Froggy the Great

Randomness XIII: Cognitive Dissonance While You Wait

After getting fifteen submissions out last night I've sent another eleven now today. Don't think there's anyone else I can bombard with my words right now.

Time to go plop.

• Like 7

When the dryer you picked at the laundromat is broken and now you have to go back yet again... *sigh*

• Sad 10

I'm excited now! I remembered Happy Seppuku base stamps exist. Now, Mr. Mouse is going to get me some with the $30 that got refunded from CMON. I guess I'm still getting something pretty awesome out of this. :)

Also, how do I choose only six?

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

I'm excited now! I remembered Happy Seppuku base stamps exist. Now, Mr. Mouse is going to get me some with the $30 that got refunded from CMON. I guess I'm still getting something pretty awesome out of this. :)

I have the exact same problem...  So many intriguing designs there...  Thankfully they're "only" $5 a shot for most, and "only" $7 to ship to Canada, so I can order a handful at a time ^_^

• Like 8

<kicks box full of 1st generation Happy Seppuku stamps under table>  Well generally I would recommend the flagstone and narrow plank stamps as being the most useful starting point.  If you do any steampunk/modern stuff then I'd suggest a brick one like the fishscale one because it's super time consuming to sculpt yourself.  The sci-fi stamps look good but we generally just play fantasy games so I haven't tried them myself.  I like the grassland one for adding just a bit of texture.  Really wanted to buy the temple courtyard one but apparently he needed to make a new plate for that stamp because the old one broke.  (I emailed a couple of weeks ago to ask.)  Instead I got the stone shore stamp, which I've been meaning to test out.  Not sure that I'd recommend the ferns, vines or forest floor because the detail level is only okay.  

Ahem.  Maybe I should go get those paints out like I meant to an hour ago.  Or perhaps the greenstuff.  

• Like 9

Thanks @LittleBluberry

I'm running 2 campaigns right now - Tomb of Annihilation (so, jungles and temples) and the Starfinder Adventure path (so, sci-fi ships and planets). 

On my definitely list is Old World - Flagstone and Jungle Vines and some sort of sci-fi flooring, and some sort of good generic ground. Finally, I want something for pirates and taverns. I want to use these to base all of my minis, so I'm having trouble deciding on just a few.

I plan to use Flagstone for my Mouslings, since it seems like a decent all purpose town tile.

Edited by Paradoxical Mouse
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

If they have the temple courtyard, go with that one!!

27748280_10213466059398167_1362505222532

I've got the warped plank one for my Frostgrave Ghost Archipelago Crew

_20180118_214548.thumb.JPG.4f3f90159a2d3e2c557b9e49935f955f.JPG

• Like 6

5 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

I am a Grumbly Grump - as far as I can make out, there are no local Swing dances going on for St. Valentine's Day this year - but there is one the day after, when we can't make it.

No movies or concerts that interest us. Ah, well, I will come up with something. *EDIT* A dance featuring a band called Barf Horse is particularly unappealing - and the rest seem to be aimed at the '70s, '80s, and '90s... not the '30s and '40s.

Trying to decide what to do for the Kids Game when they wrap Skull & Shackles (I abbreviated and changed it a bit - some of it is not suitable for minors).

Part of me wants to run Reign of Fire (Pathfinder Arabian Nights - with gnolls running around being annoying) or Kingmaker.

Running Kingmaker seems easier, as long as I avoid having the kids do much Kingdom Building, but I know at least some of the kids have seen Aladdin, so Reign of fire is tempting too. (And gives me an excuse to paint up a bunch of Bones gnolls, and maybe buy a box of gnolls from Frostgrave, using the larger Bones gnolls as the nastier characters.).

The Auld Grump

Looks like we will be at an Irish & Celtic Music open mike event for St. Valentine's Day.

Two more possibilities for the kids game are homebrew campaigns that I have not run in a while -

The Orc & Elf War - pretty much the French & Indian War, with the elves as the French, the orcs as the Indians, and the humans as the British -  and dwarfs as their mercenaries.

Both sides also have small numbers of ogre mercenaries.

Guns Everywhere, though the orcs and elves do rely to some extent on bows.

The orcs are not the bad guys, the elves are not the good guys - and things get darker when the elves start paying the orcs for human scalps.

