Froggy the Great

Randomness XIII: Cognitive Dissonance While You Wait

I'm watching more Altered Carbon, and I'm still enjoying it.

I've also decided that someone needs to give Neuromancer its own TV show, with Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive as seasons 2 and 3, respectively. Because we need the original Cyberpunk to be adapted. The original Mirrorshades...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Unruly said:

I'm watching more Altered Carbon, and I'm still enjoying it.

I've also decided that someone needs to give Neuromancer its own TV show, with Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive as seasons 2 and 3, respectively. Because we need the original Cyberpunk to be adapted. The original Mirrorshades...

As much as I would like this, The peripheral would be more timely.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Underrated flick: Johnny Mnemonic.

True. Though Ice Cube was funny as a cyberpunk gangster. Can't remember his name, but I think it started with an R?

53 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

As much as I would like this, The peripheral would be more timely.

The last Gibson book I read was Pattern Recognition. I picked up the other 2 books in that series, but I never read them because Pattern Recognition didn't really do it for me. I don't even think I actually finished it, to be honest. Much like how I either didn't finish The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson or else I "finished it" by stopping reading it, then picking it up years later and starting somewhere that looked like where I had left off.

I have decided to reread Altered Carbon once I finish the series. I'm now seeing a bunch of stuff that doesn't jive with what I remember, and it's not just minor things. Like making the Envoys out to all be terrorists from the start, when they're actually a branch of the military in the books. That's not to say that it isn't mentioned in the books that most former Envoys went into mercenary work or became criminals, but they're conflating the Envoys with the members of Quell's rebellion(the Unsettlement in the books, the Uprising in the show). 

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, eldamir said:

That way lies unscrupulousness! 

Value them all fairly, then do as GEM said  :)

Yeah, I was only joking. I don't pull stuff like that in real life.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Yeahbut, is it looking at me, or the cleric right behind me?

Or something coming silently down the hall behind us and gradually inching closer?

GEM

Nah, he's looking at the pizza guy, going "whoooooooo, pizza's here but there's this annoying adventurer party blocking his way" 

• Haha 3

Oh, boy...

So, business trip #2 tomorrow, and realized I didn't have enough pants. No problem, grab the two most comfortable pairs along with the pair I was wearing since it was nice too and dump it into the washer.

Along with my phone.

It's currently wrapped in a paper towel, packed in rice, then inside a sealed vacuum bag and gently warmed in the hope that it all comes back to life in the morning. Otherwise, I'll have to walk into the AT&T either Sunday evening or on Monday and get a new one.

Last backup is from 2 weeks ago, so not bad. But... it is too big to put on a DVD, and if I use a USB on the work laptop, security will throw a hissy fit and likely frog march me out the door jobless. Maybe they'll be willing to restore it for me, otherwise... I have a lot of apps to download.

• Sad 8

Hmm. So there's a pair of crossbowmen skellies and a pair of halberdier skellies, a skellie cleric, a skellie cyclops and skellie sabretooth in the collection - it appears there's a complete set of Ral Partha's 10-307 Lords of the Dead, minus the box...

• Like 8

I wrote a very short horror story this evening. Prompt for a journal led me to it. I said wth. It isn't very good.

But I've fully escaped yon zone of comfort.

It's cold outside the box. I don't like it.

• Like 5

While at work today a mom and her very young daughter were walking through the department.

The little girl was a tiny thing, couldn't have been more than 2 or 3, and was carrying a TRex that was fully a third of her own size. Easily a good two feet in length and big and bulky.

She was carrying it like it was her baby.

Thing is it wasn't some fluffy pink glitter plushie of a TRex, it was an honest to goodness recreation of the mighty carnivore. Big teeth opened mouth, mean looking meat eater.

And you could tell this little girl loved it.

As they walked past I just had to comment "That's a very scary looking dinosaur!"

The little girl stopped dead in her tracks. Looked up at me and gave me the biggest smile I've seen from anyone of any age.

