Froggy the Great

Randomness XIII: Cognitive Dissonance While You Wait

I like to buy my horses in person. No substitute for seeing those teeth up close and in the flesh.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

On 2/11/2018 at 2:35 PM, Pingo said:

Today I learned what a jerrycan is.

Did you learn the whole history of the name?

• Like 2

I am now a stones throw from Cali, and could walk into Mexico with little effort. Got to Yuma 30 minutes too late to get a new phone... but there was a Best Buy across the street.

I have a new phone. And it was $150 cheaper than what AT&T was going to charge me. Wish I had thought of it last night. I probably could have made it to the local one, then restored things. Oh well. In the end I will lose three weeks of things not stored in the cloud. Not bad in the long run.

• Like 9

42 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Look at it this way:

Nearly all the time you will be spending within line of sight of those sheets your eyes will be closed, so during that period of time it doesn't matter what color [even plaid] those sheets are.

GEM

Actually, the majority of the time that I'm awake and at home I'm in bed. I watch TV in bed, I play on the computer in bed, and I've got one of my game consoles hooked up in my bedroom as well. This bed is basically my favorite recliner.

• Like 6
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

Place smells so lovely... So thankful hubby coerced me into making some apple cider.  ... Non alcoholic apple cider :p

Also, man that was a lot of flash on that Skorne Titan whatchamacallit that was in the two player battle box.  Well, okay, not flash, but a ton of seam cleaning, even if 75% of it I could have probably just left on and it wouldn't have been noticed.. 

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Marvin said:

It's not really a campaign until the party's hard up and having a conversation about whether it's okay to eat a humanoid since it was evil anyway.

I've played with a couple of parties where at least one of the characters carried a severed troll head in their bag of holding - "troll rations" were a fairly common thing back in the day.

Then there was the time we were badly outnumbered by a large orc horde and decided to try to run them off by convincing them the local villagers were vicious cannibals - the party butchered and cooked the two raiding parties they'd sent out, and then left the meat all over the place to give the local large predators a taste for orc flesh.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, sumbloke said:

Did you learn the whole history of the name?

Named after "Jerry," the WWII slang for the Germans, because it was a German design that the Allies copied during the war due to its ease of use.

• Like 4

Le sigh...

I tried to scan in my map on my new scanner, clean it up to remove draft marks, and print it out so that I could continue drawing without worrying about making mistakes, but it seems like I can't get it to print at full size. Trying to hold up the new sheet behind the original and look at it like a tracing transparency tells me that it's lost a tiny bit of size. And I can't fix it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Unruly said:

Le sigh...

I tried to scan in my map on my new scanner, clean it up to remove draft marks, and print it out so that I could continue drawing without worrying about making mistakes, but it seems like I can't get it to print at full size. Trying to hold up the new sheet behind the original and look at it like a tracing transparency tells me that it's lost a tiny bit of size. And I can't fix it.

I've had the same problem in the past and overcome it by setting the print output to 101% o 104%.

Takes some fiddling but you can get very close if not spot on by fiddling with the sizing of the output.

Good Luck

GEM

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

I've had the same problem in the past and overcome it by setting the print output to 101% o 104%.

Takes some fiddling but you can get very close if not spot on by fiddling with the sizing of the output.

Good Luck

GEM

Nope, it's a matter of the printer hardware not being able to ignore margins. It keeps cutting off about 1/8 of an inch on all sides. It's not a huge thing, but it's very annoying because it's cutting off the top of a mountain and messing with my coastline. This despite setting everything in software to ignore margins. So I guess this makes for another drawback for the new printer compared to my old, broken one. I remember it being capable of wholly ignoring margins.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

My sheets are a nice dark purple. Practically the same colour as my phone case. Leaving my phone on the bed is a bad idea :lol:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, eldamir said:

About 2 years ago, security at my place of employment dropped usb keys all over the building with phone-home apps on them and then said that's exactly what they'd do after 95% of them were plugged into folks laptops within a day or two.

Cooler heads prevailed and I don't believe anyone lost their jobs over it, but now our USB ports are good only for mice and keyboards.. (can't even charge a  phone since the security policy sees 'storage device' and shuts the port off)

That's brilliant! :lol: And, I imagine, extremely effective as an object lesson of "this is why we can't have nice things."