The humans are in for a bad time at the start - neither the orcs nor the elves have any difficulty attacking in the dark. Year Two (of nine potential) adds the trait Night Shadows - veterans of the war who suffer from night terrors, but also get a bonus to wake up when there is something going on.

Opening scenario is just before the war starts, a light bit of river reconnaissance.

I kind of want to rewrite it anyway - my original files were lost when I had a hard drive crash, and the person I wrote it for lost his when his computer was destroyed in a fire at an off base housing apartment. (Brian discovered an oddity in a military career - having his own custom written D&D campaign setting was an unexpected status symbol.... And he discovered that soldiers were a lot more likely to side with the orcs rather than the humans or the elves....)

The other is Breach of Faith, borrowed from the Thirty Years War. The monolithic monotheistic religion is fracturing, and suddenly all the strange old things that had been kept away by the Faith suddenly start coming back.

Commonplace Guns, and some odd views on the use of magic. (The new faiths are very much against the use of Arcane magic, while the Church is theoretically against it, but is willing to sell very expensive Special Licenses to those wizards and sorcerers willing to pay.... Part of what leads to the fracture is those indulgences.)

Opening scenario would be the PCs hiring on as guards to a pair of merchants - a dwarf and an ogre, who are... rather atrocity prone, I am afraid.

More work than using published scenarios, but more room for player hijinks.

The Auld Grump

• Like 7

I have the Square Tile one of theirs that I used for a tiny diorama for the wife when she started her new teaching job last summer.

5a8363a272c0a_02835-JolieFemaleScribewithShelfandBase2.thumb.jpg.216a3c479a691295fb838a7b9e6fde29.jpg

I have thus far, resisted purchasing more of them, although I did back Basius' last kickstarter and picked up a 8-pack from them (that I also haven't used yet)

5a83649fbd4d9_2018-02-1316_17_54.thumb.jpg.89915a38c22cb2fe935ca83c80346ae0.jpg5a8364b5645e8_2018-02-1316_18_26.thumb.jpg.4aaf0ab1d74af9c9210fa6115dce6c9e.jpg

They're kind of hard to see what they'll look like in the reverse-relief..

• Like 10

9 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Making a shopping list for Undead from the Reaper store.

Just to catalogue what I like and might need.

This is harmless right?

Absolutely! Totally harmless, nothing to fret about!!

:devil:

5 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

I should have a list of al the interesting stuff by tomorrow...

If you're already pm'ing that list to Crowley, I'd be interested, too.

2 hours ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

That's going to be the hard part.

Good luck!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Crowley said:

Gotta tell ya, personal space bubbles are pretty awesome. Also, it's fun to fun people/dogs over in them. 

Did that post earlier? Eh whatever...

Satisfying evening. Watched The Avengers, primed some minis, and based some other minis. 

Interview this morning stretched into this afternoon, and I've got another long interview (a different one) scheduled for Thursday. Being a house husband might soon be coming to an end. 

We did this a couple of nights ago. We're trying to watch through all the MCU movies before Infinity War comes out.

---------------------------------------------------------

Today has been long, still more to go. Head hurts pretty bad right now.

I need to deep clean some of my brushes, all but one of my 0's needs doing along with a few miscellaneous things. This will be a 24 hour project. Thankfully, I have one 0 left to do painting that I plan to do tonight. I also need to start working on organizing my paints since I got my swatch book completely set up and ready for paint.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, SparrowMarie said:

We did this a couple of nights ago. We're trying to watch through all the MCU movies before Infinity War comes out.

---------------------------------------------------------

Today has been long, still more to go. Head hurts pretty bad right now.

I need to deep clean some of my brushes, all but one of my 0's needs doing along with a few miscellaneous things. This will be a 24 hour project. Thankfully, I have one 0 left to do painting that I plan to do tonight. I also need to start working on organizing my paints since I got my swatch book completely set up and ready for paint.

I'm not only watching them, I'm blogging my way through them, because... Well, why not. Countdown to Infinity War. Basically me reviewing each movie as I watch them. 

Still need to write up my Avengers review... then it's onto Iron Man 3! And I need to finish the last couple episodes of Punisher before Jessica Jones comes out next month. I wish when panning across NYC they'd show Avenger's Tower... 

• Like 6