everything. Hence the girls' new boots. 

Okay, lunch is in the oven... rice in the instant pot... Time for more coffee.

And to walk the dogs again. or try to... 

• Like 4