Froggy the Great

Randomness XIII: Cognitive Dissonance While You Wait

1 hour ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

My daughter just baked a bunch of cookies for a bunch of her friends (12 of them I think) and called it good.

I tried suggesting that, but apparently the cookies she brought at Christmas were not sufficiently appreciated by most of her friends.  (Who doesn't love Swedish gingerbread??)  Some of the choir kids get to wander the school delivering singing val-o-grams, not sure if the newbies are part of it.  

And for anyone curious, the Harry Potter board game from Knight Models will be hitting Kickstarter in a month.  Squeee!!  

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Well, a bowl of cheerios for breakfast isn't cutting it; I think an early lunch may be in order.

How about some watermelon?

tumblr_mlo9pchprn1rwcfrqo4_1280.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 7

5 hours ago, redambrosia said:

I have a hard time rooting for people at the olympics. Mostly because I want them all to do really well. Like, they're all amazing, they've all worked hard to get there, they all deserve cute cat dolls. I feel so bad for them when they mess up :wacko:

Except the cheaters. They deserve their face plants.

I can agree with this except in the cases where they are overbearing and arrogant. People like that irk me and I take sadistic pleasure in watching them go down like you with cheaters. Otherwise it's nice to see them rewarded for their work and I especially like seeing people from the smaller countries that had no real support do well.

• Like 8

As I said to my husband, when I heard the interview with Shawn White about how he felt like a failure coming in 4th:

"I guess to be as good as you need to be to go to the olympics, being fourth in the olympics would feel like a failure. Cause if you were the type that was ok with being 4th you might have stopped pushing yourself when you were the 4th best in your city, or your county, or state. But to push yourself to the point where you are disappointed that you are the 4th best in the world, and that only pushes you more. Man, that's a tough life to live."

• Like 9

^^  Yup.  There is a reason why my 10 year old decided not to get into competitive swimming.  She's enough of a perfectionist at school that she wisely determined it would not be fun to sign up for more of that same stress.  

Should really take her to the pool more, though, being in the water makes her happier.  Sometimes she just sits on the bottom for a bit.  

• Like 10

4 hours ago, Tripleh5133 said:

Snowing in SE WA. Yuck. But, the doggos seem to enjoy playing in it.

We're supposed to see some Sunday. Really hoping it doesn't hit, too much to do next week to deal with snow.

• Like 2

I and my brother were competative ice skaters. We were training for the Olympics.

I quit. It sucks being in 5th/6th grade and having a full time job on top of school. I got tired of it, not getting to do things my friends at school were doing, competitions all the time...

And the backstabbing, knoblin gerfing hypocrits. Those judges aren't impartial. We were run out of one rink and had to move to another city to find a new coach because the other parents hated my brother and I. My brother won just about every competition he was in. I was too young for those same competitions, but won my fair share in my age groups.

What was worse were the coaches. My first one didn't want to teach me, instead trying to hold out for my brother. I was 5/6 years old at the time and she wanted her fame sooner. Plus I'm a girl, so... my first experience with misogany.

My last coach. Similar, but he preferred teaching boys. I had to beg to learn the axel. My brother and I started training at the same time, though he's 3 years older. He was already learning doubles and I couldn't get my coach to let me out of the kiddie waltz or toe-loops. :grr: And they wondered why I did other people's (more advanced) programmes instead of my own. Yes, I would watch other skaters, memorize their programmes, and then do them. Even the more complicated jumps I wasn't supposed to know.

It was cutthroat. And you kowtowed to the judges. If they didn't like you, it was an automatic point deduction.

I hate figure skating now.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

I haven't disappeared, I simply ran out of free time. There's a reason I never accepted full time employment before. Because somehow working 8 hours a day at a full time job takes more time than working 12 hours a day at 2 part time jobs. How does that work?

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Tripleh5133 said:

Snowing in SE WA. Yuck. But, the doggos seem to enjoy playing in it.

Missed us over here, just got a fair bit of cold rain. It's now partly cloudy, a bit breezy, and chilly.

In other news, had some awesome thrift store and Walmart scores today for my Rey (Star Wars) costume I need to have done by Friday morning. I'm not going for screen accuracy, just "good 'nuff for a weekend cosplay" so with a sorta diamond-patterned dress I discovered at Ross which I'll be hacking apart shortly, plus the PERFECT boots I randomly found at Walmart, plus several yards of drapey gauzey fabric that a friend just finished helping me dye gray, and I'm like 90% of the way there! I already have gray leggings which will do nicely, and for her belts and wrist bracer thingy and arm wraps, I will just reuse the ones I already made for Force Awakens version of her costume two years ago.

But the most important thing is the part I wheedled MrBoot into letting me get for myself for Christmas:

il_570xN.1388658123_3zqk.jpg

:bday:

Note: This is not an actual picture of my lightsaber, lol. Mine isn't quite this fancy looking, nor does it have sound effects, but it does light up when I push the button (though it has red and green as well, so I need to cycle through it) and it's short enough it won't get in my way at the con. Plus it was only $50, which is the best part of all. ::D:

...Now I just need to figure out how to attach the thing to my belt, since it doesn't really have anything that would stop it sliding out of a scabbard/holster. Hrm.

Starting to get pretty excited about this weekend, not gonna lie. :bday: 

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 9

26 minutes ago, LittleBluberry said:

^^  Yup.  There is a reason why my 10 year old decided not to get into competitive swimming.  She's enough of a perfectionist at school that she wisely determined it would not be fun to sign up for more of that same stress.  

Should really take her to the pool more, though, being in the water makes her happier.  Sometimes she just sits on the bottom for a bit.  

Been there, done that myself.  There were plenty of politics even at the high school level, and I had some clubs approaching me to join.  On top of the membership fees, it literally is a full time job on top of everything else...  And if you don't do well, you won't hear the end of it.  For some reason a lot of these clubs being tenth out of three hundred (or other equally epic feat in other things) isn't good enough... A podium financial ish isn't worthwhile if you didn't get gold, etc. 

Meanwhile, one of my hobbies (competitive overclocking) being even in the top 500 worldwide is considered a massive feat, doubly so if you can stay there (I'm happy enough being in the top 1k worldwide, and top 20 Canadians).  I've pushed as high as 327th worldwide, but it... Yeah, it's a full time job that doesn't make you money...  Doubly so if you don't have modern hardware, and you're holding through the thick and thin on stuff 8+ years old... 

26 minutes ago, Marvin said:

If you're not first you're last.

Fact.

flat,800x800,075,f.u2.jpg

Ahh, but then you have the guys who consistently place in 2nd or 3rd, but wind up outright winning the series because of consistency... ^_^

• Like 5