13 hours ago, LittleBluberry said:

I dreamt I was at ReaperCon last night but couldn't find anyone or anything I was looking for.  But unlike most dreams like that I wasn't stressed about it because I knew all the awesome would be found eventually.  ::D: 

I've had a handful of such since October, and it's been the same way with me; just kind of wandering around, no stress, and getting to see so many of my friends again! ^_^

8 hours ago, Tripleh5133 said:

Well, I finally did it. Trying to do two things at once, I managed to miss the rinse cup & found myself swishing my brush in my coffee cup. :zombie:

I don't usually have that problem, since I use two small glass jars to rinse out my brush, which look nothing like any of our drinking glasses. 

However, I did have a problem at Reapercon, since at home I use the Reapercon plastic cups as drinking cups, so I kept trying to pick up my paint water and drink it. :lol: I never actually got to the point of actually drinking it, though.

5 hours ago, SparrowMarie said:

Today was good. Went to the in-laws and had lunch. We also played a game of Shadows Over Camelot. I died like 1/3 of the way through but we won. Skipped errands today because it was much later than we thought it would be when we left. Must do those tomorrow. 

I love that game! It's super tough, but it's one of the few games I can get MrBoot to play, since it's a cooperative team-style game.

5 hours ago, Keianna said:

I just finished my 3rd :blink: dinner for the evening. Apparently all of my social groups wanted to eat dinner with me on the same night, friends, family and work. I'm gonna not move for a while.

I hear that. My family and my husband's family both live within a few miles of each other, so that makes visiting for the holidays both easy and tricky. We've settled on that exact strategy when it comes to Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners; just eat two of them! It keeps everybody happy, but does tend to leave one feeling like a blimp, lol.

2 hours ago, Unruly said:

Actually, the majority of the time that I'm awake and at home I'm in bed. I watch TV in bed, I play on the computer in bed, and I've got one of my game consoles hooked up in my bedroom as well. This bed is basically my favorite recliner.

I'm the same way, probably because I didn't have a desk in my room growing up (and even when I did, it was buried in stuff), so my bed became homework desk, meal and snack table, reading chair, sofa, computer desk, etc. Even now, I still find I study best when sitting cross-legged on the bed. :)

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 9

I was exposed to plague today. Some friends of mine who have been sick showed up at an SCA meeting, because they had to or else we couldn't hold the meeting, and exposed us all to whatever they had. That was about 14 hours ago. I'm now starting to feel mildly sick. However, it may also be because I took a small nap earlier, which my body physically hates, and am now powering through the night on caffeine.

We shall see how things go as the hours wind by...

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 1
  • Sad 8

Yea, so, I just finished Altered Carbon.

It was good, but at the same time as the series wound on it got worse and worse about the changes they made. Don't get me wrong, some of the changes weren't bad. Like changing the hotel from being based on Jimi Hendrix to Edgar Allen Poe, that was a good change as I don't think they would have done near as much with it as they did otherwise. Changing the cortical stack from something the size and shape of a cigarette filter to something that resembled a Cardassian version of the Sony PSP game cartridge in both size and shape was a negligible difference. But then they totally screwed up Quellists, and by extension Quellcrist Falconer, and the Envoys by conflating them with each other when they're totally different things in the books. In fact, in the books the Envoys are something of a government response to people like the Quellist revolutionaries. They're meant to be the elite soldiers who are shot from planet to planet on a regular basis to shut down uprisings. They just have a habit of turning to crime and mercenary work after they leave the service, in part because their training makes them so dangerous that most planets won't allow ex-Envoys to hold positions of power or influence...

Overall, as a sci-fi show I give it a 7/10. As an adaptation of Altered Carbon the book, I give it a 5/10 at best. The end really deviated from what I remember in some extreme ways. I'm rereading the book now, so maybe I'll find that it's closer than I think right now, but I really doubt it. Some of the stuff that happened throughout the series was so massively different that I don't even have a faint memory of anything like it in the book.

Now I get to wait 2 hours for the county assessor's office to open so that I can get a tax bill for my old, wrecked car and pay off my 2017 property taxes.

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 5

I need to start a social movement for klutzes to have sharp corners removed from all furniture. 

I currently have a black, painful bruise on my thigh from a table at work. It hurts so much x.x

• Sad 8