Froggy the Great

Randomness XIII: Cognitive Dissonance While You Wait

Yea, so, I just finished Altered Carbon.

It was good, but at the same time as the series wound on it got worse and worse about the changes they made. Don't get me wrong, some of the changes weren't bad. Like changing the hotel from being based on Jimi Hendrix to Edgar Allen Poe, that was a good change as I don't think they would have done near as much with it as they did otherwise. Changing the cortical stack from something the size and shape of a cigarette filter to something that resembled a Cardassian version of the Sony PSP game cartridge in both size and shape was a negligible difference. But then they totally screwed up Quellists, and by extension Quellcrist Falconer, and the Envoys by conflating them with each other when they're totally different things in the books. In fact, in the books the Envoys are something of a government response to people like the Quellist revolutionaries. They're meant to be the elite soldiers who are shot from planet to planet on a regular basis to shut down uprisings. They just have a habit of turning to crime and mercenary work after they leave the service, in part because their training makes them so dangerous that most planets won't allow ex-Envoys to hold positions of power or influence...

Overall, as a sci-fi show I give it a 7/10. As an adaptation of Altered Carbon the book, I give it a 5/10 at best. The end really deviated from what I remember in some extreme ways. I'm rereading the book now, so maybe I'll find that it's closer than I think right now, but I really doubt it. Some of the stuff that happened throughout the series was so massively different that I don't even have a faint memory of anything like it in the book.

Now I get to wait 2 hours for the county assessor's office to open so that I can get a tax bill for my old, wrecked car and pay off my 2017 property taxes.

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 5

I need to start a social movement for klutzes to have sharp corners removed from all furniture. 

I currently have a black, painful bruise on my thigh from a table at work. It hurts so much x.x

• Sad 8

At work, it is very quiet due to Carnaval.

Many people have the time off.

So I'm making a organogram of my Undead Army, which will be totally useless since I will never game with it.

But it gives me an idea what will be what and what I need to buy/paint.

Commander, Subcommanders, Cavalry, Infantry, Artillery, Flyers, Monstrous Hosts.

Add in Light, Heavy, Specials.

Ideas for Unit Fillers.

Non Combatants ( Baggage Train/Pack Animals etc.)

Terrain.

Just a few more hours..

Hmmm, how many Dragons do I need?

• Like 8

50 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

Why can't today be Sunday, pt.2?

That would be delightful. I actually got several hours of painting in, and got on the hangouts! Now, back to job hunting and studying for the CPA... At least tonight my bride and I will sit down to finish Star Trek Discovery season 1... 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, redambrosia said:

I need to start a social movement for klutzes to have sharp corners removed from all furniture. 

I currently have a black, painful bruise on my thigh from a table at work. It hurts so much x.x

Social movement received by engineering.

Engineering has sent schematics to manufacturing.

Manufacturing will deliver your human sized hamster ball once management approves funding.

Management is waiting for marketing's analysis.

Marketing is on day three of their vodka bender in Vegas.

Please stand by.

49 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

Why can't today be Sunday, pt.2?

Dunno. My Sunday was a bit like, hmm. Like one of your bad weeks, CW. What weekday is it after the seventh day of work? Is that Monday the Third, or are the names of the weekdays past that point no longer named after gods but famous devils and demons?

Hmm. I declare Day 8 of working Lokisday. Hmm... no. Fenrisday sounds more interesting after a quick Wikipedia search.

• Like 6
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:
1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

All of them?

Careful, they're jealous creatures, and the ones you don't paint are gonna be pissy... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

Social movement received by engineering.

Engineering has sent schematics to manufacturing.

Manufacturing will deliver your human sized hamster ball once management approves funding.

Management is waiting for marketing's analysis.

Marketing is on day three of their vodka bender in Vegas.

Please stand by.

I feel like it would be easier to make rounded corners than to put us all in giant hamster balls.... though the giant hamster ball would enforce the personal space bubble...

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

All of them?

Why didn't I think of that!

3 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Careful, they're jealous creatures, and the ones you don't paint are gonna be pissy... 

Ok..so no pressure at all....

Let's see, a huge Undead force with Demon/Chaos/Evil Humans/ Goblin Allies... lalalalalalala...

Add a Dragon or 20...maybe some other monsters, a Witch cult? Sure why not...humm hummm

Hey more evil wizards...

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

I feel like it would be easier to make rounded corners than to put us all in giant hamster balls.... though the giant hamster ball would enforce the personal space bubble...

Gotta tell ya, personal space bubbles are pretty awesome. Also, it's fun to fun people/dogs over in them. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

2017 property taxes paid! I had a small moment of anger at the assessor's office when I was told I would have to pay property tax on my totaled car for tax year 2018, since I owned it on July 1st of 2017, but that was quickly remedied by being told that I wouldn't have to pay 2018 taxes on my new car since I bought it after September of 2017. So my 2018 property taxes should be roughly the same as my 2017 were, which means I'll be saving a couple hundred bucks. But then from 2019 until about 2022 my property taxes are going to suck again. Because if my new Fit is anything like my old Fit, until it turns 4 it isn't going to depreciate much in value.

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

16 minutes ago, Crowley said:
18 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:
1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

All of them?

Ain't that the truth.

• Like 3

Dark Chocolate with Hazelnuts consumed, time for Espresso!

Almost end of work day...

Hmmm. hmmm. more vampires on the list...

Ballista? Sure sure..undead giants...

*** Whistles the tune of Dance Macabre***

• Like 4