You could tell she was tickled pink that someone appreciated the deadliness of the beast she was carrying.

Her mom laughed and said her daughter takes that thing everywhere.

And as they were walking away the king of the dinosaurs tiny keeper kept looking back at me with that huge smile the whole time.

Well, until she almost walked into a fixture and her mom told her to watch where she was going anyway.

That random encounter really made my day.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 9

8 minutes ago, Marvin said:

It's cold outside the box. I don't like it.

So you're part cat then? Quick look for a sun beam or a warm radiator.

5 minutes ago, Darsc Zacal said:

As they walked past I just had to comment "That's a very scary looking dinosaur!"

The little girl stopped dead in her tracks. Looked up at me and gave me the biggest smile I've seen from anyone of any age.

You could tell she was tickled pink that someone appreciated the deadliness of the beast she was carrying.

Her mom laughed and said her daughter takes that thing everywhere.

And as they were walking away the king of the dinosaurs tiny keeper kept looking back at me with that huge smile the whole time.

Well of course you noticed the awsome scariness of her buddy and understand that when you've got a TRex for a friend, ain't no monsters, bed or closet, gonna mess with you.

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

6 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

Jumpin' Jeebus, how the hell did I end up here???

I go down to the FLGS to ask them about the prices on some of those minis I wanted...

And they decide that "because Jack knows about this stuff"...

I should go through the entire collection, all 250-ish of them, identify them, and tell THEM what they should be charging for each piece...

Wikileaks Task Force, Batman...  :blink::huh::blink::wacko:

Yes, folks, I have spent several hours today pulling out each little drawer of the case they're in, setting up all the minis in it and taking a picture, then writing down which pics go with which drawers so I could come home and ID them.

And then tell the store owners if there's anything in there worth some money that they should charge more than a couple of bucks for.

I do hope they will reward you with a choice of minis.

3 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

The collection is mostly old Partha, Grenadier and a little Heritage and Archive mixed in. That stuff is just a matter of putting in the time on the Lost Minis Wiki. Then there's some GW stuff that's going to be a bit tougher since I'm unfamiliar with it. There's also an old Grenadier box filled with random minis I haven't gotten a chance to look at yet. Some of them might be Mega Miniatures. Interestingly, at least four or five of the monsters that should be in the box (Grenadier Monster of Mythology set) are in the larger of the two cases.

What's basically going to end up happening is that we're going to price the man-sized figures at a buck apiece, and the larger humanoids around $2-3. Dragons at $10 or so, since they usually go for about $20 online when they have the box with them.

On the down side, a number of the figures (including a couple of the bigger ones) are missing weapons or limbs.

Hmm. As far as I can determine, the major difference between "French" style and regular yogurt is that the French stuff comes in fancy glass jars instead of plastic cups.

GRENADIER???

Well, ehhh....should you find this gem, hold the whole place hostage till I arrive!!!

image.png.01969030b3515ebc66f172a8182c20bc.pngimage.png.4f1e21fa4caffabb655b785a329afbb5.png

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Pegazus said:

Oh, boy...

So, business trip #2 tomorrow, and realized I didn't have enough pants. No problem, grab the two most comfortable pairs along with the pair I was wearing since it was nice too and dump it into the washer.

Along with my phone.

It's currently wrapped in a paper towel, packed in rice, then inside a sealed vacuum bag and gently warmed in the hope that it all comes back to life in the morning. Otherwise, I'll have to walk into the AT&T either Sunday evening or on Monday and get a new one.

Last backup is from 2 weeks ago, so not bad. But... it is too big to put on a DVD, and if I use a USB on the work laptop, security will throw a hissy fit and likely frog march me out the door jobless. Maybe they'll be willing to restore it for me, otherwise... I have a lot of apps to download.

If you required it quickly, and the phone wasn't in there for more than a couple seconds as the machine was filling or something, you're probably fine. But if the phone was fully submerged, or went through a whole wash cycle, then your chances of recovery go down drastically.

• Like 4